Cavallino restaurant renovation almost completed | FerrariChat

Cavallino restaurant renovation almost completed

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Albert-LP, May 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    ShineKen, Rosey, wiley355 and 23 others like this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don’t see any signs. Will it remain “Cavallino”? I assume Massimo Bottura is still going to be operating the new restaurant.

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Cavallino, with Bottura.

ciao

Caeruleus11, F140C, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  5. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I guess my invitation has been delayed due to covid.

:rolleyes:
    :D

tazz99, kes7u and Rifledriver like this.
  6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    As said, they are still doing the finish and the reasturant is not completed yet: you can see the wire for the sign pending out the wall

ciao

kes7u, of2worlds and Jack-the-lad like this.
  7. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
  8. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll give it another try next time I am there, hopefully in December, 2021, or later in 2022.

rampante550 likes this.
  10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don’t think it was “closed down.” My understanding is that the previous operator’s lease expired and was not renewed by the landlord, which I believe is Ferrari. With Massimo Bottura running it, it will probably be far upscale from what it has been.

Caeruleus11, of2worlds and Albert-LP like this.
  11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The contract Ferrari had with the previous Cavallino restaurant operator expired and Ferrari didn't want to go with him. So Ferrari, who is the restaurant owner, chose a new operator: Massimo Bottura. They temporary closed the restaurant to make a deep building renovation. The renovation is at the end: on May 26th ithe restaurant will be open again, with the same name and with Massimo Bottura as operator.

Ciao

12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Interesting. I have eaten there and was puzzled how an “independent” establishment could exist surrounded by so much Ferrari property. It now makes sense that Ferrari leases the building to restauranteurs.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm wondering if Ferrari terminated the lease due to the quality of the food. We had lunch there and it was disappointing. Good to hear it has a new chef.

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think that now you could complain about the price, but definetely not about the food... ;)

Ciao

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Nobody terminated the contract. It simply expired (as mentioned earlier) and wasn't renewed anymore. Not the same thing.
    And yes, the food was not good anymore, or has never been (I was there for the first time in 1975). Let's hope for an improvement.

Marcel Massini

16. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So why did they auction off all the historic stuff from the walls?

Guess the new version will just have carbon fibre everything, turbos and 45 different winglet designs :)

I wonder if they at least left Enzo’s little private room untouched. Or maybe they’ve turned that into a disabled toilet?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I hear everyone say this but we have eaten there a few times on a 2015 visit and thought the food was really nice indeed.

To be fair didn’t know about Montana at the time so hard to compare that.

But yeah, now it will maybe be 3x as good and 3x as expensive haha

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    It's hard to eat bad food in Italy.

Ferrari didn't send to auction anything: the previous restauranteur family after the Fettari contract expired, sent a part of the memorabilia to an auction. They were privately owned by Neri family, so Neri family could sell what they wanted.

I think Ferrari did an excellent renovation of the building and they put inside the best chef available

Ciao

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The Neri family Ferrari automobilia stuff is now part of a major Swiss collection.

Marcel Massini

Caeruleus11, 375+, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  20. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the info guys. Happy it’s still going and we will definitely be going back there once travel is allowed again! And try Montana this time also!!

I owe my Missus a trip to the Ducati factory tour so may as well get another dose of Ferrari Homeland whilst we are so close!

I want to visit the Maserati factory (Tour) also as I have owned a Granturismo S for a few years now and not been back to Italy since, so planning a nice road trip in her - to take in some culture/cars/food… oh and bikes

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll definitely try it on my next visit!

22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    in 2006 cavallino was so so. the montana was excellent.
    in 2011, same thing. glad its under new management. would not have gone back to cavallino.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Bottura is looking for staff at the moment. He has expanded operations here and there, I hope he's not growing too fast. last time we were at Franchescana it was fantastic. I would expect that the food will be better, slightly re-imagined but still traditional. when I was last at Cavallino we had a good time, food was good, but you needed to order right... don't do the touristy stuff... stick with prosciutto, parmesan balsimico, and tortellini in cream... all is good. the first time I was there our waiter was horrible -rude and nasty... food was ok, but not great. ( if you compare the worst Cavallino meal to an American Italian meal it was fantastic! ) .... but my expectation with Bottura at the stove - or will it be Taka? will be much higher. I'm sure prices will be Ferrari like as well.

if you want to know more about Massimo Bottura - there is a great documentary about him on Netflix...Chefs Table season 1. great story. Anyone who works and apprentices with Alan Ducasse - has the "chopps"!

jpalmito likes this.
  24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    He was featured in the CNN Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy episode on Emilia Romagna.

of2worlds likes this.