87Octane | FerrariChat

87Octane

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LordVennFF, May 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LordVennFF

LordVennFF Rookie

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Alan Venn
    As a result of the petrol availability situation where I’m driving there was only 87 available and at half a tank in the FF with miles more to go I topped up and it was blended w the 91 already in there.
    Should I be concerned w this one off occurrence?

2. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No, the car will compensate, but refrain from full throttle until you can use it up and get 91 back in it.

3. LordVennFF

LordVennFF Rookie

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Alan Venn
    Much appreciated.

4. roma62

roma62 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Vince Fantozzi
    In my area, I have the choice of 90 octane non-ethanol or 93 with ethanol. Is it better to to go with the 90 non and add an octane booster OR go with the 93 ethanol and add an octane deleter? Thank you in advance.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It has knock sensors. Even full throttle makes no difference. The computer won't let it hurt itself.

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    What model are we talking about here?

7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The FF has Ion sensing technology, it adjusts the injection and timing at every rotation. You can go full throttle without damage, it will be down on power but will not hurt it. On the flip side, if you put in higher octane fuel, say 100 unleaded race gas, it brings the power up and runs faster.

Cars with just knock sensors will take timing out for a knock but cannot monitor the actual running of the engine like Ion sensing does. Also adding high octane fuel will not result in more power with just knock sensors as the tune is set to run 93ish octane and it is set to do that safely. They are there as a safety measure only.

Gotta love modern technology.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Is it still a variation of knock prevention. The marketing division needed to give it a loftier title.

tazz99 and 430tdf like this.