308 with a large roof console? | FerrariChat

308 with a large roof console?

Discussion in '308/328' started by bigodino, May 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I've started to watch this video:

And noticed the rather large roof console in the 308. I've never seen that before and can't find pictures. Is this original? If so, what are all the buttons for?

2. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I may have to hate Tavarish now for how he treats that car.

GTB with carbs. All those console switches are aftermarket. Looks like some ultra stupid sound system.

What's next? Trash the Dino because it's only a V6?

All these guys are is wannabe Top Gear.

85MondialQV, Patrick Dixon and Rosey like this.
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Hi Peter,

Some of the early "Vetroresinas" did indeed have a Panasonic radio in a roof console, a rare factory option; see in the link herehunder at about the end of the page's first quarter the radio options. I'm lazy and don't like to watch videos anyway, but perhaps it matches?

Rgds

http://www.308-328.com/308/308spectechcarben.html

4. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yep - it's the Panasonic roof console. But they've also made mods to the dash and the door panels as well.

5. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

How certain are you that is original? I see nothing on it that looks like it was a Ferrari item. And in all of my literature I find no mention or picture of it including the relevant parts books. Is there any factory document on it?

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Maybe not "factory", Brian, but not uncommon over here; here is an add from 2005 for a car so fitted:

http://www.autodrome.fr/ferrari_308gtb_vetroresina_76.htm
    http://www.autodrome.fr/ferrar_308gtb_vetroresina_radio-cassette_cockpit.JPG

Rgds

SJP 5 likes this.
  8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Another idiotic move, fast forward it to 23:15

9. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    not giving them any views. also - went and put thumbs down on all the series.

Rosey and Tustin308 like this.
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've watched the videos - they are ok. Sometimes even entertaining. The tall guy Ed I know of... cant say that I think he's great at this, he seems stiff... i like the other two guys. I think they have said that the 308 has a Cannon Ball run interior... what ever that means. its clearly not a factory install... It seems the car is really chopped up.

Rosey likes this.
  11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #11 Rifledriver, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    I have no doubt sound system installers were putting them in. In those links nothing about that looks like Ferrari installed it. The console itself looks like a foam core vinyl covered fabricated piece much like many cars used in period for dash's and instrument panels by many European and American makes of the period. Not aluminum or fiberglass covered with leather or vinyl covering like everything Ferrari did.

12. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    At the risk of being contrarian, I've thought the series has been highly entertaining. Ed Bolian is a knowledgeable guy; I could take or leave Hoovie and Tavarish, but together, they seem to have great chemistry. As for the 308, he picked a $30k car in a market where decent ones are selling for at least double that. They bought a pig to make for funny tv, and it accomplishes just that. I definitely don't see it as knock on the 308.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Idiots,

Thank you

Rosey likes this.
  14. teatime

teatime Rookie

Mar 8, 2009
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Full Name:
    Todd A.
    It almost looks like someone removed the center console and then re-attached it to the celling! Yikes! Without a doubt someone really hacked up that interior and not for the better. I see so many things wrong with that 308!

I don't have a problem with these guys trying to produce an entertaining show, as clearly entertainment is the point, however, they could have done the 308 some justice by saying they bought perhaps one of the worst and neglected examples ever. That 308 was trashed before they even started. Without that disclaimer, the casual observer may think 308's are indeed bad cars, when we all know quite the opposite it true.

I also don't quite find the logic in trying to compare the 308 to the 456 and especially a 599, but then again, the point of the show is entertainment. I can't help feeling like they setup the 308 to look bad from the start.

I would have have much rather watched a series where they go on adventures with similar iconic 80s cars against each other....such as 308 vs Esprit vs 911 (or 928) or 80's Corvette..

Jbrauer likes this.
  15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This guy actually bought the 308 from Tavarish and this is his plan:

trumpet77 and Kidasters like this.
  16. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    at 25K - even with parts and labor he will do better. Maybe.

I don't see this being as nice as the 87K GTB that was on BAT a few weeks ago.

17. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I'm glad Wizard has the car.....it will get some attention it deserves in the right direction.....and then maybe the next owner will raise it up a notch further.

eskamobob1, miketuason and Kidasters like this.
  18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Aside from the click-bait silliness of it all the flagrant pilfering of an old Top Gear shtick is a turn off, If you're going to go to the trouble of producing a lengthy YT series at least come up with your own idea.

Rosey, Du_Man and Kidasters like this.
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Just rubbish viewing.

Kidasters likes this.
  20. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    In my defense, I didn't finish watching this episode. I like YT channels like Tavarish, Goonsquad, Hoovies etc. but I'm not a fan of the Top Gear contest rip off. I stopped watching Top Gear many, many years ago for the same reason.

So in conclusion such a roof console could be period correct, but not factory.

Rifledriver likes this.
  21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    This is more my cup of tea. Glad to see this 308 getting sorted out, although certainly not to concourse standard. I have a hard time believing the low mileage nor that the interior was done like that early on in its life, probably later? It also looks like the insides of the doors are a darker red?

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've watched the car wiziards videos here and there... he's really stiff... but that's fine. I'm not sure of the purpose of some of his videos... I like the ones where people actually do work on the car, describe it etc... Home Built by Jeff is my current favorite one... and Harry's Garage videos are very very good.... Ian Tyrrell as well... really good insight, the right cars etc... the Car Trek - its fine, you don't learn much, I'm sure they are nice guys, Bolian has a bit of a reputation for some quirky business... but nothing really bad... I just dont like the flirting with the underside of life... and these cars... the disparaging remarks about 308's and Ferrari owners as well... stick to the cars and not judgments.

Kidasters likes this.
  23. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I appreciate the Car Wizard guy, he's just a mechanic sharing his world, comes across as a genuine guy.

Kidasters likes this.