Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Agreed. That is odd not to have addressed the belts at that time.

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    To me that means the owner was trying to have the experience and spend as little money as possible.

That would also ring true to Terry's comment @tazandjan since it's bizzare if you needed 2 tires....and then not buying the matching brand to match the others..... or replace all 4 at once (its even more weird if the ones not replaced are "timed out").

Hopefully whoever buys the car will report in and let us know what they learn so we can all learn together.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Medium Carbon Race seats in my 06 gated 430 Coupe. Fantastic seats. A tad hard. I prefer the Daytonas in my other 430 though. I think the 575 ones are bigger?

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric

The LA based 575 nero/nero with historical "deer" damage, "higher" miles with carbon and sport seats came up again today on BaT.

As a reminder this had been on CL for ages and then also on 2 ebay sales that met reserve and then must have been busted. It also was advertised here and then moderators ended up taking it down/deleting it.

We had a few of our friends here in on the action..... @dhalperin13 and @cshapard

Here are the stats again cut and pasted from an earlier of my posts.....hope we get to hear more about this car.....Dan, send this bad boy to EAG with your other one and get a discount. Wow that would be exciting!

SOLD for $66,666 on 5/17/21 to our friend @dhalperin13
    2002 575M F1 zffbv55a220129726
    +) 46k miles no belt service since 2014....
    +) Nero over Nero;
    +) race seats
    +) carbon trim package
    +) leather parcel area
    +) paint work recently done NOTE TITLE
    +) ONLY 2 FOBS
    +) 129726

5. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    @dhalperin13 WOW!!

Not sure what your plans are for this one but if you want to get your cost basis down even further I’d buy those seats from you if I fit

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Count me in line as well as I'd be up for those seats! ;-)

There is no chance I'd fit but they are pretty cool/rare.

Dan, @dhalperin13 if you do send it to Art, i'm going to be pumped to hear both stories of yours as they unfold. Super neat.

Actually you know what would be really cool is have Art/EAG do one and then buy the kit and have a local to you guy do the 2nd car? Two perspectives?

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- You seriously do not want to mix tire brands front and rear. This can lead to squirrelly and even dangerous handling and braking, especially in the wet.

8. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I appreciate that for sure. It seems so bizarre to do that anyway? It feels weird to me to change out tires NOT doing 4 at a time.

My wife's daily is an electric BMW i3.....I love the car.....HATE with a capital H the wheel/tire combo. They are skinnier than my motorcycle tires, an odd size and they only last around 10k miles on the rears and 15k miles on the fronts....so I've been doing same brand but of course the rears have been more frequent.

9. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    @Ferrar55whoa Eric, I'm hoping to drive this as is for the summer and see what happens when the converted machine arrives. I'll let you know about the seats!

@Mellow_Maranello Alistair, If the seats don't feel right, I'll let you know too.

I am so much looking forward to seeing these! Highly unlikely that I will part with these...

SteveVT and Mellow_Maranello like this.
  10. cshapard

cshapard Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

@dhalperin13 Really interested to see what you find with this car, please keep us posted! Car will undoubtedly gain value under your much more diligent ownership. Best of luck and also let us know how the conversion goes!

11. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    @cshapard thank you! Part of me wanted you to win. I will report back...Going to visit a good friend and the car this weekend! I promise to do the best I can to be a good caretaker of these cars.

From a resale perspective attempting to capture max value, my thinking is that the car I decide to sell should have the OEM wheels (not the 20s on the conversion car). I’m thinking about putting the 20s on this carbon spec, servicing, and then probably converting for a summer daily driver over the winter. Does that make sense?

12. cshapard

cshapard Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Definitely agree on OEM wheels for max resale value, the 20s were something that put me off of 131768, although I'm a big fan of the interior. I think both of the cars you got have WAY more potential with the right service done and presented properly. I might even track down a set of whatever 131768 came with from factory and see if you can get a set of those, sell the 20s separately or have them as an add on when you decide to move that car. Congrats on both purchases, you've got the crown for best 575 buys on BaT right now for sure.

dhalperin13 likes this.
  13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I didn't check Eurospares in the UK for 575 wheels but they have had OEM 550 wheels at VERY good prices.

dhalperin13 likes this.
  14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Today we saw what looked like a really nice 2003 575 F1 on BaT

RNM at $90,000 on 5/25/21
    2003 575M F1 ZFFBV55A830130848
    +) 17,037 miles
    +) Grigio Titanio over Nero Daytona style seats;
    +) 19” modulars which were original to the car
    +) recent major maintenance investment with cam belts/etc
    +) leather parcel shelf
    +) noted sticky button issues; no clutch reading provided; 7 previous owners
    +) All three fobs and original leather holder
    +) 130848
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-18/
    +) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145771671/

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    that should have sold but when 13k mile civics are bringing $$$$$......

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  16. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    I think the seller was correct to hold out for more, to me that was a solid 95-100K car in today's market (though lack of clutch reading may have hurt its value.) Possible the more subtle color combination doesn't appeal to all, but then again it had modular 19's. You never know.

17. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My 2 cents is that at least "today" in the current market it felt like "full money"....especially when you add the $4,500 BaT fee.

@dhalperin13 has (just recently) bought two 575's in the 60's and 70's so would this car demand that high a premium.....maybe......I think Dan and @SteveVT are both going to look real smart (and other guys that bought privately in the $70's).

580 or fewer remaining 575's in the USA is amazing if we all let that rarity sink in (compared to the V8 cars).

In the private market....For argument sake, lets say a nice 550 (perhaps even well maintained) could be had for somewhere in the $110k to $130k range depending on options/miles/etc/etc/etc? To me @rhern213 is a perfect example of patience and solid private market bird-dogging yielding a very desirable car.

Use the arbitrary $30k conversion number for this math....so perhaps it would take something special in my mind for more than $90k on a 575?

For this discussion example....$90k + 30k for manual + belt service $7k? so $127-ish?

Would take an exceptional 575 for me to want to pay something that starts with a $9? For me personally I still feel sheepish I wasn't "smarter" back when the beautiful 575 came up here in Los Gatos in my backyard. With FHP, etc that was a reasonable price (if the BaT fee could have been avoided)....and I mentally keep coming back to that car (I might have pushed if it wasn't Argento). https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-16/ $84k for that car is hard to hate.

A well optioned 575 like this one (assuming a good clutch reading) might make the cut but 7 owners and no historical docs takes a discount?

If I had been selling I would have lifted the reserve....especially if there were any doubts on the clutch.......sold and gone.....

Plus a wise man once said....always do a PPI ;-)

p.s. @Joel Delman I prefer your TdF over the 575 today.

SteveVT and dhalperin13 like this.
  18. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA

I thought that was a really nice car. Should have sold.

19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Today we had a semi-hilarious Euro 575 hammer.....no clue why it went higher than the most recent black/black LA carbon with race seats that Dan bought.

I would consider Dan's purchase at $66k a bargain compared to todays Euro car..... .I assume this car would be very difficult to own somewhere smog testing is involved?

I had assumed this would go RNM for a healthy discount under Dan's recent $66k purchase....boy was I wrong. A Euro car with this many questions going for $70k just seemed bizarre.

If ever there was a car that needed a PPI and a private sale this one seemed like this would be one of those.....

Interested in your guys thoughts?

2003 575M F1 sold for $70,000
    +) ZFFBT55B000132945 based out of Bluffton South Carolina
    +) 48k km's equates to about 30k miles
    +) Rosso corsa over beige;
    +) race seats & carbon trim package
    +) one fender had the embossed shield and one looked like a normal fender with decal or perhaps hand painted? Surely the car had historic damage?
    +) Modulars (Nathan's registry noted the car at some point was on 612 wheels).....leather parcel area
    +) effectively ZERO history and in need of full service
    +) No red fob
    +) Not sure where the car originated....Nathan's registry noted Euro but not country of origin.
    +) I will say the seller was very straight/simple in that he just didn't know much or anything about the car, he took it in trade for something else he had and it was part of his personal collection for some period of time.
    +) 132945
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-20/
    +) I don't recall seeing any threads here or really anything of note on a google search except for the 2010 report on when the car was brought in from the UK.

20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Today was the nearly the opposite end of the spectrum from the last BaT 575 we saw with today's Cars & Bids auction for a very "light optioned" (but what looked beautiful 550 that did not sell.

1998 550 RNM at $130,000 -- that seemed like all the money? I was surprised it was RNM.

+) ZFFZR49A4W0110088 based out of Santa Barbara
    +) 31,432 miles (alleged to be owned historically by Michael Bay and perhaps used in conjunction with BadBoys II according to Vinwiki) conflicting info
    +) Grigio titanio over bordeaux;
    +) I don't think it had any factory options to note. The posting said daytona style seats?....plus tubi exhaust.
    +) Carfax said 2013 accident history, seller claims that was inaccurate and provided paint meter readings. Current owner since 2006.
    +) What looked like extensive history going back to 2002......last major belt service was October 2017
    +) Included red fob
    +) I had noticed and made one comment during the auction that it looked like the trunk and gas opener switch locations were reversed.
    +) 110088
    +) https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KZjA0e0Z/1998-ferrari-550-maranello
    +) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147919485/ Special mention to @Mellow_Maranello who noted this one would be coming soon.

21. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    @rubenpadron - could you please post a link to your car’s photos. I was about to list my car on BaT but the photographer who I used to shoot my other cars moved out of state. Was wondering how good BaT’s photographers are in capturing the Maranello’s beautiful lines and details.

BaT tried to set a lower reserve but accepted my figure without too much pressure. They also accepted my reserve for the Miata which should be going live in the near future.

Il Tifoso and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Gotta love the MX5’s. January 2021 was 20 years for me…..so many adventures, lots of great racing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

root likes this.
  24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  25. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Same here minus the racing. So many memorable top down drives along Skyline Blvd, Yosemite, and Coastal Highway from Mendocino to Big Sur. Sweet little car but 30 years later it got much smaller.

Il Tifoso likes this.