The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I think for the most part we've kind of reached near the peak of ICE technology...Ferrari may have had a lead in the past but there's only so much room for advancement left before the competition is able to catch up.

You see this in many industries lately. Eventually the playing field levels out because the room left for improvement is quite small and expensive.

jm2 and VAF84 like this.
  2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I really like the C8. By way of massive economies of scale, the C8 becomes a massive bargain. The closer the Z06 looks to C8.R race car, the better we will all be for it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Loxo, Boomhauer, racerdj and 7 others like this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Perfectly said.
    Cue the 488 Pista and F8 partisans to defend the “amazing sound”.

ferrarifanatic25, mdrums and Ngcanada like this.
  4. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Dang, that thang sounds nice. I've owned a long string of Corvettes, and as a value equation, they are hard to beat. Having said that, and with no snobbery intended, the C8 is quite possibly the ugliest piece of industrial design I've ever seen. The rear quarter is ungainly; the proportion of the car surrounding the rear wheel is weird and messy. I'm really hoping that with the Z06, they'll slap some huge fender flares on the back and it will improve the looks. For now, its pretty much an unmitigated tragedy. Your mileage may vary :)

5. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
  6. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    I had the chance to toss around a C8 Convertible and my 458 Spider back to back over the course of a weekend. I was astonished to find that the C8 was measurably better in several ways. Not nearly enough ways to best a 458, mind you, but it got a lot closer than I would've ever guessed. The platform is very, very impressive.

The Z06 is gonna be a smash hit, a bargain, and IMO stands a real chance at dethroning its equivalently-priced Italian counterparts in terms of driving enjoyment. In a weird way, I hope it doesn't so I don't have to justify putting another car in my garage....haha!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Phil~, Loxo, Rembrandt and 12 others like this.
  7. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    That sounds like one fun weekend.

VAF84 likes this.
  8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I don't believe there is an equivalent priced Italian supercar.

VAF84 likes this.
  9. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I have not been a huge Corvette fan but the bee C8 is amazing. Silly for people to get mad about it. Ferrari is not a god.

But then I am perhaps an atypical Ferrari owner. I love the feel, the look, the whole experience etc that the C8 doesn’t do for me. But man, I really love this Z06 sound. I think it will be a blast!

My brother is a fanatic about corvettes so I’m sure I will get my chance to ride/drive one. These are the best thing GM has done. Might get me back in one of their products...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

TheMayor and VAF84 like this.
  10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What is interesting about the C8 is I have gotten more positive comments about it than any other car I've owned. I swear I cannot drive it anywhere without people giving a thumbs up or in many cases asking about it at a stoplight. And not one single negative (I had a few with Ferrari).

The most common question I would get in a Ferrari was "how much did it cost?". In a C8 its "is that the new mid engine Corvette?"

It seems like people cannot believe Chevy actually made something like this.

I would say half of the people say it looks like a Ferrari and half say it looks like a Lambo. Almost no one says it looks like a Corvette.

Bundy, JJ, Drson and 2 others like this.
  11. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    GM/Corvette pays homage to the 458 for its C8 creation. Best bang for the buck in a capable sports car. Good for them. And like Ferrari they'll sell every one of them.

Loxo, Rembrandt and VAF84 like this.
  12. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I’ve owned both 458 and 488 Spiders and currently have a 812SF. I’m waiting to see what they do with the “Little Brother” before I decide on my next Ferrari.

If the LB looks like another evolution of the 458 series I might give the C8 a serious look. Ferrari needs to really change things up with this one in my opinion.

Loxo likes this.
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    A Chevy Corvette driver is much more 'approachable' than some ********* in a FERRARI! :D (kidding, sort of) that's just the general public's perception.
    It's a version of : 'You meet the nicest people on a Honda' :)

brookliner7 likes this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Something like a Budweiser drinker vs the Wine and Cheese types. But there is also something about it being American in there as well.

One thing this car does really well is give you all sorts of cameras for daily driving ease. I like the one up front that shows an obstruction in front of the car when parking. No more worries about hitting a concrete block. I like the built in camera that shows the last 14 hours of video if you have an accident. I had an idiot back up into my Alfa and I wished I had that feature to prove he did it.

Also it has 2 side glancing radar detectors. One of for lane changing (which is great when you can't see out the back of a mid engine car very well) and the other is a vehicle approaching from behind you from the side when reversing. It even picks up a pedestrian walking behind you that you can't see.

If you daily a car like this, its such a relief not to worry about stuff like this anymore and still have an exotic car. Even the storage space is pretty good for a mid engine car.

Chevy knows how to build a daily driver. I don't think any mid engine Ferrari is really built to be driven every day it all conditions. Again that's why I say you cannot compare the two. They have different purposes. The Chevy compromises on things that the Ferrari would never do so it can be driven more often with less fear.

Competition improves the breed. Lamborghini in the 60's made Ferrari be better. Honda in the 80's made Ferrari become better. I think McLaren in the 2000's made Ferrari be better. Perhaps Chevy in the 2020's will do the same.

docf, BJK, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Then design becomes the differentiator.;)

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Corrected to what I’m sure you meant to write.....

And don’t forget the ***** slap laid on by Ford in 2005.....amazing car, true legend

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My point is the Miura gave us the mid engine craze, the NSX gave exotics reliability and aluminum skin, and the McLaren gave us a CF tub and turbo power. It’s possible Chevy will give us more practicality.

tres55 and VAF84 like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My mileage does vary. While the C8 might not be a harmonious design from every angle and it is a bit crude around the edges, most in my acquantance, who have seen the car have been surprisingly impressed. Personally, I prefer its aesthetic to every Corvette with the exception of the original. All this reinforces the view that appearance is highly subjective.

FordGTDriver and TheMayor like this.
  19. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    Correct, if you're talking about new ones. I was making the comparison thinking of 10+ year old used variants which, in and of itself, is saying something about the Italian stuff :)
    True! I did, however, have a number of people ask me if my C8 Convertible was a Lambo. With its sharp, geometric lines, I can't say I blame them for being confused. ;) I also overheard a TON of people walking by it exclaiming "that's the new mid-engined Corvette!" Impressive how effectively Chevy has gotten the word out there to the general public...

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The worst angle of the car is straight behind. I'm still not used to it. But the rest of it is pretty attractive, even if it does borrow a lot from Lambo.

AD211 and VAF84 like this.
  21. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    I'm not impressed with the front end and the rear looks like a Camaro that was stepped on.

However after driving one I think it's a lot of bang for the buck and will probably purchase one

For the money it's pretty cool

Mike

Napoli likes this.
  22. JLL

JLL Rookie

Nov 21, 2005
    Norcal
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Chevrolet brought one to the Monterey Historics just before release- must have been August '19..one of the reps was standing with the car...I asked what he did- he said I'm a designer...I asked if he went to College of design..he said yes in Detroit.

I suggested the car was very nice especially the interior features and obviously the rear engine but the car has a lot of "gingerbread" and many features look a bit like a Camaro. He was a bit miffed as he had designed many of same features...anyway for those that don't like some of the styling maybe there is room for improvement in future years as GM refines the new model.

Napoli likes this.
  23. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Agree the back is the worst look and the side intakes are not the best either. The front is the best view.

24. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I do not think the design is homogeneous, the front and the back look like they were done by two different designers, which might have been the case but if that is the case they should have been communicating with each other. I remember when the current Merc SL came out it looked very similar, no harmony when one of the motor magazine editors questioned the design he said it look like two different people did the design the MBZ rep held up 3 fingers. I do think all things considered its a great effort by GM and the Corvette team, it offers great performance and is a value, is it comparable to a Ferrari of course not you always get what you pay for Always, I believe there is no comparison.

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1
    Mostly its a design miss or mess, whichever you prefer. But I love the sound.

Boomhauer and VAF84 like this.