Sputtering issue on 2010 Ferrari California | FerrariChat

Sputtering issue on 2010 Ferrari California

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rbellezza, May 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Hi all, i am looking for some advises on how to fix a sputtering issue on my 2010 California.
    I bought the car about 3 months ago with 29000 miles well knowing there were maintenance services to do and interior parts to fix (sticky parts, broken window switch and dash pod leather shrinkage) This has all been addressed.

Replaced oil engine, transaxle, transmission fluid and brake fluids, coolant, air filters. Also replaced both motor mounts and tires. Luckily no transmission or roof problems at all ... crossing fingers.

I left the sputtering issue for last.
    The car has a new battery and is always on trickle charge. Start quickly and has a perfect idle, pulls strong during half pedal acceleration with no hesitation. If i drive normally, even strong, i would not notice anything, it revs at 8000 RPM if i keep half pedal but if i floor it, it sputters and lose power as soon as it reaches 6000RPM. CEL appears for a few seconds after hard acceleration and consequent sputtering. Misfire on cylinder 2 I saw once after pulling a code.
    I used a tank of gas additive CRC for fuel injector cleaner and did the valve intake carbon cleaning using also the CRC Valve intake cleaner. No change.
    I haven't replaced the spark plugs as they only have about 3000 miles total according the previous owner.
    I am thinking about fuel pressure ?
    Any advise would be highly appreciated.
    Respectfully
    Roberto

2. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Dirty injectors and carboned valves.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Bad injector..well known issue in the earlier California.

Circle K and Qavion like this.
  4. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I will explore these advises, but i have a feeling, ultimately, i will have to take the car to the dealership to resolve. (Which means $$$$ !)
    Those are issues above my capabilities.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well..you did buy a Ferrari. Expensive maintenance should be expected.

6. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I know

7. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hope you get it sorted out! Let us know what the dealer says.

8. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I just ordered Spark Plugs and Coils and will try again before taking the car to the Ferrari dealer here in Vegas.
    I red a thread about a very similar issue and the resolution ended up being coils. Wish me luck !

tomc likes this.
  9. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Replaced spark plugs and coils and .... unfortunately no change !

10. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Dealer is next

11. Andretti Molletti

Andretti Molletti Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    You can read the old spark plug.. common issue is water ingress in the spark plug hole..
    But, you can diagnose this problem with the (E)OBD tester and read the short term fuel and long term fuel trims.
    Also on both banks! Anything above 10% should be investigated!
    Take notice if you view the trims, you should do that at the actual load and rpms where the problem is the biggest.. but even at idle you will see wrong trims if there are "mis-trims" (no idea of the english word)

12. Msterlung

Msterlung Rookie

Jul 10, 2021
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Marc Sterling
    This is a complete aside- in your restoration (maintenance) did you happen to recharge your AIr Conditioning refrigerant? I have a 2010 Cali that is need and wondered how difficult this would be? Are the high and low ports accessible short of a tear down of the engine bay?

M Sterling

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Fortunately i don't have this problem on my car, however i did see the AC ports after pulling the side bays out, which is a 10 min job.

14. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Car finally went to the local Ferrari dealer and was diagnosed with bad rails fuel pressure sensors. Intake valves carbon cleaning was also done.
    Unfortunately .... still No change, so disappointed ! Taking the car back this coming week for further diagnosis. My odyssey continues

15. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hope it's fixed soon!:(

16. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Car was diagnosed this time with a faulty high pressure fuel pump. They did a quick swap with a known working unit to make sure and it was confirmed. Waiting for the new part to arrive and i should finally be set. Can't wait ! This would be the very first time i could feel the car with full power.

17. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
  18. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    That was it ! High pressure fuel pump.

19. houdaman

houdaman Rookie

Aug 7, 2022
    Full Name:
    alex s

I’m running into the exact same problem. Any chance you can share Howmuch this runs at dealer?

20. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Hi there, bill was around 7K but 3/4of the diagnostic was wrong and parts were replaced without any improvement.
    The High pressure pump was just another wrong diagnosis as the problem reoccurred again.
    Finally the fuel injectors were taken out and clean. That did it. The dealership did not charge for the labors on this last time. Fuel injectors cleaning ran at about $450.

21. houdaman

houdaman Rookie

Aug 7, 2022
    Full Name:
    alex s

I thought high pressure pump WAS the culprit, and not the injectors and plugs. Sorry if I made a mistake. Exact thing is happening to my my California and I’m seeing which route to go.