348: best spacers setup / tried them all | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348: best spacers setup / tried them all

Discussion in '348/355' started by henkie, Nov 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. candellara

candellara Karting

Jul 16, 2006
    Chichester, UK
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sorry Andy, yes i've type 1 spacers all round 15fr and 25rr........and ideally want to get away with not buying any new bolts as the Ferrari indie that fitted the spacers didn't give me my old bolts back :-(

AndyHls suggested running as they are - 25mm rear and 15mm front with no clearance issues?

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

If I understand your question properly, you need to toggle all of your bolts

Currently, you have 25mm Type-2 spacers on the back. Those wheels are threaded into the spacers using a standard 348 55mm bolt.

In the front, you have 15mm Type-1 spacers. Those wheels are threaded into the hub using 55mm+15mm length bolts.

If you move the front 15mm spacers to the rear, those "long bolts" must go to the rear also. The shorter bolts must move to the front where you'll have no spacers. A normal (non 94 spider) with no spacers and standard wheels uses the same size bolt on all 4 wheels (55mm from the base of the head to the tip of the thread).

It might be too early in the morning for me.... but did I understand your query properly?

3. candellara

candellara Karting

Jul 16, 2006
    Chichester, UK
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi Daniel,

No, I'm currently running TYPE 1 spacers all round - 25mm rr + 15mm fr with 355 wheels

Jason

4. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

F355 wheels run 52mm bolts all around.

Your current rear bolts therefore must be 52mm+25. They will not be reusable in the front because they're too long. You're local to Hill Engineering (lucky dog!!) so give them a call and I'm sure Dawn or Carmen can get new bolts shipped ASAP. You need stock 355 bolts.

Your current front bolts therefore must be 52mm+15 and can be reused on the back with the 15mm spacer. As you move those bolts to the back, examine the threads very carefully for any stripped, stretched, or otherwise damaged thread. Any sign of damage, you should replace them -- as we've all seen the results of Pap's bolt failure down in Australia.

-d

5. candellara

candellara Karting

Jul 16, 2006
    Chichester, UK
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Daniel,

I'm sure that the CH rims have the same offset and are the same size as 355 wheels? If so, i could run my current set up?

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #31 PAP 348, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1 ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. candellara

candellara Karting

Jul 16, 2006
    Chichester, UK
    Full Name:
    Jason
    All bolts were replaced with Hills items when the spacers were fitted :)

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    ;) Nice one Jason :)

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    :eek: is your 348 one of those g-queens :(?????

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Not at all mate. :):)

The only reason I havent done many miles in the last 2 years with it, is because this place is small and sooooooooooo boring.
    I LOVE my Ferrari, but I drive around here for 20 mins, then I get bored and take the car home. :(:(:(
    There are no really nice places to drive my car, so I get bored and park it back up. :(:(

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Wow...... :( ...... are there any twisty roads out there?? What about local hang outs??

BTW, where do bands play around there??? There should be some fun going on there right??

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

This is just a small 'hick' mining town goth............:p:p
    No twisties, no local car hangouts. Nothing but open flat roads which are boring. :(:(

Police presence here is also huge, so you DO NOT want to get caught doing anything silly in your car!! :(:(

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Mount+Isa,+QLD,+Australia&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title
    (I live in Ivy Street. ;))

http://www.mountisa.qld.gov.au/index.php?s=theisa&c=photos

We have a few pubs where local bands play. Not tooooooo bad. Drink beers and watch a band play. :):) Late at night afterwards often leads to fights. :rolleyes: Thats when Pap gets outta there, OVER that sh*t! :eek::eek:
    Will never see anyone famous come out here mate. We have a population of around 23,000 people here. :):)
    Not much else goes on here. Very boring!!

Thats why I should sell up and come live in LA! :D:D

13. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Henkie,

I agree with your somments entirely, and have been running with 25mm spacers on rear with standard pressures for soem time now - as well as wider, larger wheels all round.

The car has extremely good grip and handling for its type.

Jas

14. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi all,

Soon my car will be finally with me. If nothing goes wrong, this week it will be polished and painted so that it looks new again. Right after that, my mechanic will do a major service... I can´t wait to drive it. :)
    I am also buying some goodies while I wait and spacers are on my list. I have read this thread several times but I am a little bit confused with Spacer type 1 and 2., didn´t know there were two types.
    I wil buy aluminum spacers 25mmx2 and 15mmx2. The 25mm spacers for the rear are sold witht he bolts but they are not included with the 15mm spacers. Do I need to buy a set of bolts fot the 15mm spacers?.
    Sorry guys but I am lost after reading all the responses.

https://www.ebay.es/itm/393056578881

https://www.ebay.es/itm/284115572348

These are the ones I want to order..

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Post 16 & 17 back on page 1.

16. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks a lot, Ferrarium. I appreciate your response but as I wrote before, I read every post a million times and I am not sure if I didn’t explain my self right or the answer to what I am looking for is not there.
    Don’t worry, I will buy what I posted before and try if they are fine for the car and if the 15mm can be installed with standard bolts.

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Type-2 spacers come with tiny little bolts which attached the spacer to the hub. Then, you use your stock Ferrari bolts to mount the wheel to the spacer.

Type-1 spacers come with new bolts which are 11mm (or 15mm for example) longer than stock bolts. The spacer is hub-centric and kinda 'sits' on the hub. The longer bolts go through your wheel, through the spacer, and thread into the hub itself.

Ricky_rkt likes this.
  18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    FYI I had rubbing on hard turns when hitting a bump like driveway curb with 11mm spacers. Watch with 15s for some time..of course ride height plays alot. My front was way too low (really common as many think it's looked better, all it does is Jack up the handling and rub fenders)

Enjoy the ride, congrats!

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ricky_rkt likes this.
  19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ricky_rkt likes this.
  20. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    With the Ebay 15 mm spacers, you will need to also buy 10 longer bolts (+15 mm) as they are not included. With the Ebay shown 25 mm spacers, you use the original bolts.

It may be better that you buy Hill Engineering spacers as their 15 mm spacers come complete with longer bolts and their spacers are of superior quality. Their 25 mm (Type 2) spacers have steel threaded inserts and the Ebay ones do not.

25 mm : Ferrari Wheel Spacers (hillengineering.co.uk)
    15 mm : WS015 Wheel Spacer (hillengineering.co.uk)

However, you may consider using 11 instead of 15 mm or nothing at the front as both, 11 and 15 mm spacers have been reported as causing tyre rubbing the wheel arch at sharper turns (over bumps). On my 348 (medium height setting), 15 mm caused rubbing when going over bumps and the steering turned to one side. Happened twice on my car so I removed the spacers.

Ricky_rkt likes this.
  21. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    Wow!, thank you all for your explanations (and the Hillengineering links). Now I have a better idea about what to order and maybe the 15 mm/11mm front spacer is not a good option after you showing me your results. One thing that I don’t understand is using the original bolts with the 25mm bolts when they are a lot thicker than the 15mm bolts, why is that?.
    Don’t you think that not adding any spacers on the front will look like the car is not compensated, or look weird?. Maybe adding 10mm/5mm?.. if your recommendation is none, that is what I will finally do.

22. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    Something that is quite interesting is that Ferrarium and Stojanovic mentioned the ride height. I see my car quite high, is it possible to regulate that on the 348?. When I read about the medium height setting that made me think it is possible. I would prefer not using spacer on the front and lower the car.

23. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    Don´t worry guys, I searched it and just found it.
    It is possible, these are great news. I will lower it a little bit, not much. :)

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Maintain factory chassis rake specs when lowering specs are in the workshop manual. Good luck.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Ricky_rkt

Ricky_rkt Rookie

Mar 30, 2021
    Madrid, Spain
    Thank you Ferrarium, I will try to find that information. Non of the books are in the car, the information is lost and I am trying to contact the previous owner.. not easy. The most important thing is that the car is in excellent conditions.