430 - One of my precat o2 sensors is in closed loop | FerrariChat

430 One of my precat o2 sensors is in closed loop

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, May 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    This is an Odd one. One of my pre-cat 02 is in closed loop. But the other pre-cat O2 sensor is an open, and reading live data. Even more strange I don’t have a cel. I found a thread where someone had something similar going on but it was a while back and there was no resolution. Anyone have any ideas? Needless to say I ordered a new O2 sensor. For reference car has headers and no pre-catalytic converter’s And runs well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Use a meter to compare the resistance reading between the sensors. Sounds like one has a broken wire, so you should be able to find it

4. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Yeah something is amiss. Once the car is warmed up all the sensors should be in closed loop and relying on actual feedback from the sensors not the default settings in open loop.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Could be the ECU thinking it is still cold caused by temp sensors, could be o2 sensors, could be tool as well .. so you have a cheap elm dongle with a simple torque or EOBd facile

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

6. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    These readings were taken with my Launch X431. Temp seems fine when checking values with the tool. I will poke around some more. What is odd however if I select EGT it shows a value of -25. I am not sure if the tool should be picking up a value for EGT however.

Anyone with launch get a temperature reading when they select EGT?

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    On the header.. there should be a thermocouple .. not sure if that is playing into this

Number 19 on parts diagram

8. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Yeah it’s there- but I think both my thermos are damaged. I am not sure if they interface with o2s. It’s I tereting one side is reading.

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I am thinking the thermocouple tell the ECU to go closed and then it starts to use o2 sensors

10. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I think you are right. I switched o2 side to side. No change. I then thought I would do the same with thermos. When I removed them both discovered one of them was jingling around inside and the element was broken inside. My theory is that when one thermo is bad it will go in open loop but will actually throw cat protection codes for both banks because it triggers a slowdown light. It was too late to restart the car to confirm as I moved the thermo to the other side to see if that side would go to closed loop. Pics of the good one vs the broken below. What a pain in the ass.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

EastMemphis and Qavion like this.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A bit more than a broken wire is that.

12. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Crazy right - I was super careful with them too, so this happened just from the sonic blasts from my exhaust gas..lol.
    It's a stupid system and apparent why Ferrari ditched it as they progressed with the f430 and Scud.