250 GTE leaking fuel pump | FerrariChat

250 GTE leaking fuel pump

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fiatosca, Apr 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    The mechanical pump on my GTE has started leaking. Car runs extremely well, just pretty heavy drip coming from pump while running and it appears as though the leak is coming from the top cover. I've read other threads about the difficulty in rebuilding the entire unit so I'm wondering if it's possible to simply remove the top cover and replace that gasket without removing the pump from the car.

Bob

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I remember there is no gasket, the gasket itself is the membran, but not sure. too long ago I did this and also have rebuilt some other fuel pumps.
    could you post 1 or 2 photos? then I will just remember - hopefully :)

3. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #3 John Vardanian, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Hi Bob, I had a similar problem. What you observed as a gasket is actually the diaphragm (#6 in diagram). Sometimes overtightening the six screws (#31) can warp the flanges of both the top and the bottom halves, then fuel will leak from the joint. You can tape a whole sheet of 600 grit paper to a sheet of glass and mill the flanges with light and even strokes. After a couple of swipes on the paper look at the flange to see if you are getting uneven sanding marks. If yes, keep milling the halves until you get uniform sanding marks on the flanges, which means you have now removed the waviness from the flanges. I would apply soapy water to the paper as you go on this exercise. When reassembling, remember to not over-tighten. Use a sealant on the flange of the wet half. Good luck.

john

Attached Files:

635CSI likes this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    bob, so you mean gasket no. 12?
    I think more the leak is from membran no.8
    can you see exactly where the fuel comes out? just let only the electric pump run and try to find out. if only coming out a very little clean the pump, put some colored chalk powder on and let the electric pump run. you will see soon where the color changed.

5. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    It seams to be coming from the area of #12

6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Bob,

if it is just coming from 12 you can change the gasket and do not have to touch the membran. It might be hard to do it in place because of the limited space and the springs pressing against part number 3. If you need to remove the pump to do it it is only two screws and the two hoses.

See that the flange of the pump is straight when you have the top removed.

635CSI, 375+, turbo-joe and 2 others like this.
  7. marcow

marcow Rookie

Mar 10, 2006
    Pomona, CA 91766
    Full Name:
    Marco Piehl
    H Bob,
    I have rebuilt quite a few of those pumps. I would recommend removing the pump ( it is quite a mission) because if one seal is old and cracked the others might not be far behind. It is a bit of extra work but might be worth it in the long run. It is relatively simple pump so once it is out of the car it is not that bad. Good luck.

christc, turbo-joe and fiatosca like this.
  8. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Don't forget to drain all the fuel from the gas tank otherwise it will gravity leak out and make a big mess. Most of the FISPA mechanical fuel pump kits availible are no good.

9. stavri

stavri Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Bucks County, PA
    John’s post is correct. ALL the surfaces tend to warp and should be checked and flattened as he describes and then replace with the correct ethanol safe components available from most suppliers.

10. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Well i finally got around to the task of rebuilding pump. Removed and disassembled and diaphragm looked fine but I replaced both it and the upper triangular gasket #12. Sanded both sides of housing surface as flat as I could with wood block and 600 grit. Reinstalled and still leaks. I did not use gasket sealer but can't imagine that would be the cause. Is it possible that the housing is cracked? I can't imagine it spontaneously doing that while it was on the car prior to my removing it.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    not use gasket sealer ! ! !
    I think the housing then is cracked. had this also once.
    dry the pump and clean from outside. then put powder from your wifes face masking on and see where the powder get wet first. then you will know.
    you had the pump out? if so then I wonder why you not have seen anything wrong

12. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Yes had the pump off and disassembled, was not looking for cracks and did not see anything unusual. Funny thing is the leak started spontaneously on the car which is why I removed it for rebuild. Can't imagine how it would crack while on the car

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    could it be that not the housing is broken, only the fuel hoses adapter leaking?

14. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    OK I got up this morning, drained tank (again) and tore pump apart (again). Flange appeared warped so I sanded flat in a more meticulous fashion. Put it all back together and no leaks! Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    great ! ! !
    you may use fiber gaskets for the adapters, no copper and no aluminum ones