Flag logo question for Ferrari historians | FerrariChat

Flag logo question for Ferrari historians

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by VS2K, May 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VS2K

VS2K Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    NE
    The other day, I gave a friend a ride in my 550. The ashtray has the crossed Ferrari and Pininfarina flags. My friend made a comment that they must have copied the Corvette logo. I have my doubts about this since Chevy often take design cues from Ferrari. However, I’m curious to know for sure. The best information I could find online is that Ferrari began using this crossed flag logo in 1953. And that Corvette started using theirs when the first Corvette rolled off the line in June of 1953. But which came first?

2. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Not sure about the flags, but I think most will agree that the C8 has some (A LOT) of design cues from Ferrari. But when you think about it though does it matter? A Corvette will always be a Corvette, a Ferrari will always be a Ferrari.

Rifledriver likes this.
  3. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Well Chevy has used the flag design on more cars than just the corvette, and of course crossed flags in general are a symbol that predates Chevy, but also, the corvette logo has been changed about 10 different times with many examples not even resembling flags. Compared to the flag design in the 550, the Ferrari design is not only closer to the original, it still has direct meaning towards the designer of the car, pininfarina. So depending on which logo your friend is referring too, the 550 logo is probably more original than the vette, however I don’t think either brand copied each other

Lusso123 and paulchua like this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The Pininfarina flags are maritime flags used for signaling and the flags chosen are letters representative of the manufacturer. They changed when Pininfarina changed their name from Pinin Farina to Pininfarina. So, those flags actually have a meaning relative to the cars.

Corvettes flags are just generic racing flags.

Attached Files:

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The Vette crossed flag was unveiled in January 1953 (Bartholomew) at New York's Waldorf Astoria. The only thing I could find is Pininfarina released their crossed flag in 1953 as well. (what month though?.) But as @Booker stated, crossed flags are not exactly new so I'm sure that symbology has been used before. I do understand your question though, who used it first in an automotive flourish?

Perhaps @Marcel Massini would know or @TOOLFAN

VS2K likes this.
  6. VS2K

VS2K Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    NE
    Thanks for the responses! Good information on those flags! Lately I've been getting more interested in automotive history than ever. And it's neat to know about details such as this.

paulchua likes this.