New 360 Spider F1 and CEL | FerrariChat

New 360 Spider F1 and CEL

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tridentecavallino, May 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hello,

a few weeks ago I bought a 2004 360 Spider F1 so my F355 Spider is not alone anymore.

A cold start after reconnecting the battery leaves the car running fine with no CEL even if a drive for several hours.

When I stop the engine and restart it when hot sometimes the CEL lights up.

Left ECU throws these messages:

P1427 purge valve short to ground
    P1121 rear oxygen sensor short to ground
    P1104 air flow meter low input
    P1119 front oxygen sensor short to ground
    P1113 rear oygen sensor output low
    P1198 ?

Right ECU reports no errors.

For me it sounds like a problem with the left engine wiring (several "short to ground" errors) or am I wrong?

Thanks.
    Thomas

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’ve read engine grounds can come loose.

See if you can check a diagram to find the ground or grounds for those items. Maybe they are on the same ground?

ive also had instances where a random set of codes pops up... I record them.., then erase them and see if they don’t come back.

you might get lucky.

3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Could also be a pinched wire harness somewhere.

4. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thank you for your fast replay.
    The set of errors can be reproduced. If I erase them they appear again but not always in combination with the CEL.
    I will try to check the wiring i.e. the part below the left black engine bay shields.

5. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    The previous owner's mechanic of my 360 explained to me how some of the codes it threw in the past were remedied by cleaning and retightening grounds, as well as checking connector pins to see if they were dirty and/or pulling out. It's laborious as you follow likely harnesses and check the connectors and grounds as you progress.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Wouldn't a "short to ground" imply that a signal wire or power wire was shorting to ground? Although, in the latter case, you would expect a fuse to blow.

Note that none of the items mentioned have a traditional "earth". Apart from the power wire, all the other wires go to the ECU. The LH exhaust bypass valve also uses the same power.

They do have a common power wire going through plug 31L/2T (near the ECU).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As suggested, I would look for a crushed harness. You could perhaps check for the correct voltage on the purple wire running through 31L/2T with the fault evident (i.e. if the plug allows backprobing without disconnecting the plug) with ignition ON. Another access point to the purple wire is behind the LH seat (plug 10H/22H)

Here's the wiring diagram for the spider:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/7O1q1nQq1hsCNxQ9

Tridentecavallino likes this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #7 Qavion, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
    For info, fuse 60 on the Spider provides power to the above items.

I think the wiring diagram I posted shows the fuse number for the coupe. I'll correct that at a later date.

Look for signs of stress on the fuse and fuseholder. i.e. melted plastic, etc.

8. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hello Qavion,
    thank you so much for this very detailed info.
    I will check my Spider at the next best opportunity and report what I find out. It may take a while since I do not have much time for it.
    Regards, Thomas

9. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Today I had at least time to check the fuse. The user manual of my 2004 Spider states that it is Fuse 58 (15A) "lambda probe" and this one is ok.
    I expected this since there seems to be only one fuse covering both sides and the right side has no problems.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Curious. Is your car F1 or gated? That might explain the number differences in the Spider Users Manual that I have. This also reminded me that there was an unresolved discrepancy between the wiring diagrams and the User manual. I'm having trouble finding that message thread.

I'm pretty sure there are two fuses. Check fuse 38 in your handbook... or rather the fuse number which corresponds to this blue fuse behind the right hand seat (in case there are numbering differences):

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thomas, if you find some free time, would you please check the colours of some fuses for me behind the right hand seat (I mean actually look at the fuses, not look at the User Manual).

I think there should be a 30 amp green fuse in position 37. The handbook shows a 5 amp orange fuse. See the diagram above for fuse positions. I believe the User Manual and the Workshop Manual is wrong.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147837420/

12. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    My 2002 Spider has a 5 amp orange fuse. Would pictures be helpful?

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Very helpful, thanks Lars. If the WSM and Owners manual is incorrect, I hope no one has used them to reconfigure your fuses!

I'm not sure how to resolve this discrepancy. It's not a matter of simply swapping two wires in the diagram.

14. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    PM'd you the photos.

Qavion likes this.
  15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Lars. I see the orange fuse is in position 37 and the green fuse is in 41 (contrary to the wiring diagrams)

If anyone else has any other colour fuses in these locations (behind the right hand seat), please let me know. I can possibly swap over 4 wires to make the diagrams agree with the actual car.

Sorry for the "thread creep".

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Lars. I see the orange fuse is in position 37 and the green fuse is in 41 (contrary to the wiring diagrams)

View attachment 3142634

If anyone else has any other colour fuses in these locations (behind the right hand seat), please let me know. I can possibly swap over 4 wires to make the diagrams agree with the actual car.

Sorry for the "thread creep".

17. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hello Quavion and all the others,

my 360 has the F1 gearbox.
    Fuse #38 behind the passenger seat (LHD) is present and for the right Lambda sensors. I must have missed that fact.
    So there are 2 fuses für the Lambdas, left and right side are hence clearly seperated.
    The #58 that I checked was a 15A fuse (blue) as it should be concerning to the users manual.

@Quavion: at the next opportunity I will also take some pictures of my opened fuseboxes behind the RH seat. Mine is a very late late 2004 Spider (with originally updated stronger F1 Relais and a 211023 F1 ECU).

Regards, Thomas

Qavion likes this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the feedback Thomas. If you do get the opportunity to take some photos, this will also tell me if your car has a Rear Window Heat relay (#52 or equivalent).

You would expect that the Spider would not have one, but the wiring diagrams show a relay there. Also, Lars (lkstaack), who also has a Spider, has a relay in this position. The 2003 Spider Owner's Manual shows no relay there. The Rear Window Heat relay seems to be required to provide power to the mirror heater fuse.

19. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hi,
    Position 37 is also 5A on my 2004 Spider. 41 is green (30A).
    Photo sent to Quavion via PM.
    I also have a red 30A relais for the heated rear window though it is a Spider.
    Thomas

Qavion likes this.
  20. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The problem is solved.

The metal shield of the left cat temperature sensor cable destroyed the isolation of one of the 2 white cables for the rear oxygen sensor heating.
    The rough shield acted as sandpaper and over the time the soft isolation was rubbed of (only a small spot).
    I really do not know why this did not knock out the responsible fuse since the temperature sensor shield is grounded.

I fixed it and also modified the cable routing. All the mentioned erros are now sustainably gone.

Qavion and EastMemphis like this.
  21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    One of the white heater wires will be the earth anyway. So perhaps no problems for heating, but the earth wire goes to the ECU. It should be possible for the ECU to detect a problem with the wiring.