575M - F1 to Gated 6 Manual Conversion | Page 3 | FerrariChat

575M - F1 to Gated 6 Manual Conversion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dhalperin13, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dan- I hate DHL. Always try to use anybody else. They have screwed me on customs a couple of times.

mathewr likes this.
  2. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Well, Taz gets to the bottom of it as always. Fabio has confirmed the order!

Onto page 3 and aesthetic project wish list:

Top Priority - Leather Repair - Feedback Requested!
    EAG has a relationship with an upholstery shop so we should be receiving an estimate and scope of work soon. I am attaching an estimate that I found with the documentation I received upon delivery of the car. Seems a little too reasonable for what is going on here. I have seen quite a few sets of pictures of 575s, and a number of them have had similar degradation...just not too many to this extent. Would love to hear to what level you have tried to successfully or unsuccessfully address. There are really two main areas of concern:

- The dash: This bothered me less than the rear panel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

- Rear Panel: Every time I looked in the rear view mirror, this caught my eye!

A proposed solution from August 2020...or maybe a poorly executed solution? I can't tell...

3. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    Dan, I just exchanged e-mails with Fabio and was so excited to hear you're going with his system as well! I'll be a little behind you on the gated conversion but put down my deposit with EAG today.

Since our cars will be remapped with the conversion I was wondering if there would be any sense or benefit in doing a more comprehensive remap in connection with the 6-1 headers?

dhalperin13 likes this.
  4. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    This is going to be a great build to follow. Cannot wait for more updates.

Those panels should be fairly easy to repair on the dash/shelf. If EAG has a reputable shop, that's what I'd go with vs. hunting for a reliable shop.

5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am absolutely LOVING this thread!

6. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #56 franschman, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    On the leather;
    On my 456 I took off and reattached all the leather that was suspect of coming loose. Removal of all the parts is relatively straightforward, starting with the rear seats working your way up to the ceiling panels. The leather can be peeled off slowly but relatively easily without leaving any marks. The dash leather had in two places shrunk too much to be glued back in, so I stretched it slowly by attaching weights (with thread and needle; many attachment points and several small weights) and a dayly dose of water on the leather. After a few weeks the leather had stretched to its original length. I left it to dry for a few weeks and then glued it back on. Perfect result. Not difficult, but time consuming which in my case was not a problem. Ceiling panels and door cards didn't require stretching and could be glued back on.
    I used Renia Col de Cologne in combination with the additional hardener. The hardener is very thin, reducing the glue to a paint like substance that can be applied like paint with a brush. Apply both sides, wait a few minutes then carefully reattach the leather working your way from one end to the other being careful not to include air bubbles. It's a contact glue, so on is on and no moving afterwards! Larger panels go better with a second person helping. Be careful when using this glue, the fumes are not exactly healthy. Ventilate well!

Edit: this glue: https://districtleathersupply.com/products/renia-colle-de-cologne-contact-adhesive-cement

Spider2400 and dhalperin13 like this.
  7. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Alistair @Mellow_Maranello , Robin @brogenville has advised that we would be foolish not to :).

Mellow_Maranello likes this.
  8. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hoping for some guidance on some new tires as the current rubber on the 20" rims is over 10 years old. The current sizes are 255/30/ZR20 & 325/25/ZR20.

Any objections with the order below?

9. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    What! Not Pirelli's?! Blasphemy! :D

dhalperin13 likes this.
  10. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    @rhern213 LOL.

I find it interesting that there are currently two different sized sidewalls (front v back). I am not familiar with the reason why? I felt that the car could have used more sidewall as it was...

Suggestions welcome and appreciated!!

11. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dan, sidewall is a measure of the tire width called aspect ratio - the sidewall is the % measurement of the tire width. Your sidewalls are 30% of the 255/F and 25% of the 325/R. The front-to-rear delta isn't quite as substantial as you'd think... I think it's a little under 6% variance in sidewall height with the tires you've selected. I'm not totally sure what variance is acceptable, but to me, 6% of already very low-profile rubber isn't much.

dhalperin13 likes this.
  12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The sidewall size is a ratio of the width, so if the tyres are different widths, the sidewalls will invariably be different heights.

325 seems pretty wide though; I thought 305 or 315 was as big as most people would go? Not sure if 325 would give rubbing issues?

Can’t argue with PS4’s though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

dhalperin13 likes this.
  13. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Plenty of room for 325 in the back. Based on the pics on page 1, the current tires specs look good and you cannot go wrong with a PS4.

dhalperin13 likes this.
  14. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    You guys are the best. Thanks!

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You want the diameters of the tires to match on a Maranello within 4-5% of OEM F-R differential, or the ABS will act up. OEM tires are ~26" front and rear, and yours match well at 26.02" F and 26.39" R, only a 1.4% difference. Actual diameter does not matter as long as the front to rear differential is close to OEM.

dhalperin13, rhern213 and SteveVT like this.
  16. dhalperin13

dhalperin13 Karting

Mar 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks Taz!!

17. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    New owner of a 2004 575 here, watching this thread intently... Was thinking of doing this conversion when I need a new clutch (right now at 35% wear), figure might as well deduct the cost of a new F1 clutch from the conversion price and it feels a bit better that way:)

So what's the general consensus, if there is one, as to how a manual conversion might impact the car's value down the road? Have any conversions come to market such that there's been any real-world evidence? Not that I have any plans to sell, but would be concerned about spending $$ that later lead to a lower perceived value in the market, should I ever decide to. But of course you can't put a price on the smiles rowing through that gated shifter...

18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #68 Ferrari55whoa, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Joel... I was doing the math on your car when I originally called the dealer and that’s why it was in the #1 spot for me on the 575 list.

I thought it would be unique to drive and experience the F1 and then do the conversion “someday”.

The conversion is about $30k.

Many say Wil de Groot is the best (not arguing) but EAG is set to start cranking out 575 conversions (and/or kits) like they have 430’s.

The 575 unarguably is “evolved” from the 550 so my thought is a converted 575 trades higher than an equally equipped 550 but probably way less than the ultra rare OEM 6MT 575.

the issue with the 550 is it’s hard to find a fully optioned car whereas it feels easier on the 575.

your color and spec is perfect....or really close if not perfect.

I told the dealer I had to be starting with an “$8” and that boat didn’t float so I moved on because we had seen a handful of interesting 550’s in the $110-115 range AND I kept getting hung up on the fantastic BaT Grigio 575 from my home town (Los Gatos) that sold last year (without looking) I think at $85 so that seemed like a Max for a 575....the single exception being the car @Qksilver bought with Fabios full set up....that car obviously higher....

This one seemed really good but I personally didn’t want Grigio Titanio, Argento or Rosso Corsa.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-16/

just for discussion purposes...if you paid in the low $90’s or even better $80’s then you would HAVE to be “money good” on a conversion?

Joel Delman likes this.
  19. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    I paid a number starting with an 8, heard the price started quite a bit higher when first listed but they realized the market just wasn't that high for a car with 35K miles, however well cared for. So yes, assuming no unexpected maintenance needs, I do think I'm in the money for a conversion. As I said think I should have 1-2 good years left on the F1 clutch based on my mileage habits, so will think about it then. Perhaps I'll take to the F1 and not even want the shifter, who knows... And that should also give me time to see how a few of these conversions sell too.

20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Love the strategy. In LA I think the F1 would be great.

Joel Delman likes this.
  21. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am taking a similar approach re the F1 conversion. I am fascinated by what EAG and others are doing and really enjoying learning about the process. However, I want to give F1 ownership some time to see how I like the transmission and also see how these conversions hold up - both mechanically and in the market.

Joel Delman likes this.
  22. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    I bought my F1 575 knowing I wanted to do a conversion. To me the gated set up is part of the allure of the Maranello, especially aesthetically. My prior experience with owning and driving early F1 style transmissions, led me to believe converting the 575 to gated would also be an essential modification for the driving/ownership experience.

After about 800 miles in my first month of ownership I’ve realized that is simply NOT the case. My expectations of the 575 F1 were for it to be “fair” to “adequate” at best. However, after a mix of highway, stop and go in town errand running, spirited canyon drives, and even a brief 25 minute track session I’m willing to go as far as rating the F1 as “good” :).

If you don’t want a manual the F1 575 is a fantastic car. Absolutely no need to convert if you don’t want three pedals. Also reinforces the widely held belief on this forum that F1 575’s in the $80s or really any price point they’re going for these days, represents one of the best values in the market.

I’m going forward with the conversion because I want to own a gated Maranello not because the car needs a foot operated clutch (cough early Vanquish cough cough).

I wouldn’t worry about the value of the post converted car. If you bought a 575 for under $90k and then are into a gated car for under $130k (less than basically any 550 goes for), you’re going to be fine.

23. Shannakaye

Shannakaye Rookie

May 16, 2021
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shanna Hendrick
    I have a crazy question. What is this on my Ferrari?

24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Agreed completely - good post.

25. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021