Wanted - Gated 360 Coupe/Spider - Clean title, <$85k, High mileage okay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wanted Gated 360 Coupe/Spider - Clean title, <$85k, High mileage okay

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by WillskiGT, May 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Baby-mobile will almost certainly be an FF as they are ridiculously cheap given the performance level. The M4 GTS will have to go away to make it happen, but that's okay.

Exactly the kind of car I'm looking for as I have no problem with miles or incomplete documentation. I'm extremely handy and not worried about the value impact of doing my own work.

GT500JR likes this.
  2. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Have you considered buying an F1 360 and converting to manual shift? Selection far greater, lower mileage, better color and option selection. If you have a lift and tools, the conversion does not look too difficult or several shops offer the service. ROI on your install cost should wash if and when you sell with stick market demand.

3. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    The conversion definitely looks fairly easy from a mechanical standpoint and I have a full parts list needed to complete it.

The problem is parts availability. Before they started making their own (in my opinion rather expensive) kits, EAG bought up all of the supply of hard-to-find parts like the shift gate plate, shifter housing, outside gearbox controls, clutch/brake pedals, etc.

So you'd likely have to buy an F1 box car and then it would sit for many, many months while you tried to find the parts. Best case scenario is that you'd find them from wrecked gated manual cars, as Ferrari is unlikely to ever make a new production run of many of these hard-to-find parts ever again.

eskamobob1 likes this.
  4. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Parts from a wrecked Ferrari manual would be prohibitively high in todays market. No idea current kit cost. But if $20k for example. Clean F1 360 with 20~35k miles for $60~$70k. Own a manual 360 within your budget. Allows color choice, spider or coupe, options desired etc.
    I could be off base. No idea F1 market either!

WillskiGT likes this.
  5. fernanjos!

fernanjos! Rookie

May 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jose Fernandez
    I have a 2000 360 Modena in blue with beige interior. The car runs and drives well but it needs a new clutch, brakes, tires, alarm module and window module. The car has almost 15k miles. It's an F1 car but I know a shop that can convert to manual for around $20k. If you're interested you can DM me.

6. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Not interested in F1 box cars, but thanks for reaching out.

7. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    robertjskelton likes this.
  8. idlook2

idlook2 Rookie

May 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I may be interested but I don’t see a way to send you a message. Can you DM me?

9. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    That mechanic is a scumbag and if I didn’t contact an attorney, I definitely would have put 1* reviews on any website I could find. Unbelievable.

I think you will find the car you are looking for. I’m generally bullish on the long term prospects for gated cars, but a lot of other “hot” driver’s-grade collector staples that went nuts in the last year have started to fall off a cliff in the last 6 weeks or so. R8’s, Astons, Maserati 4200’s among others are noticeably down from peak. Just waiting for dealers to catch up now. Interest in well-priced 360’s is still extremely high, but cars priced high-market seem to be sitting for longer than they were the first half of the year. I think you’ll find what you’re looking for. Good luck!

10. sp1viper

sp1viper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 2, 2016
    Dallas
    I am in the market as well, and have seen some come and go quickly ...

@WillskiGT Curious to hear how it all turned out?

11. BooE

BooE Karting

Dec 13, 2020
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Mike bouey
    Just bought one as well. The ones that are priced correctly sell really quickly. Within a week.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

WillskiGT likes this.
  12. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Anything in this price range that doesn't have stories is gone overnight (or faster).

There are lots of "interesting" cars out there if that's your thing:
    • Yellow / tan coupe in SoCal with a 3rd gear grind that seemed like a fake ad, ended up being real and then got flipped on eBay for ~$70k.
    • Red / black Euro spec spider in Miami with no title (owner is in Mexico with the title presumably) for $77k
    • Yellow / black coupe in Ohio for $84k (no stories, just high mileage and sold instantly)
    • "Immaculate" red / tan spider in the Ferrari newsletter for $84k with a respray and accident (maybe washed title, not sure, didn't look any further)
    • Salvage red coupe in Michigan that was listed at $59k. Buyer tried to flip it to me 2 weeks later for $85k (LOL)
    Lots of flipping/churn going on. Cars that were listed and sold in April for $80-90k now listed at old price + $20k by new owner.

13. eskamobob1

eskamobob1 Karting

May 9, 2020
    SoCal
    Lol. I was wondering if you got the cali car. Was gone within a day

14. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    This is a tuff one and is a bad idea. You might find one at this price but will cost $$$$ in the long run.

Find a well sorted car you love and buy it.

15. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Entirely false. It's almost as if you didn't read my first post where I specified "well maintained".

40-60k miles aren't a big deal if the car has been well kept. They are, after all, just a car. Mods can close this thread.

robertjskelton likes this.
  16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    He's right. mine has almost 57k on it. The lack of F1 really makes a difference in the reliability of these cars. Almost wish I would have seen this thread while you were looking.

Chrisv123 likes this.
  17. eskamobob1

eskamobob1 Karting

May 9, 2020
    SoCal
    His point is that a well maintained one in this price range will be like a needle in a haystack...

18. robertjskelton

May 15, 2019
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    This one is on Bring A Trailer now: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-ferrari-360-modena-10/

But add in the buyers fee and it'll likely go much higher than your budget.

That yellow/tan one you mentioned in Cali is up for sale at $90k now: https://www.classiccardeals.com/Listing/292918/1999-Ferrari-360-Modena.aspx

I remember seeing this one on the LA Craigslist for $65k maybe 2 months ago.

If you go a bit higher, this is $104k: https://boutiqueautohaus.com/car-for-sale/used-2000-ferrari-360-modena-000119643

And I saw one in Belgium in a FB group for ~$92k USD, but you have to deal with the headache of importing.

Midenginer and JSinNOLA like this.
  19. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Wanted to thank everyone for their comments and leads.

I made a commitment to purchase a lovely 360 manual coupe yesterday. Money will be wired Monday and it will be here sometime the week of July 5th. Very excited for it to arrive!

Midenginer, BooE, OrmondStar and 4 others like this.
  20. eskamobob1

eskamobob1 Karting

May 9, 2020
    SoCal
    gz on the find!

21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Pics or you're lying! ;)

iMrMark, eskamobob1, JSinNOLA and 2 others like this.
  22. dakilla

dakilla Rookie

Jun 18, 2006
    NYC
    Congrats!!
    I’ve been looking for one too. I regret passing on one a year ago for 85k. A 14k mile car. Still haunting me.

Out of curiosity what did you end up getting?
    Year/mileage/accidents/price?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds, eskamobob1 and TroyNVie like this.
  23. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    #49 WillskiGT, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Ideal spec (in my opinion): 2003 Nero on nero, Daytona seats, shields, rear challenge grille, 27k miles, no accidents.

[​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    [​IMG]

patina, dakilla, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  24. robertjskelton

May 15, 2019
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Wow great purchase! Where did you find this one for sale?

eskamobob1 likes this.