Those that have used leatherique....can you share directions and tips? Do I need dye | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Those that have used leatherique....can you share directions and tips? Do I need dye

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jasonfodor, Mar 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roach

roach Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    Los Altos
    On a separate but related topic, how do you treat leather seats that have the cooled seats function and have the little "holes" in the leather? Will the Leatherique clog up the holes and render the cooling seats useless? Just wondering as I've used Leatherique with good results on my F car but we recently picked up a Macan for the wife and I'd like to use Leatherique with it but have never treated a car with cooled seats.

Thanks!

2. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014

1st before using this sort of item:

properly clean the leather with a cleaner - so important that its done when its at room temp
    72~78F. once you get this clean you need to use a proper leather enricher.

If you get into playing with dye's and non trusted brands you could have that on your clothing.

3. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Jack-the-lad likes this.
  4. jasonfodor

jasonfodor Rookie

Mar 29, 2015
    #29 jasonfodor, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since someone asked, I've attached some "after" pictures of the leatherique on my range rover.

I guess it cleaned it a bit (really don't know what the "standard" expectations are). I used a less than the recommended amount, next time I'll use the recommended amount.

Also, it has been cloudy/raining here for the past month (April showers?), I might wait a month till warmer weather to give it a second crack.

I think the wrinkles and cracking towards the driver's door...I need filler/dye for, I don't think any "cleaner" is going to fix that.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. edl

edl Rookie

Aug 12, 2007
    Andrew or anyone: if when applying you get some on carpeting, is there any issue in cleaning it off the carpet?

thanks

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I used this on my 308 seats. 20K mile car seats in fabulous condition. Leatheriqe took the dye off in splotches. I called them and a very nice lady told me that is typical, and all I needed to do was strip and redeye. She said it is really no big deal.

7. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ
  8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yeah, this thread is pretty old but this is the best spot I can find to post a useful link.

I applied Leatherique Rejuvenator yesterday and it hasn't soaked in very well. Prestine Clean really didn't do the job and the leather surface is still sticky. The below link suggests using a wet microfiber cloth as a last step.

Leatherique Leather Care How-To | Ask a Pro Blog (detailedimage.com)

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Brian, you may be rushing the process a bit. Let the rejuvenator oil soak in for a few days . If dry spots start to appear add more rejuvenator oil. Also needs to be somewhere around constant 80° to help sweat the contaminants out of the leather.

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Thanks. That’s helpful. That link I posted shows slathering it on with a foam paintbrush like you’re basting a turkey! I’ve never tried it that way. Been keeping the garage warm but it is about 72F by morning. I think I’ll go out and slather on another coat of the stuff (doing both sports cars).

308 milano likes this.
  11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Hallelujah!

I basted the seats again with Rejuvenator Oil using a paintbrush. I put it on very heavily.

After sitting again in my warm garage, I used a spray-mist pump bottle to spritz on Prestine Clean and wiped off the goo with microfiber towels.

They came out better than they ever have. Soft and clean looking.

308 milano likes this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    True, however this is the procedure George Plivlasko the owner / creator of Leatherique taught at a seminar he held at the Walter Mitty challenge 15 years ago, and it worked great on my then older 308 seats. I was really surprised at how much gunk came out of the seats and door leather. if you just use the oil the leather stays stacky, and pick up more trash... prestine clean is a must to get it really clean and dry. the sun and heating up the car is what takes all the time, and the repeated processes.

for the Op - I think that is something discoloring the leather - or the dye has worn off. Use of the rejuvinator oil and work it in either by hand or soft cloth ... let sit and then wipe up.. several times may help. if you chose to recolor - you need to do the entire seat, and use the prepping agent - but be careful... a good re color is fairly easy, but the prep is what counts.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Just a little tip. I use an electric heater inside the car. It has a hi and low setting. I use only low. I’m also careful in where I put the heater and make sure the heat isn’t blowing too close to any of the leather surfaces and really with the heater on low the temp isn’t that hot. It’s a good way of getting the interior on the car nice and warm when you don’t have the option of leaving the car outside on a warm sunny day. When I first got my car the leather wasn’t in great shape. There weren’t any cracks or tears but it was really dull and fairly stiff. I applied the oil and the amount of crap that came out of the leather was amazing. It was a real chore to get it all off but was well worth the effort. I’ve been doing the full treatment every other year and it has gotten much easier each time I use it. I think the leather was probably never really ever been properly cared for.

Because the back seat area is so small I decided it was easier to remove some of the interior instead of climbing in to do the treatment.
    You can see how oily it is during the first part of the treatment.
    How it looks after the cleaner.

jjason981, Brian A and 308 milano like this.