Comparison and Observations on GTS vs. 812 SF and Lusso | FerrariChat

Comparison and Observations on GTS vs. 812 SF and Lusso

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 575joe, Nov 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    In 2018 I got an 812 to replace my tdf, which in turn had replaced my F12.

I absolutely love the 812. Without a doubt the very best high performance car I have ever had.

I drive all my cars quite a lot, winter and summer, so place a lot of weight on how livable and useable my cars are. (I got rid of the tdf because I found the combination of the bright color (Rosso Fuoco), and manic drivability was just too much for frequent cruising round).

I also love convertibles, so whenever possible I buy the convertible version of cars.

So when my all-time favorite car, the 812, became available in a convertible, I had to have it.

I ordered it exactly the same color as my 812 – Grigio Titanio – which is both elegant, and somewhat stealthy. I can drive the car frequently with minimal attention.

My plan was to keep both cars for an evaluation period, then decide which of the 812 and GTS I would keep.

Since I loved the 812 SF so much, I expected the comparison to be difficult – and it was. I had to drive the cars back-to-back many times, over a few weeks, before I could definitively decide which one to keep.

Sound:

You will by now have read other drivers’ summary of the sound.

As has been said, the sound of the GTS is different than the SF, but not necessarily worse.

I must say, that I still do prefer the wail of the SF to the more throaty, bassy tone of the GTS, but above 6000 rpm, both are very impressive, and lovable.

One thing that did surprise me, was that even taking into account the open roof or back window, I believe that GTS is actually louder than the SF. I find this to be a bit annoying, (since I do drive may car a lot and want to avoid upsetting my neighbors where I live, or beside me on the road. It actually makes me drive more conservatively than I would prefer, to avoid generating what I perceive as excessive noise).

Comfort/Structural Integrity/Handling:

A big/pleasant surprise.

I find that with the roof closed, the GTS is at least as quiet and comfortable as the SF. Even with the roof open, the structural rigidity is excellent. I have not perceived any cowl shake. Far better than my 458 Spider. Comparable to my AMG SL63.

I sense no negative impact on the car’s handling from being a convertible.

Performance:

I had been concerned that with the added weight I might have to give up a bit of the acceleration, but figured that since the SF was so extraordinarily fast, I could live with a but less performance.

The jury is still out on that front.

I believe that above 6500 rpm, the acceleration is very comparable, and comparably crazy-feeling and sounding. Between 4000 and 6500, I sense that the GTS is a bit slower. Less responsive. That has improved a bit as I have been driving it, and using 94 octane fuel, but not yet fully settled.

As I said, I had been prepared to live with a bit less, but realized that since I had become accustomed to the manic acceleration of the SF, I was not happy to make do with less.

Bottom line, the SF is more manic/crazy than the GTS, but it is close.

Interior room:

Although I believe that the specs suggested the interior room was comparable, but by my measurements, and my feeling inside the car, I believe that the seat travel is almost 2 inches less than the SF, making it a bit snug for anyone over 6 feet. (I am 5 feet 10, and find it snug).

Which one to keep?

Turned out to be a tough decision, but my love for topless driving swayed me over to the GTS.

Hope to keep this car for a long time (or at least till the 812 GTO arrives ).

Comments on the Lusso:

Had a hard time convincing myself that I should get one, since I already had the 812.

I eventually decided to get it as well.

Very happy with that decision.

It is still very much a Ferrari, but more relaxed, more comfortable, and you can truly take it anywhere at any time.

I am loving the car, and doing more miles with it than any other previous Ferrari I have had. My wife loves riding in it with me, while she is reluctant to accompany me in the other Ferraris, as I tend to drive them with a bit more enthusiasm, and hence less fun for the passenger.

I highly recommend it as fun/sporty/luxury car, for anyone making the luxury/sportiness tradeoff.

I love the sound of the Lusso – nice compromise between V12 wail, and not so excessively noisy as to upset the neighbors.

2. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Great write up, thanks for sharing your observations.

One question I have is the weight difference between the SF and GTS, Ferrari.com lists them as:

SF 3593,5 lb
    GTS 3627 lbs

Or 33.5 lbs (15.2 kg) difference, or

SF power to weight = 4.49
    GTS power to weight = 4.53

Seems pretty insignificant for acceleration or seat of the pants feel. Do you really think you can feel that, or is it possible you are sensing something else, perhaps open vs closed cockpit sensation or manufacturing variance?

3. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    how does the lusso's sound compare to the SF and GTS? how does its drive differ?

SECRET likes this.
  4. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    It is very good.
    I actually like it the best.
    It is less manic than the SF and more melodious than the GTS. Really good overall sound.

Boomhauer, Caeruleus11 and SECRET like this.
  5. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006

The Ferrari published weighs are always unreliable.
    By their spec the GTS is about 200 lbs heavier than the SF.
    Entirely consistent with its complex roof mechanism and extra stiffening bracing.

6. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Some additional input.
    Today I drove it about 100 kms on highways and traffic.
    I used auto mode (hardly ever do that) and used the adaptive cruise control.
    The car was spectacularly comfortable. Very easy to drive. Except for it being very snug fitting, you could drive this car a very long distance.
    Definitely quieter and more composed than the coupe.
    I realized the reason for the noticeably quieter cruising, with the windows closed, is because the rear firewall and window seal off the rear section off more than the coupe. With that sealed off you get much less road and rear end noise.

7. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #7 uhn2000, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Hey @575joe thanks so much for the reviews, looks like you got one of the first cars in Ontario - congrats! I have a GTS on order, Status 50, NeroD on Rosso. I am 6'3 and I fit perfectly in my recently sold 812SF, I am a bit worried with what you told me regarding seating position and comfort. I have already had to deal with tight fit in previous open top cars (reason for not ordering as many).. was hoping this one would be fine. Bah.. I hope there is some room for my long legs. I too love to drive my cars more then most and was hoping this would be an ideal cruiser... maybe not!?!

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and SECRET like this.
  8. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #8 klinkman, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    where are you seeing that?

I actually think the rear hatch and glass is quite heavy on my SF. Eliminate that, add the roof mechanism, I don't know. 200 lbs above that seems a lot.

Even the numbers on say 488 coupe (3241) vs 488 spider (3362) isn't 200 lbs and that model doesn't have a hatch.

9. gds7368

gds7368 Rookie

May 28, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Great review. Thank you. Some pictures would be fantastic !!!

sampelligrino likes this.
  10. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    On the Ferrari UK website the 812SF is 1525KG Dry weight compared to 1645Kg Dry weight for the 812GTS. This difference of 120Kg translates to 264lbs.

11. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks John

I seem the problem, I compared "dry weight" to "weight."

Apologies to OP.

12. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The “snug “ fit is of concern to me as I am 6’2” and use all of the 812S seat travel now. My GTS was due in spring 2021 but have delayed it wanting to at least sit in one and hear it for myself

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They don't really compare. The Lusso is for all intended purposes very soft and comfortable. The steering is also much mor docile compared to the 812. One is a GT the other is a sports car. The 812 has more in common with the Pista than the Lusso.

The 812 is a fun car the constantly tugs at the reins to be let loose and properly eggs you on. The Lusso is a fun four seater with an engine that is a proper masterpiece. Best thing is that the Lusso and 812 are so different that they can coexist in the same collection as a perfect pair.

of2worlds and uhn2000 like this.
  14. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
  15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Don't forget the GPFs (4-way catalysts) add significant weight...not just the roof mechanism and other chassis / frame changes in the GTS vs the 812SF (no 812SF in North American have GPFs)...

16. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I’m 6’5 and just fitted in a SF. Sat in a GTS today and was no where near fitting which sucks. Both had comfort seats. I reckon I’d fit with a bucket seat bolted directly to the floor but that’d defeat the purpose of a Comfy GT cruiser IMO.

wrs likes this.
  17. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    The GPF exhaust as fitted to my 991.3GT3 RS WP is actually 10Kg lighter than the one fitted to the pre GPF RS's exhaust. This is due to the GPFs replacing the heavy side mufflers. Same situation with the new Roma and might be the case with the GTS and/or GPF 812SF.
    Either way any 812 including SF or GTS is a heavy car with 800HP which makes an extra 200lbs pretty much insignificant.

Caeruleus11 and BarryK like this.
  18. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just wonderful.. "tall buyers beware"..

of2worlds likes this.
  19. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I was told the same at the GTS unveil at Fiorano last year: no weight penalty from GPF on the 812GTS.

Any evidence to support this in the case of 812GTS or is this your (usual) speculation?

Avia11 likes this.
  20. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I a little over 6' 2 and I fit very comfortably in my 812 GTS that has the racing seats. I also prefer the CF racing seats and find them to be very comfortable and look really good. At a quick first look the CF seats in the 812 GTS are slightly different to the Speciale, I'll confirm when I pick up my car next week.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX

As for comparison to the Roma, Ferrari made a news release regarding removal of silencers
    https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/auto/ferrari-roma/share/powertrain/powertrain-focus

but not mentioned for the 812GTS so I presume silencers (mufflers) are retained, so no weight reduction there.

https://corporate.ferrari.com/en/ferrari-812-gts-v12-spider-returns

"Optimised calibration of the car’s magnetorheological dampers mean its elastic set-up is the same as the berlinetta version’s despite the 75kg increase in weight caused by strengthening work on the chassis."

from here:
    https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/auto/812-superfast
    DRY WEIGHT 812SF: 1525kg

from here:
    https://www.ferrari.com/en-US/auto/812-gts
    DRY WEIGHT 812GTS: 3627lb (1645kg)

DRY WEIGHT 812SF: 1525kg
    DRY WEIGHT 812GTS: 1645kg

DIFF: 120kg (264 pounds)

Apparently 75kg weight gain is chassis reinforcement (per press release linked above), and (120kg-75kg), leaving 45kg additional weight gain that is apparently additional weight from GPFs, which is entirely consistent with the fact that GPFs must displace the same volume as the engine thereupon attached (i.e. they are large, heavy)

Bottom line, the 812GTS is 120kg heavier than the 812 SF (pre-GPF)

22. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006

6 MONTH UPDATE
    I was finally able to take the GTS out for a really nice, long spring drive, top down, in ideal weather.
    While I have been quite happy with the GTS, I have to confess that I have been having some regrets about substituting the GTS for the SF, based solely on the SF's more traditional V12 wail at mid-high rpm.
    I really do miss that pure high pitched V12 sound (still).
    The GTS sound, (as many others have written, does in fact seem to improve a bit as the miles add up), but it still is not quite as sweet and pure as the SF was.
    (My enjoyment of a car is heavily influenced by the sound of the engine. For example, while the F8 is objectively faster, handles better, is more stable, and more comfortable than the 458, I ultimately decided to keep my 8 year old 458 instead of my new F8.)
    BUT today, in beautiful weather, top down, I decided that I made the right choice keeping the GTS and trading in the SF. That book is finally closed in my mind :)
    It is a hell of a car.
    And by the way, as much as I like the mid engine V8's, there is nothing like a Ferrari V12 singing above 7000 rpm.

23. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Since you have owned both (F12 & 812), how would you compare the cabin size/room for a tall driver in the F12 & 812? About the same...or one offer more room...in your opinion?

Thanks!

24. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I think you made the right call! I also swapped my SF for the GTS and am very happy

If the only real drawback for you is the sound of the GTS (specifically, the wail/scream of the SF is missing), I would seriously consider swapping the GPF and stock cats (which is one unit) for some 200 cell cats, plus add an x pipe. I have done this and it sounds great - the wail is back. Above 6k revs with the roof down is absolutely epic!

klinkman, Caeruleus11 and Shack like this.
  25. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Many people are saying that GTS is louder than SF without GPF so I am agree with your description. Regarding the v12 Lusso I think you did well to keep it , only almost 2000 has been produced , its style is very classic and will always been nice to see it on the road . Moreover if really she will not have a successor it is quite obvious that this car ( the v12 ) with that great sound will be something special that will likely also go up in value.

Caeruleus11 likes this.