430 - What are the odds that both my Thermocouplers are bad | FerrariChat

430 What are the odds that both my Thermocouplers are bad

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, May 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I noticed something odd. When I clear codes and start the car stone cold in about 10 seconds it will flash the red slow down light and shut down. Right after if I star the car it will be fine. My car's always been like this and did not think anything of it until I got a more advanced scan tool. The codes it is throwing are cat related and one of them actually points to cat protection mode activated. I read EGT with the tool which shows -25 fully warmed up. I understand why the car is shutting down. It shuts each bank down due to it thinks the cat temp is way too hot and is protecting them. I have the codes on both banks. I was super careful when I put the headers on with the thermocouplers. Did I likely just damage both? Or will just one bad one wreak havoc.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I would think the thermocouples would have a known resistance when cold, hopefully someone on here might know. Otherwise try fitting one new one and see if it cures one bank. I will have a look at wsm to see if any info

one4torque likes this.
  3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    On my 360 I got slow down light and glowing cats after install headers w stock cats.

I changed many things w no success. My problem was not thermocouples or cat ecu’s.

my fix was the header to cat donut gasket— I was reusing my old crushed donut. New gaskets and installing 200 cell cats solved my slow down glowing cat problem.

So either the old donut was allowing o2 in prior to the cat causing excess heating,

or my stock cats were overheating ..

No issues now.

I used obd-facile to interrogate each ecu— read thermocouple temps... cat ecu status... long term fuel trims... to aid your troubleshooting.

I chased my tail for 2 months on my time and my dime. Gl

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I bet the old donuts were like solid iron.

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Mike- yes they were solid... and they were flaking apart and I had visible gaps in the flanges. New ones compress fit to fill the gap.

6. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

Was your Slow Down light triggering when the car was completely cold?

This is intersting although I have a 430, the donts(gaskets) mentioned are toast. I can see them flaking and parts actually missing. I thought that there was a very tight seal there regardless, but I obviously must be wrong.

My issue that leads me to believe the thermos are done is that 10 seonds up on start up the slowdown light triggers and shuts the car down as both banks I believe have damaged thermos. When restarting the car it is runs but throws the car codes one of which says protection mode activated. At that point I believe the car is running off default settings.

7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    10 sec after cold start is not long enough to super heat the cats from a leaking donut.

I’m thinking the ecu is looking for something upon cold start related to cat ecu that it is not seeing.
    Suggest to hookup to some scanner so you can download codes and read cat ecu data

8. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

For clarification I did hook up my scanner (LaunchX431) and was returning these codes. This is why I thought the thermos had to be shot as it threw the codes when the car is completely cold. That was the only logical thing I could surmise. The codes are the same for both banks. When the car is restarted it is in the protection mode I assume that is why it starts and drives fine. The P0340 is due to the headers but the other two I assume have to be caused by a bad thermo.

p0438 Left hand temp sensor high inpug,
    p1454 - Protection Activation for LH Cat,
    p0340 - Cat below effeciency Threshold

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    You can try swapping the thermo couples left and right to get more data.

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    You can try and rule out cat ecu vs thermo couple.

I also wonder if you had a prior over temp thermocouple situation which now has you start in safe mode. Perhaps you can try save codes... then delete and see if car starts not in safe mode.

Just what I would do... I’m not a cert f car mechanic. I did stay in a holiday inn.

Marcoboxer likes this.
  11. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

I should have made it more clear. I can clear the codes and adaptions via scanner or completely kill the power to the car and let sit a day. When doing this there should not be any stored codes. With out fail every time I start the car after completely clearing the codes it will shut off in about 15 aseconds and register the above codes. When I then restart the car it starts and runs but is in the p1454 - Protection Activation for LH Cat code on both banks. I can drive the car fine. If I kill power after this and clear codes I can replicate this scenario with out fail.

430 does not have cat ECU so that is eliminated by default which leaves me with the thermos. I am fairly certain this is the issue. Even when trying to read EGT when the cars warm it says -25.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit. I am a bit of a rambler...lol.

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Well thermo couples can be bought aftermarket pretty cheap. I hate to see you throw parts at it. Do you have a buddy w a 430. You can swap thermocouples??

13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I know it’s for 360 but take a look at this thread.

360 thermocouple resistance (Slow Down warning)
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/360-thermocouple-resistance-%28Slow-Down-warning%29.614298/

odds of two going bad at same time is the square of the probability just one. From probability perspective pretty low. If it were me I agree with 1-4-torque. I’d either swap l-r and see if code changes, or more likely just replace both and consider as relatively inexpensive wear items.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

one4torque likes this.
  14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    You said you swapped headers.

did this problem start after you installed headers? Like the next start?

I would suspect thermocouples disconnected , or pinched harness.

might be useful to check the ohms of each tc.

You will sort it out!

15. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

I think the thermocouplers are very sensitive as it relates to the wiring due the extreme heat. I don't have anyone I can swap with. I was curious what would happen and how the car would behave if I just disconnected them. If it does the same thing its doing and there is no change I can reason that they are dysfuntional.

16. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    My reasoning is that both were damaged when removed to install headers. This seems common as the wires become very brittle and sensitive with the extreme heat they are subject too. It is really the only thing it would think can cause slow downn when car is cold. We shall see.

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Try to measure resistance of the thermocouples.

EastMemphis likes this.
  18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Secondly is a failed thermocouple (see part (3) in top diagram). While uncommon they can fail, usually to an open circuit condition which the CCU will detect as an overheating state. If intermittent warnings continue after replacing the CCU's changing the thermocouples is a recommended second step (assuming the engine has been checked and cleared of misfires).

19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  20. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

It is a 430 there are no CCU's. I do think the thermos are done and registering a high temp, shutting both banks done as both thermos are bad. This turns the car off effectively. Fix is to delete thermos with tuning or get new ones.

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Reading the wsm, it says the thermocouples are connected to the ecu. I assume as the engine has 2 ecu, then it must have one to each. New oem thermouple is showing at about £95 ea, so £25 if you can find a bosch one the same

22. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Interesting I will try and cross reference parts for thermo. If anyone knows the cheaper Bosch alternative I am all ears.

23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Looks like some options on fleabay 150ish

gl keep us posted on progress

carguy007 likes this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Technistrada have a solution for F360s. A universal thermocouple.

https://technistrada.com/universal-thermocouple-v8

Despite the company being in New Zealand, I hear the postal times are fairly quick.

carguy007 likes this.
  25. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    That is interesting. I don't see the 430 listed, but the 360 and 430 are the same from what I know. Is there anyone that is actually running these. Price is right, but I am skeptical. Those things are basically living in Hell's inferno and live a rough life. I wonder how long or if these would even work.