488 - Lifter kit for 458 | FerrariChat

488 Lifter kit for 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sig. Roma, May 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I’m thinking of a 458 but my drive has a funny shape to it. From the drive to the crest before the pavement, the incline is 8.9 degrees, and from the crest to the street, the downward angle is at worst 10 degrees. Does the lifter option only raise the front? And if so how much. The length of the crest to street is 2.7 meters. Will the car bottom? All responses appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Lifter is only the front. Continuous slopes are no problem without it, I think it’s really steep increases or really large bumps you need it for. If I get a chance I’ll measure the length and height of the front and rear overhangs lifted and unlifted tomorrow but you can probably find that online.
    Some people believe that lifting the front actually lowers the rear a bit but I don’t think it’s noticeable so I really want to measure and see :)

Sig. Roma likes this.
  3. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Thanks

4. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Note my mistake, degrees should read percent. Max is 10% from street to crest, and 8+% from drive level to crest. Sorry.

5. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I am also interested in the height difference since I am in a similar situation and looking to add a 458. My 328 barley clears my driveway.

What I also noticed is the wheelbase. Longer wheelbase will be more difficult to clear the hump in the driveway.

Sent from my HD1925 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sig. Roma likes this.
  6. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    The front lifter is lifting the front end by approx. 40mm. By simple maths this means that the rearmost lower corner of the diffuser fins goes down by 9/10mm at the same time. Whether this is noticeable or not is up to everybody, for me 10mm may mean a lot of money.

7. hotlurve

hotlurve Rookie

May 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    ian s
    not only the drive to consider as well ……us in the uk love traffic calming measures

8. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I think the lifter kit with 40mm lift at the front and lowering of the rear by 10mm would probably work in my drive. Need to look at the dimensions. My concern is bottoming between the two axels.

9. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Do you live nearby a Ferrari dealer? Perhaps they have a 458, 488 GTB or F8 available for a test drive, which are all similar in ride height and you could swing by your house on the drive to test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ask the F dealer to bring a car and try it !!

In most cases you do not need it ...

12. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Dank u wel !!

Melvok likes this.
  13. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Dank u wel.

Melvok likes this.
  14. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    There is only one here in the area, and was looking at a picture of the rear defuser. From the published owner's manual, it appears the rear defuser is literally the same height above the ground as the standard ground clearance which is 11.2 cm. I want to be prepared when I go to the dealer to discuss.

15. Cunnamulla

Cunnamulla Rookie

Apr 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Once you activate the Front Lifter and negociate the slope and drive off, does the Lifter automatically lower itself without any action from the driver?

430jm likes this.
  16. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    Yes, at about 30 mph, the lift is automatically dropped.

17. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I have that problem. I have a 458 with a lifter it just makes it in and out my driveway without beaching.

My Mercedes C180 beaches and thats a stock car and one would think it can make it vs the Ferrari but it cannot.

The lifter makes a big difference and without it the 458 would beach for sure.

Once liftedI have about 20mm clearance at the lowest point just under my seat area as I go over the crescent.

430jm and Sig. Roma like this.
  18. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Ps. Buy yourself some sliplo and install them. They will give piece of mind. They won’t stop damage at speed but if you are crawling over and catch the car they are a life saver

19. Cunnamulla

Cunnamulla Rookie

Apr 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks.

Sig. Roma likes this.
  20. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I measured the lift on my 2013 today. At the front bumper it's a noticeable 2" (50cm), but in back it's almost indiscernible, which makes sense given the distance from the pivot point (rear axle) to the front is roughly 128", but the distance from the rear axle to the back of the diffuser is about 1/10th of that. I should go back and repeat this with a tape measure under the low points and actually get all this in focus and from fixed positions:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login