Dizzy cap center contact and rotor | FerrariChat

Dizzy cap center contact and rotor

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dave Bertrand, Apr 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    My car (89 US 328) has 42k miles on it and I can't find anywhere in the 30 years of service records where any work on the distributors has been done. I'm not having any ignition issues (I think) but I'm a big fan of preventive maintenance. How many miles can we usually expect to get out of the rotors and center carbon contacts before replacement becomes necessary?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    At about now, your dizzy caps can suffer cracks and need replacement. At the very least, the rubber boots are shred to hell. The wires are also stiff as tree branches. The plug extenders would not last this long without replacement either. The replacement of that whole thing is preventive maintenance.

New ignition wires are expensive but there is a DIY procedure to make your own wires and eliminate the extenders in the process. Dizzy replacement caps are fairly affordable for a Ferrari. Boots are $60 each. Get a new set of spark plug spacers. They are unlikely to withstand the removal process.

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Just ordered new carbon buttons/spring for the distributor caps From AW auto parts in New Jersey. They were the cheapest I found and company is very reputable. Dave Helms in Boulder Colorado? Can rebuild your ignition wires way cheaper than buying new or being stuck with aftermarket.:) Ordered new wires few years ago and was sent after market. The rubber boots did not seal over the holes properly so they got sent back. Just an FYI Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Good tips, thanks.

5. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    So I assume the caps become brittle after many years and heat cycles, and that's why they crack.

I looked at the records again more thoroughly, and I found that one of the rotors was replaced in 2006 at 35k miles, and 5 of the plug wires have been replaced but not all at the same time. Two in 2000 at 28,000. Two more in 2006 at 35k, and the fifth one in 2017 at 35k. All plugs were done 1,000 miles ago.

I guess I ought to bite the bullet and do caps, rotors and wires as you suggest.

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Ozone, the spark ionizes the air and generates ozone, over time that breaks down the plastic combined with thermal cycles. All dizzy ignition systems suffer this, is just far cheaper on mass produced vehicles for replacement parts. On one of my old mercedes the cap fits to a base plate with an 'o' ring for an air tight seal, not so much for water protection but to keep a lower oxygen environment to reduce ozone production, that's the theory anyways.

Dave Bertrand likes this.
  7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #7 ginoBBi512, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Just replace everything, plugs, wires , connectors , cap and rotors, the car is 30 years old, give it what it needs, dont worry whether or not someone else did it. These cars are the best mass produced machines that Ferrari has ever made, with that being said, get used to the upkeep, its inevitable . My 89 has 103 K miles, and it wants for nothing, being that I did every possible preventive ( cap rotors, plugs etc), and non preventive maintenance such as the starter and alternator ,clutch and accelerator cables, and the list goes on and on. And if I were you, I would start collecting everything parts wise that are going to need replacing in the future ,( such as the motor mounts / shocks / bushings ) before the parts get even more expensive than they already are (.Ferr parts gave me excellent prices on all the parts that I needed for my car including all of the suspension parts OEM Konis as well ).

Thank you

8. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I just visited AW AutoParts in Eatontown, NJ about an hour ago. I spoke to Tracey, their in-house Ferrari expert. She travels to Italy on a regular basis to source parts...her inventory of 328 parts, in particular, is very impressive. She gets her 328 ignition wires from Italy and promises me they are the highest quality available.

Be advised that if you buy the parts directly from AW (732-542-5600) you’ll get a better price than what’s shown on ebay.

Alan
    N.J.

308 milano and miketuason like this.
  9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    AW auto parts treated me terrific Just to clarify my earlier post, the aftermarket plug wires I was sent was from a West Coast distributor and not AW auto parts.