512BBi Speedometer trouble | FerrariChat

512BBi Speedometer trouble

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, May 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I got a question for the experts. My speedometer is behaving strange. Whenever I have drive more than +-50 kilometres it starts to become unstable and the speed reading is very erratic and all over the place (Lower readings than actual speed). It is like it doesn't like heating up?. Are there anyone who has experienced this before and knows the cure?

Best, Peter

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    had the same problem once. but as sudden as it cam it went away again. and since then no problem anymore. don´t ask me why ;)

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I was hoping the same would happen to my speedometer but I finally lost my faith in the "Time cure most problems" approach :(

4. Guegangster

Guegangster Karting

Apr 24, 2014
    France
    Full Name:
    Julien Guegan
    I have had the same pb for the last eight years and couldn't get it fixed despite trying to get it fixed and having various shops looking at my car... I have the pb with speedo mainly but also rev counter. I think the fault is heat related since it works fine when I start.
    Possible culprits are faulty dinoplex or electrical fault (bad grounding.)
    It's driving me nuts and spoiling the driving fun for me.
    Good luck in finding the cause

pshoejberg likes this.
  5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for your input Julien. My digiplex is replaced with a msd ignition so that’s not the culprit and I believe the “digiplex” issue is related to the tach only since the tach input signal is directed from the ignition unit. Ground failure could be the reason or a weak speed sensor crapping out when heating up. Worst case could be a failure in the tachometer logic. I will update this thread as my fault finding progresses. So far it’s only classified as a minor issue since the issue first arise after a considerable amount of km’s. I will start with checking all the wires and verify firm grounding in all ends. Next I have to consider how to fault investigate a sensor that’s failing partially and only when warm?....

best Peter

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    may I see it right?
    the speedometer shows the speed your are going and also counts the mileage - the RPM meter shows as it says the engine rpms
    sorry, get sometimes confused with the english words ;)

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Yes, you've basically got that right, but to be more exact in English:

The speedometer measures the speed that you are going, and the odometer measures the mileage traveled -- both of these use the same signal coming from a sensor somewhere in the gearbox/diff system

The tachometer measures the engine RPM using a signal coming from somewhere in the ignition system.

A problem that only occurs in the speedometer/odometer OR the tachometer is usually related to the sensor for that system or that particular gauge.

A problem that affects both the speedometer/odometer AND the tachometer at the same time would most likely be related to the (common) +12V power and ground used by both systems.

pshoejberg and turbo-joe like this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you steve for explaining speedometer, odometer and tachometer :)
    as english is not my motherlanguage I got often confused, now all clear ! ! !

9. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Hi Peter, salut Julien,

I put my bets down to bad ground somewhere in the cricuit.

The current flowing is very small, but may result in increased resistance at the ground when flowing for some time. Temperature and humidity may strongly influence the resistance on a poor ground as well. Failure of electronic components such as capacitors becomes permanent after some time. That's why I bet on poor ground.

Cleaning ground connections is a fun weekend project ... ask me how I know ... :rolleyes:

2dinos likes this.
  10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Peter, did you put a small drop of fine oil on its turning point of the speedo needle ? Cars that ar'nt run during winter often have this problem. The oil of turning point gets hard and greasy.

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Nope, but thanks for the suggestion. I have never greased a speedo needle before and I have never heard that it should be necessary to be honest. But then again I'm not an expert into speedometers. I find it difficult to understand the heat issue then. One should think the needle would turn easier when things are heating up and not the opposite?

Best, Peter

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    turbo-joe likes this.
  13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks a lot for the link Ian. This is a great help and can potentially save me a lot of grief. I was born with a soldering iron in my mouth so I have no problems with the analog electronics. I'm still crossing fingers for a sensor problem.

Best, Peter

Qavion likes this.
  14. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    How about a new speed sensor? It's easy to get to and not too costly. In fact I think the 308 uses the same sensor?

15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    That's under consideration, but I like to pin point the failure source first before I start shopping. Also i like to fix things myself if they are repairable and a high quality repair can be performed. That approach has resulted in much grief but also a lot of fun...:)

turbo-joe likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That's a good point. Fitting new internal components doesn't sound too difficult, but you could damage the case on the sender when you're trying to get into it. The metal case is crimped.

pshoejberg likes this.
  17. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I forgot to say, my speedo (not swim suit) died so I replaced the sender and Bingo..fixed. Quick, easy, cheap.

pshoejberg likes this.
  18. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Ask Adrian?? He's a god with these Ferrari electrics. Eats this stuff for breakfast! Something to do with a the regulator in the board perhaps???

pshoejberg likes this.