Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 2021 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - 2021

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Dec 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Who's planning on attending this year?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I'll be in Monterey at Concours On The Avenue and a couple of other events but not PB. By Sunday I'll be up in the Bay Area visiting friends.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I heard on a business news program that Mercedes and Rolls Royce would not be attending and that a couple other manufacturers are scaling back. Hopefully 2022 will be back to normal.

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m sure 2022 will be back to 100%. I don’t think it’s any surprise that the corporate presence will be very scaled back this year. As much as I love the complete experience of Monterey week, for me it’s all about the Concours d’Elegance.

colombo2cam and Nospinzone like this.
  5. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I have booked my fights and rooms - Looking forward to it.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #57 HMB-Dino, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Latest status on Car Week;
    - Legends of the Autobahn will not be at Pasadera like the last several years. They claim to be close to securing a new venue. Also, it's moving from its usual Fri to Sat. Registration not yet open.
    - Werks Reunion will not be at Corral de Tierra like the last several years. No news yet on where they may be for 2021. Registration targeting June 16th open.
    - Pebble Beach Tour de Elegance cancelled their lunch time stop in downtown Carmel this year. Tour will happen, just don't expect to see it stop in Carmel.
    - Carmel Concours on the Ave has yet to secure a permit from Carmel. Carmel has been struggling with downtown businesses desire to keep their `parklets' on Ocean Ave and several of the side streets normally taken over by the Concours. Businesses say they need the extra revenue as they are still very restricted on indoor dining capacity (25% right now, hopefully going to 50% this coming week). Last I saw, city council will allow the parklets to remain for up to 90 days after businesses can have full indoor capacity. I don't know how Concours can happen when so much space on affected roads are inaccessible. It would be a logistical and safety nightmare if those parklets are still present. City council could always change their mind and require the parklets gone by Car Week, but of course event organizers need significant warning of such a change to still pull off an event.
    - Pacific Grove Auto Rally is on and registration for it is open.

of2worlds, JimEakin and plastique999 like this.
  7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #58 HMB-Dino, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    - Automobilia Monterey was cancelled for 2021
    - since Carmel hasn't yet issued permits for any downtown Car Week events, that would mean that the Prancing Ponies event is also up in the air
    - Carmel Mission Classic cancelled for 2021
    - Exotics on Broadway (formerly Exotics on Cannery Row) cancelled for 2021
    - Ferraris at the Barnyard is on for 2021, but there seems to be some confusion on whether or not you need to be an FOC member in order to exhibit a Ferrari for free.

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thanks for the update

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So, seems like perhaps half or more events may not happen at all and rest, if happening, with significant limitations/restrictions.
    While not really surprised, I must say too bad as I had hoped to attend a few and have once-a-year opportunities to see some old friends from around the world.
    Well, maybe next year.

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The easing into something as massive as Monterey Car week isn’t surprising. The Pebble Beach Concours is the crown jewel of the week, and it will be spectacular as always. Add to that, The Quail, major auctions, and plenty of other events, and it will still be a spectacular week.

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    diminished crowds?! woohooo

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thank you very much for this information. Much appreciated.

Marcel Massini

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Quail is happening… I and a few friends entered our cars. I’ll be displaying my TDF and will rally up with friends in my FF.
    Staying at Monterey Plaza hotel.
    Even if it’s quiet, it will still be epic.
    Fine cars, fine food…. What else could you ask for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I’m sorry to see that Exotics on Broadway is canceled. I enjoyed that more than when I entered Concorso Italiano in prior year.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Enough events to make the trip worthwhile. When I lived an hour and a half away it might be different but keeping flight and hotel reservations hoping the clowns in charge make smart decisions for the financial well being of the area is just too much to ask

Well a week was just freed up on my calendar.

16. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I may have mentioned this previously, but the central source for Car Week event status is here...a lot easier than visiting tons of individual event websites. Still the majority of events are planned to go on.

https://whatsupmonterey.com/article/activities/monterey-car-week-overview

I've submitted a couple changes before when learning about events that were cancelled and they do update the site as they get new info. Being local, I hear and read anything to do with Car Week to determine what to attend and where to exhibit that week.

Of course, if capacity restrictions are still in place for events that do happen, events that are `closed' to the general public (eg, indoor auctions, events requiring tickets, etc) have the advantage of controlling the number of people in attendance. But open events such as Carmel Concours on the Avenue have no way of controlling capacity so are more at risk to not being able to occur. I certainly hope Concours on the Ave can happen...it's one of my favorite events and not just because it's FREE!

17. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    You might feel that way ("clowns in charge"), but Calif currently has the lowest infection rate by far of anywhere in the country because of its policies and its very high vaccination rate is a large factor in that. I can also tell you that it's already quite crowded again...I kind of miss the lack of crowds experienced the last 6-9 months.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #69 Rossocorsa1, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021

This is a great resource. Thank you for sharing. Looking the site over, there is more than enough for any car nut to enjoy.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Anyone on here showing a car in the concours this year?

colombo2cam likes this.
  20. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    @plastique999 mentioned that he is showing his TdF.

21. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    Agreed and if Amelia Island is yet a small but representative data set of current car event attendance, then Car Week will be well attended.

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you. I saw that. I was specifically referring to the Pebble Concours d’Elegance.

23. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    We have a pre war Alfa 2500SS at pebble beach concourse

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I may not have as extensive attendance record as many others here, I’ve been going to Car Week events since early ‘90s and while I think in past 10 or so years it has grown over-crowded, -priced and -scheduled, I’ve always enjoyed most of it and do hope it’ll survive all this.

OTOH, being somewhat realist, with a healthy(?) dash of pessimism, I think it might be too early to be “for sure” which if any events will be happening at all and if they do, it will likely be a lot less crowded (very good), but also have less events (good IMO, unless cancelled events are ones I personally prefer).

Besides, vast majority of cars (and many events) displayed/seen in most of the events are of no interest to me, but as I’ve mentioned previously, making new acquaintances/friends from around the world and meeting many that I only see during the week is the probably the main reason I enjoy it all.

After 4+ decades in this hobby and few hundred thousand miles of driving vintage cars, including those I’ve ever lusted after or otherwise found (personally) exceptionally interesting, I’ve either owned or seen on plenty of occasions and short of a chance to actually drive ones I still would love to own but will never be able to afford, I don’t get overly exited of seeing any in static displays, be it in a collection, museum or show field.

Heck, just yesterday, returning from yet another, absolutely wonderful 180+ mile Sunday drive, including 60+ mile stretch of spirited driving on ACH in my Roadster accompanied by couple of younger enthusiasts/friends in one of theirs A-R Spider, we encountered what appeared to be nice (restored) 1932(?) Lincoln Coupe cruising along on the freeway and I just can’t help but having much more respect for its owner (driver ?) than any BoS winner, if latter is not seeing similar use.

Texas Forever likes this.