Best seat leather replacement | FerrariChat

Best seat leather replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308inSD, May 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The driver's seat in my 82GTSi is split and the upholstery shop I visited said it's not repairable. So it looks like I'm in the market for replacement leather seat covers. This seat is the original leather AFAIK. It's a shame to have to replace the factory leather, and I want the replacement to feel as close to original as possible. I'd appreciate any opinions from folks who have replaced their leather. Who offers the kit that is closest to resembling the OEM leather? From a search on here it seems like TopsOnline offers a good option? Any others?

And here is a pic of the seat, in case anyone disagrees that it must be replaced.

Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Some information I found out about tops online this year while trying to persuade Vic to do the complete interior of my Euro QV. Was told due to the pandemic no one wants to work anymore. (Per Vic)
    Said they would be happy to sew the kit but can no longer offer installation. Should point out that Vic is a terrific gentleman to deal with and was very happy with what they sent me when I had them do my 1982 308.
    Spoke with Gahh Upholstery and then World Upholstery in the Los Angeles area. Decided I would try World Upholstery but after some back-and-forth discussion was told they no longer offer installation and would have to find someone in my area to install the pieces which I feel very uneasy about. Started looking on World upholstery‘s website and lo and behold, came across pictures of the tan interior that they in fact produced and installed for my vehicle and Contracted through tops online. I know these pictures are of my interior because the door panels I had the speakers covers removed and carpeted and as someone on this site pointed out, my passenger seat bottom was shown with the pattern facing the wrong direction. Had not noticed this until someone on this site pointed it out. So world upholstery in fact made the interior for my previous car not tops online. Price had gone up substantially also. Cost me $7200. five years ago and that included installation. This time around it was $7000 just for the kit. I decided to not move forward with the project and try my hand with Leatherique restoration products this time around.

I did have my dash recovered this winter by “best way auto” in Los Angeles, owners name is George and I was very happy with the pricing and final product. Might want to give him a call

3. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My upholstery shop ordered the leather from Gahh, and it came out fantastic I think.

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    If the rest of the seat is in good shape, ask the upholstery shop about just replacing the leather on the side bolster.

The side bolster on my driver's seat was badly worn (but not dry or cracked) when I bought the car in March 2013. Advanced Interior Restoration Services simply replaced the leather on the bolster, carved new bolster foam and redyed the leather (whole interior).

The replacement leather on the bolster is indiscernible from the original. Here is a photo shot just a few minutes ago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

waymar, moysiuan and Du_Man like this.
  5. stoked_7

stoked_7 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2020
    USA
    Looks fantastic

waymar likes this.
  6. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    That’s an interesting option I didn’t consider. My passenger seat looks to have had something similar done... the leather on the sides of it has samenpatina as the photo above, but the seating surfaces are newer and do not have any of the cracking.

The owner of the shop said the leather is very dry and would probably tear when they remove the cover. I’m not sure how true that is.

Is there any issue as far as a difference in feel or grain pattern on that panel vs. the rest of the seat?

7. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    That’s quite a story! I did see the backward pattern in that other thread. I don’t need Vic to install necessarily... I’m in San Diego and could just have the shop here perform the install. I guess what I’m most interested in is leather that matches OEM as close as possible in feel and grain... unless typically this is not noticeable. How would you rate tour seats in that regard?

Also, Vic’s website quotes around $2000 for the finished covers. How did your install end up at $7000? Is it $2000 per seat cover? The shop I visited quoted me $750 to recover the seat, using their black leather in-stock and sewing it to match. That seems too cheap compared with the prices above, so I wonder what the disconnect is.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I used Vic also

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    First off, I am no expert so I may be off base in my comments.

I believe that dry leather can be softened again with aggressive moisturizing (Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil is well regarded). The issue is whether the leather has cracked or torn or if the threads are ripping through the leather. If it is soft I would think it wouldn’t tear when it is removed. You might consider getting a second opinion.

Regarding the look and feel of my replacement pieces, they are indistinguishable from the factory stuff. Ferrari used “Connolly” leather which is a process not a breed of cow. Connolly leather is almost smooth in texture so is easy to match.

308inSD and 308 milano like this.
  11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    $7000 was for complete interior not just new seat covers:)

308inSD likes this.