Registering a euro car in CA from out of state | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Registering a euro car in CA from out of state

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by robertgarven, Feb 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014
    Dealt with a 288 GTO that was an MSO California car, I advised current owner not to title it in California, as the car would have had to go through the whole "RI" certification and when that was all done $30K+ and. Why ? title it, In Europe there is Euro 5-6 emissions and some countries get a pass if the car is California titled and currently registered. Things changed and it's not allowed anymore.

You're on the right track instead of showing up to the DMV and someone at the counter would not have any idea what's going on. Good luck.

2. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014

Gray market cars fall under a Federal issue and you're subject to the bureaucracy. You're talking about a State issue no one gives an issue unless there is a vin issue or tampering issue. "1966" FVMSS. Read up on the Elanor car that someone was re-making them and the DOT/EPA went after them.

Registering an NON-USA, out-of-country, or "Grey Market" car in California
    read this garbage:

This page last reviewed November 24, 2013

Vehicle first sold or intended for sale by their manufacturers for sale outside of the United States are called NON-USA or "Grey Market" cars and typically not able to be used or registered in California. The following information lists the requirements to register a NON-USA vehicle in California and is based on the model year of the vehicle:

1967 model year vehicles and older: no modifications and testing are required to register the vehicle in California.

1968 model year to 1974 model year vehicles: California does not recommend the purchase or importation of these years of NON-USA vehicles, even if currently registered in another state. These vehicles require compliance with USEPA requirements in effect on the specific date of 11/15/1972. This provision when written, was considered by the California legislature as a gradual phase-out of very dirty "non-collectable" types of imports, as this specific requirement was understood to become increasingly difficult to meet. Today, this requirement, while not impossible to meet, would require testing expenses and modifications that far exceed most vehicles value and would make little sense from a collectors standpoint to attempt. Some limited exemptions apply to individuals moving to California with vehicles of these years registered in their home state for at least a year before moving to California. Contact us for more information.

1975 model year vehicles to the present: (EXCLUDING any vehicle obtained by a California resident within two years of its date of production) require a "Certificate of Conformance" issued by the ARB after a successful laboratory test. This test is administered to the same standards required of new vehicle manufacturers, and for the model year of the vehicle . However, unlike new vehicle manufacturers, as an individual you are not required to meet the full range of additional testing and equipment standards such as On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) requirements, durability testing, low emission fleet averaging, or Zero Emissions Vehicle testing (LEV and ZEV requirements). So while these standards reference what a manufacturer must do, when required by the Direct Import requirements they apply to individuals importing a used motor vehicle. Some limited exemptions apply to individuals moving to California with vehicles of these years registered in their home state for at least a year before moving to California. Contact us for more information.

Other important general notes: Grey Market vehicle regulations, like the new vehicle certification standards they are based on, are a performance standard and do not have specific equipment requirements. Whatever equipment the vehicle owner or vehicle modifier choose to make the vehicle pass the laboratory test, these will be the equipment requirements for all future inspections. In addition this means all vehicle and engine technologies are subject to the same standard. All fuels, all engine sizes, displacements, no. of cylinders, engine types and designs, even electric and hybrid vehicles must prove compliance by laboratory testing. Unlike California's basic Smog Check program, the Direct Import program does not have exemptions other than the original 1967 model year and older exclusion outlined above. And as a final note, these regulations only apply to passenger cars and light-duty trucks. Motorcycles and heavy-duty engines (used in trucks and buses) are required to comply with CA or USEPA from the date of manufacturer, no after-the-fact modification is permitted for products first sold outside the US market.

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Robert - PM me, I went through this with my 308 Euro a few years ago. Should be a piece of cake, offline though.

4. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Again, Montana. I have numerous friends that have cars registered in Montana. Look into it.

Monteman likes this.
  5. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    BMW 2002

If the car is registered in your name then Only if you have a Montana Driver's License will the cops think all is fine

ForzaV12 likes this.
  6. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014
    CHP will stop and ask you whats up and it can be a can of worms. Don't

ForzaV12 likes this.
  7. BMWg

BMWg Rookie

Jan 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Grinil khanna
    Hi Peter - mind messaging me? I'd be interested know more info - Can't find the way around this process.

8. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It is my understanding that most all out of state cars (including imports from other countries) registered as being older than the 1967 model year, are able to be legally registered here in California without any issues. As far as I know and of this writing, cars up to and including the 1975 model year, do not need to pass any smog test here in California. However "gray market" import cars into the state, including the 1967 model year, through 1975 although not subject pollution control test are virtually impossible to legally register here in the state of California. This includes being registered with "historical vehicle" plates.

I wonder what can be done to import and legally register a '72 246 Dino in the state of California? What is the process for registering a car like the 1972 Dino? It is my understanding the correct federal pollution control stickers need to be on the car, no matter how primative. If anyone has any information on how to register these cars please advise.

Thanks in advance.

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    This is always the toughest question to answer. I've searched this forum many times in the past on this subject and have never walked away with a clear cut answer.

10. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Timo04 ..... Your concise explanation is exactly on point. Although California Smog Requirements (post 1975 model years) provided an option at one time California has sealed the loophole by requiring the Federal sticker for all pre-1968 cars. California will no longer even issue a title only and deny registration which they did at one point to at least allow Californians to have a valid title.

11. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Import your car, file a lien sale and then you get the ownership papers which you can turn into a title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albert328gts likes this.