NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 84 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had a 246 Dino for 15 years. Sold it in the mid 90's. People then just saw it as a old slow and rather crudely built car.

2. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Fifteen years ago or so, there was a Ferrarichat member that used to rant and rant and rant about how only V12 Ferraris were REAL Ferraris. Everything else, he claimed, were Dinos, or some marketing nonsense wrongly named by Ferrari. Anyway... As we all know, the mid-engine V8s can all trace their lineage to the 246 (206) Dino. That's a great, proud heritage, and can account for a large measure of Ferrari's success. In that light, Dino is a WINNING name for Ferrari. I think that legacy is easily explained and understood by this current group of buyers. For the most part, I think the old belief that Dino is representative of a lesser, non-Ferrari car is just that...old and quickly dying away.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I wonder if all the rich people driving horse and buggies were this upset when Henry Ford introduced the Model T.

Change is inevitable. Technology is here and it ain’t going away.

Bring on the LB- I’m excited to see it.

4. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Will not be called Dino... right.

What about Ferrari Ferrari Dino Ferrari? Just to make clear it's not a sub-brand.

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  5. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I personally don't see anything wrong with the name Ferrari "Dino".

MarkTodd, ingegnere and SVR like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Senna1994 likes this.
  7. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think this is probably a result of biased sampling similar to manual Ferraris. Ask anybody on Ferrarichat if the want a new manual Ferrari and the overwhelming response will be YES and yet what percent of new F430s were manuals?
    My guess is most people cutting a cheque for a new Ferrari would walk away if its is named a Dino. Isn't it enough to that they have to buy a V6 instead of a V8, highly doubt Ferrari will compound this problem by associating it with the Dino name. I agree with @TheMayor that if this is an F8 replacement then chances of association with the Dino name are small.
    Naming/branding for a luxury goods producer matters a lot.
    An apt example would be the uptake (or lack of) of iPhone Mini even though till last year every third person would say how they wanted a small iPhone.

8. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Just so there's no misunderstandings, using Dino as a re-brand or sub-brand is not a good idea IMO, but using it as a model name only ("Ferrari Dino" complete with all usual Ferrari logos and emblems) is harmless and will evoque Ferrari history as any other past name used. Will sell perfectly fine, which is what matters in the end.

That's just my opinion, and it's not even a guess, not sure about real chances for "Dino" model name, but just in case they chose it, I would find it OK.

ingegnere, SVR, dustman and 5 others like this.
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hey I actually agree with you.

But let's look at a little history also....

When Ferrari first jumped from V12 to V8 the first cars were called "Dinos" and not "Ferraris", even though they were sold in the same dealerships.

Then that didn't work so they rebranded the 308 GT4 as a Ferrari and sales went up. Then they made the 308 GTB (which kinda looks like a squared off Dino IMO), promoted it on a popular TV show, and it became their biggest seller (flaws and all). This led to the path to V8 sales being called "Ferraris" then and forever without issue.

Now they are switching to V6 hybrid and after this, all electric.

Do they want to try Dino again for that switch? I really doubt it.

I'm sure Ferrari is market testing different names but aside from people on Fchat, most likely a Ferrari brand name would probably have the best potential.

Senna1994 likes this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just to be specific (nitpicking), the initial jump was from V12 to V6, not even V8 (Dino 206 then 246). The Dino 308 GT4 (V8) was introduced later (as Dino) and was rebranded to Ferrari, while the 308 GTB / GTS were presented as Ferrari from the start.

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Also to be noted, today a V6 246 Dino (not even a rarer 206) commands a (significantly) higher price than a V12 365 2+2 of the same time. So the negative perception of the Dino name is questionable.

Mickyd329 likes this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So you are denying that the Dino 308 GT became the Ferrari 308 GT just to increase sales? If so, you are ignoring history.

It was the only reason this branding switch of the exact same car happened. Only the badging changed.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think you are saying exactly what I said. The V6 cars were intentionally NOT branded as "Ferrari" but Dino. The first V8 cars were branded as Dino while 12 cylinder cars remained "Ferrari". Then, in an attempt to increase sales, the V8 cars started to be branded NOT as Dinos but as Ferraris. The Dino name was dropped entirely.

That's just fact.

IMO Ferrari marketing will want to do everything to avoid people saying: "Its not a true Ferrari". Hell even California sales were was hurt when people called it a Maserati for starting there and being moved over to the Ferrari brand.

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not at all, but this was then and this is now.
    Also at the time Dino was introduced as a different brand, whereas today Dino would be used (if selected) as a model name.
    Certainly relying on the stronger brand to increase sales has always been the easy and lazy way, while promoting a "lower" brand to preserve the prestige of the upper brand is always tricky. Ferrari proved it again when they miserably failed with Maserati and ended up going down-market with the Ferrari branded California.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm not sure what we are arguing about.... seems like we are saying the exact same thing.

But the Dino brand was dropped because cars sold better as a Ferrari brand. The question is --- is that still true today. I think it is. Aside from the nostalgia of the name "Dino" this car has nothing in common with it other than the number of cylinders. Its unlikely Ferrari will want to risk every V6 car ever made on that idea.

Would the F40 be considered a masterpiece today if it was branded a Dino?

So no, it won't be called a Dino (even if I personally would prefer that)

16. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Exactly. No re-brand or sub-brand, just a name, which, in my opinion, has way more character than generic/bland italian words like Pista, Stradale or Competizione.

17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Of all people, with your avatar you should be strongly advocating to Ferrari that it be named the Ferrari Dino! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ingegnere likes this.
  18. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    the original one

19. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I don't think it's a V6, it sounds just like a regular SF90.

20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    According to some, they are just testing a new camouflage.

456-boy and red passion like this.
  21. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  22. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    From the passanger door, the engine compartment looks quite big(long).

9nb likes this.
  23. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    F2003-GA, Jonathan19 and 9nb like this.
  24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I’m really liking what I see so far. Looks more compact than SF90 and design language looks purer, hopefully more in line with Monza design language. Has a definite Dino feel also.

Not sure if it will have a visor type wrap around windshield as you see indications under door glass of a more traditional Ferrari arched roof line. If it does have a visor windshield and retains the shape of the side windows, the greenhouse will be very similar to the Stratos!

Senna1994, F140C, 9nb and 3 others like this.