Official book collectors thread | Page 139 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The 288 GTO book by Lewandowski isn't bad.
    And he's working on a totally updated edition, massively enlarged and with fresh and additional data.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds, Sharknose and jm2 like this.
  2. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    I stopped getting his calendar because his hard, almost brittle use of light took away from the cars and the setting.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Nor me. Too much photoshop.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don’t know much about photography: Is it his use of light or manipulation of the image when the picture is processed?

5. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    I think it is both. Most professional photographers have a favorite time of day to take advantage of a particular type of light. I think he does over process his photos. I guess I am old fashioned, especially after looking at "Making A Difference" this morning. Classical B&W, interesting backgrounds and a focus on the cars.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The "Making a Difference" pix are 70 years old, most of them. Black white pix cannot/should not be compared to color pix. Looking at bw pix one needs so much more fantasy and imagination and that is stimulating. I do prefer bw actually because it makes me think how life was back then. I must be a dinosaur.

Marcel Massini

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I can still remember a cousin of mine in Stockholm in the mid seventies, I was ten and he was six, asking his dad whether the world was black and white before. I said that is a stupid question! But his dad, a Royal air force jet pilot, said no, seeing all these black and white photos makes it a legitimate question. I love the charm and mystery of B & W. When I was a teen at a boarding school outside Paris we had a photo studio and class, we shot in B &W and then developed our own pix, that was a thrill....

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I recently heard a film critic say he preferred black and white to color movies (in most cases) because its mere use as a medium automatically transports the viewer one step from reality, which is the point of movies that are made to entertain, as opposed to educate, an audience. Also, black and white demands more from a director and cinematographer because of the more critical role played by lighting, locations, set design, etc.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

10. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Leica still produces Monochrom cameras, not without reason.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think the British were the last to convert over to color judging by all their B&W photos even in the 1960's :), wich is funny because they helped develop Kodachrome. Also news print photographers used B&W as that's what most news magazines and newspapers wanted.

Black and white adds a more historical look and almost mystical feeling to the photos. For Ferrari historical racing photos it makes it feel dark and gritty war like.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    At least it was better than the horrible Sackey book on the same subject. But looking back it was a rather marginal book, bilingual at that too. Automobilia used to do badly produced trilingual books, I got rid of most of them.

375+ likes this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I will never be a part of a bi or worse trilingual book; you are paying for twice, thrice the same thing, that is the only thing I did not like about the 312P book.
    I will also not do books where interviews are cut like a vulgar saucisson [into slices inserted in the body of the book text], I turned down a Ferrari book project about an individual car because of that. I firmly believe that an interview is an opportunity to virtually sit in the room with someone whose wisdom is enlightening and who won't be there forever. Most importantly since it is not all about nuts and bolts but about people you get a feel for the person that way which you don' t get properly by taking an interview to a ham slicer.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    +1000: Give me Nosferatu, 1922 instead of a thousand idiotic gore films. It is the atmosphere that matters not gallons of ketchup.

tomc, Lusso123, bloomberg and 2 others like this.
  15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Walt Hansgen book should be sub titled "Jaguar Racing in America" it's incredibly detailed, and an enjoyable read...

bloomberg likes this.
  16. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Many of the David Bull publications are wonderful. I still cherish 'Racing in the Rain' - by John Horsman, as a most valuable possesion.

17. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    Could you please give some hints about that book?

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It has zero photos and is statistics only. Done privately and is a print-on-demand publication. I paid Euro 75.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and Doug23 like this.
  19. Natan Tazelaar

Natan Tazelaar Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2006
    Netherlands; Texas USA
    Full Name:
    Natan Tazelaar
    The same goes for the other books in that series, Bentley Continental, Lamborghini Diablo, Mercedes C140, Audi Sport Quattro etc.

Natan

20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #3470 Rosey, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    I guess I have a soft spot for trilingual books as some of my first Ferrari books I bought were the Automobilia series on the Testarossa, 412, F40, etc that were all in three languages (and annoyingly consisted mostly of Ferrari brochures and owners manuals).

I actually felt very cosmopolitan as a young boy in Australia owning and reading books that were clearly designed for a wider European market.

But I see your point about all that real estate on a page taken up with two other languages that could have otherwise been used to add more detail if only printed in just the one.

Terrible value for money !! :(

SmokyDave and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    ... but, as it turns out, a good investment if the asking prices for some of them are anything to go by.

Buchpilot, Natan Tazelaar and Rosey like this.
  22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Crazy huh !!

As I said, they are mostly just "average" in information and quality, I have the full set of the Ferrari model releases and can't believe the prices for editions like the Spyder California, 412 and 456 M GT/A !!

For the last two it's probably due to the fact that not many books were published on those specific models (good, bad or otherwise).

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    There have been far too few books on the 4 seaters of Maranello, Modena and Sant'Agata; a great pity and that probably explains it.

Natan Tazelaar and Rosey like this.
  24. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Are you? I don't know much about publishing but I assume the reason for publishing a multi-lingual book rather than multiple editions in different languages is that, in the end, it is more cost-effective for the publisher and, therefore, that the book you end up with doesn't cost more even though it has more pages. There is also a small advantage in having the original language to refer to since, in many cases, for niche books the translation is not always as good as it might be and certainly I have sometimes got a better understanding of what is being said be looking at the original language printed alongside. Whilst I imagine English-language sales for most such books are likely to be dominant, for the publisher it may also be the only way they can make the numbers work to have the book available in English.

25. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge

Not ideal but would not put me off buying books such as some of Mckleins excellent publications.

In fact there are so many great German books on classic motorsports, unfortunately in German text .From a selfish perspective this would be ideal if produced in English as well as the mother tongue of the originating publisher.

I would be happy to buy them all day long