TR Fuel Cells | FerrariChat

TR Fuel Cells

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Nick G48, May 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nick G48

Nick G48 Karting

Aug 18, 2016
    Clinton Township, Michigan 48316
    Full Name:
    Nick
    My TR has not run and fuel has been left in the fuel cells for many years. The odor of the fuel is very strong and has some discoloration. I dropped the driver side fuel cell and did an inspection. The inside of the fuel cell looks cleaner than I thought that it would. Although, with all the baffles I am not sure I am seeing everything.
    I am now debating about dropping the passenger side fuel cell. I would like to clean them both out to be certain the fuel cell is clean.
    Any ideas how this can be best done will be very helpful. Has anyone cleaned their fuel cells? How?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    You can just empty the fuel out ..inspect with borescope and put clean new fuel in with a can of bg44
    New Fuel filters ,...you should be set

vincenzo likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as dominik writes I agree, and if there is inside some debris you may use a high pressure hot weater cleaner and when finish let the tanks dry in the sun.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Do not use aggressive detergents. A little dish soap and hot water will work fine.

V4NG0 likes this.
  5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Be aware that the AC System runs through the passenger's side fuel tank, so to remove the tank you will need to capture the AC Charge and disconnect the fittings. There is a heat exchanger in there.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He'd be better off just leaving it in place.

V4NG0 and flash32 like this.
  7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    It is cool that RD and me say the same thing ..post #2 :)

Veedub00 likes this.
  8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Actually re-read that .. RD may have suggested cleaning them in place whereas I just said drain in place, inspect and fill with free fuel and BG44 to clean any minor vanish and clean injectors - -so different suggestions - sorry

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Is the AC dumping heat INTO the tank, or is it removing heat from the tank?

Is this an unusual design or commonly done?

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good questions, also like to know

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
    The way to tell would be to determine if the AC hose going to the heat exchanger in the gas tank is connected to the discharge port on the AC compressor (fuel cools the hot compressed refrigerant exiting the AC compressor) or to the suction port on the AC compressor (still coolish refrigerant returning from the evaporator cools the fuel). IIRC, neither the WSM, SPC, nor OM shows how it's connected clearly. (But the SPC and the WSM figure indicate that this AC heat exchanger in the RH fuel tank is a US version thing.)

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    and this I wonder why they did so???

13. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I believe the heat exchanger in the tank is to improve the function of the AC system, not to cool the fuel.

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but to cool the fuel would make sense

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That would be my guess, too (as there's no provision to turn "on" the AC system if the fuel system needed it) -- but would like to have someone confirm the plumbing (IIRC, it not an easy thing to see/determine when everything is assembled).

16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I was lazy - thought somebody would know off the top of their head. Here is the way it is routed - red is hot, pink is cooler, blue is cold. Looks like it dumps heat into the fuel to improve ac performance.

Unfortunately, heated fuel raises temp and pressure. IMO - the tank pressures are excessive in my car. ...

Secondary question: How is the tank’s internal pressure regulated?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    My guess???

Item 14 “two way check valve”... is actually a spring loaded pressure regulator. Can anybody confirm? Has anybody had one of these plug off?

“Two way check valve”... must be an oxymoron like “jumbo shrimp”.

Has anybody had their charcoal canisters plug off?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Yes when the pressure gets to a certain point the two way valve opens up and it flows into the canisters ..goes thru the carbon and out to atmosphere.

When pressures get lower ..cooling off after a hot drive or a ling idle ..the valve opens up the other way to allow air back into tanks

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Sounds logical & correct - thx!
    Looks like I need to pull my valve and clean/inspect.

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #20 flash32, May 15, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
    I been doing a lot of analysis on my 512 TR evap system in last few weeks .. so that is why so up to date on it
    Remember there will be pressure even if valve is working properly .. the gas cap on a hot day and long idle with a quarter tank will feel like you opened your air compressor tank

I think the wsm states the psi/bar it takes to open valve ..can't remember off hand

Update: about .5 psi of pressure

And from my plumbing days - natural gas in your home should be around 1/3 psi .. to give you an idea of how the gas cap should feel

The that you should also check is the rollover valve to make sure it is not sure closed

vincenzo likes this.
  21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #21 Steve Magnusson, May 15, 2021
    Can't agree with your coloring or conclusion (but I don't really trust that SPC figure of the AC hoses since it's more of hand sketch than a CAD model). If that Table 049 SPC figure is correct:

Agree that hose 22 is a hot (red) high-pressure liquid line from the ac compressor discharge port going to the AC condensor inlet,
    but hoses 23 and 24 are warm (pink) high-pressure liquid lines going from the AC condensor outlet (thru the Dryer) to the upstream side of the expansion valve,
    and hose 39 is a cold (blue) low-pressure vapor line going from the downstream side of the expansion valve (and evaporator) back to the suction port on the AC compressor.

The parts list on Table 049 indicates that hose 22 is used on all versions, and hose 39 is used on non-US versions while hoses 57 and 58 are used on US version -- i.e., hoses 57 and 58 replace hose 39 on US version and cool the fuel (hoses 57 and 58 do not replace hose 22 as in your coloring). I would still like to know (from a physical example US TR) which port on the AC compressor does that hose 57 connect to -- discharge or suction?

22. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Not sure if I remember correctly but I thought it was to cool fuel so that you don't get vapor lock in hot condition

23. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #23 vincenzo, May 15, 2021
    The drawing shows hose 57/58 as replacing hose 22 for US spec. Heat gets dumped into fuel.

The text suggests that hose 57/58 replaces hose 39. Heat is pulled out of the fuel.

Both can’t be right.

Back to square one.

I’ll crawl around the car in the morning to confirm.

24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    flash32 likes this.
  25. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    flash32 likes this.