Any suggestions for car-friendly accommodation for a weekend away from Sydney? | FerrariChat

Any suggestions for car-friendly accommodation for a weekend away from Sydney?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by can't surf, May 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. can't surf

can't surf Rookie

May 18, 2018
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi all, I’m keen to do the occasional weekend away in the red car, but am always concerned about security when it’s parked overnight.

Does anyone know of any accommodation where the arrangements are favourable?
    Ideally (but unrealistically) single car lock up garage...
    Perhaps otherwise, off-street, and out of sight at a cabin/cottage.
    Or maybe a secure (somehow) parking area at a hotel.

Best I’ve encountered so far was ‘Hotel Hotel’ in Canberra where they let us park in the valet area of their underground car park, well lit and covered by cameras visible by reception.

Preferably within a day’s drive of Sydney.

Apologies if this has been covered before. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    In the 11 years of GG and 3 years of GAD O/night parking in multiples of various accommodations, I have never heard of any thuggery done to any vehicle.....unless it was done by the owner..:)
    I have just returned from a,nearly 8000klms run with a bunch of blokes,when I'm on the road to any of those events I generally stay in country/outback pubs...the only damage done is to my voicebox in describing,chatting,letting folk take pics with or without their kids behind the wheel(with the keys out!) and generally gasbagging about the car.

A lot of folk are pretty anal about your subject but if you don't act like a dik then all the attention you and the car will get is respect.

I think you'll find that should be the case with any other responder.

3. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I'm always comfortable with the Grand Hyatt in Canberra.

Also comes back to what style roads you wish to Travel.?

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^^^^^

Never had an issue with parking at any "decent" accommodation with off road parking :)

5. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've stayed at all of these & can recommend, Goonoo Goonoo Station is wonderful place near Tamworth, you won't have issue with vandalism park outside your cottage, Ovolo Hotel in Canberra undercover parking & no issue vandalism, The Long House in the Hunter Valley only 3 suites so no issues, Pepper Tree Hill Luxury Farm Stay in Mudgee, park outside your cottage.

can't surf likes this.
  6. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I agree with this entirely. Most people are actually good people. Just be sensible and don’t leave it in a McDonalds or KMart car park overnight.

Having said that, Ultimate Driving Tours was planning one of their trips to Ooralba Estate (5 star accom) on NSW South coast, so their parking is probably good if the UDT guys were going there. That might fit the bill for a trip for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can't surf likes this.
  7. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Decent you say,I've parked both the Morgan and 370(twice) out front of the Commercial pub Clermont.
    I parked the E Type(twice),330 and 308(twice) out the back of the Irish Village pub Emerald.
    The 330 was also parked out the back of a pub in Roma once.
    The 365 has a plaque where it parks out the back of the Exchange Kilcoy!

When I say out the back,it's open parking without any gating....except the Irish which does have gates that are closed/opened at a specific time.
    There have been many other locations up and down the East coast where my various cars have waited for me to sober up ....never ever had an incident,except for the horse voice.,,,no not for THAT reason Greg!

greg246 likes this.
  8. robbo mcs

robbo mcs Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    The Quest serviced apartments scattered around the country generally have good secure parking, which you pay extra for. May be undercover or outside. Needs key access to enter, both through the driveway gate and down the lift. The outside ones generally have high secure fencing, spotlit with security cameras. Most, but not all of them, have this. You need to book it when you make a reservation,

These are used by a lot of travelling tradies and engineers etc. A lot of them have 30k or more worth of tools sitting in the back of their utes. That is a much more likely target for lowlife bogans in country towns than a sports car;) That is why the Quest hotels have the parking, to attract the people who need security for their work vehicles. The apartments are pretty good too, not 5 star hotel, but often the best place in a country town.

au-yt likes this.
  9. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    This^^^

Gotta remember 'ours' aren't GTHO's,XU1's,SLR 5000's or RT 6Packs..^^^^^ lot couldn't give a stuff about wankers in European sports cars.

10. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Billionaires in billion dollar cars.

11. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In another car i stayed at a quest hotel and they just had a track for the gate installed to the carpark
    The dynabolts were poking up and it popped my front bumper off and caused $3-5k of damage from memory and it broke it and a few other pieces

They didnt offer anything despite it being there fault
    Car wasnt lowered either

I dont stay at quest any more lol

I would just stay at a house with garage if that concerned

12. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Didn't someone have "wanker" written on their car one night when it was parked at a hotel?

Maranello550 likes this.
  13. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Only because that personalised plate was already taken.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Steve355F1 likes this.
  14. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I'm only a thousandair so I'm good!

15. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Only in his dreams.....:)

16. can't surf

can't surf Rookie

May 18, 2018
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    East Hotel Canberra.
    https://easthotel.com.au/
    The Ferrari Club has used this as the base for the last 2 National rallies held in Canberra. In 2013, at our request, prior to our first booking the owners of the Hotel had the driveway entrance to the underground carpark re-curved with concrete planer to ensure that the Ferraris wouldn't scrape entering/leaving the hotel.

Steve355F1 and can't surf like this.