355 - knocking engine when cold start ... | FerrariChat

355 knocking engine when cold start ...

Discussion in '348/355' started by evo11, May 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    Guys,
    the car was at service specializized in such cars for the belt service.
    The motor was removed and the timing was adjusted using specialized tools.
    When the car was delivered to me, i started the engine and we heard strange knocks from the top of the engine.. on idle.
    When I added a little gas, they stopped immediately, when the revs dropped, it started knocking again and after a while it stopped knocking when everything gets worm. A few hours later I started the car and there were no knocks. I took a test drive and hit 8300rpm in 6th gear. I put the car in the garage back. The next day I started the engine and it started knocking again, I decided to leave garage and hold the car at a rpms where these nocks are gone.. After a while the knocks disappeared on idle rpm. Of course, next week the company that did the service will take the car back, but I wonder if any of you had a similar story and have an idea what it could be ..? The car now has 10,860 kilometers driven and has been regularly serviced by a Ferrari.
    We changed oil to the Millers.
    Here is the movie.
    Thanks a lot !

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Can you isolate the noise in the engine compartment? If it's external (it sounds like a belt to me, but I'm new to 355's and their noises) you should be able to narrow it down. If it's an internal noise use an automotive stethoscope.

3. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    For me it's somewhere on the top of the engine.

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hard to tell on my lap top speaker (not the recording fault but my speaker fault) but it sounds like an exhaust leak I had on a car once.

5. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    But than it should be also notifiable on higher revs..

6. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Exhaust leak that goes away when everything heats up and expands?

7. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    You or your mechanic really need to take the time to go around the engine with a stethoscope and determine the location of the noise. This will help narrow down the potential culprits. Otherwise, it's a guessing game and lots of wasted time.

spaghetti_jet likes this.
  8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That would scare me.

taz355 and Targatime like this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Take it back to the guy who serviced it.

MAD828 likes this.
  10. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You got 8300rpm in 6th? Holy crap

that noise doesn't sound good.
    IMO, it does not sound bearing related, but it does sound valve train related. Almost like a tool is left in there.
    I would absolutely bring it back to the shop you had this done.

GTUnit likes this.
  11. Topace

Topace Karting

Apr 2, 2021
    Omaha ne
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Sounds like a belt with a flapper as it’s not tap tap tap. Sounds more like something going around a pulley then around another one.

12. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

26street and Targatime like this.
  13. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Wow.
    By the way, did you see that speed camera on top of the flyover?
    Just kidding of course. But hitting the limiter while there might be a problem, is not the best idea.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Engine "might" have a mechanical issue. Drive it at 175 mph. Not exactly the word I would use.

KevZep and Culprit like this.
  15. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I agree in that it does appear to have a belt or pulley sound to it. The last thing I would do with it is take it out for a hot lap, I would get it towed to the garage that just put it back together stat.

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    only had mine there once was surprised because I had never owned a car that would pull redline in top gear

17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It certainly sounds valvetrain related but it is hard to tell in the video.
    The exhaust manifold issue sounds more like lifter tick. This sounds more of a harder knock and even sounds "wet" somehow?
    Maybe it IS the oil you are using. Doubtful but I have never heard of Millers oil.

18. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Millers is a uk company, well know for plus for classics but do the full range.

What grade of oil did they put in? And what’s the temperature where you ate?

(And I really really wouldn’t be doing that type of driving or even running the engine until I’d figured out what was going on; unless you are into potential engine rebuilds?)

19. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    well i hope you find out the issue.
    i personally cannot say would it could be.

but if you heard that noise in the video, and subsequently took it out for an 8K+ rpm, 6th gear, 260kph, Blast, not sure that was the best thing to do.

your lucky the engine didn’t cease and explode under that kind of load, with whatever issue is causing that noise.

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Have them come pick it up with a tow

21. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    I have heard that ticking before. The said car went in to have its belts done because the owner thought it was the belt/tensioner side. But it was not, it still ticked and then stopped when warm. It was a lifter.
    Please keep us informed as to what it is.

22. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    That's the best. Engine makes a knocking sound so i took it to max rpm and posted it on a forum. Lol

26street and GTUnit like this.
  23. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My dealer uses Pakelo Krypton XT 5W 40. My car does have a slight ticking noise that will go away for a little bit as the headers warm up but then return. This is because I have a slight crack in my header (I have the Tubi manifolds but I haven't installed them. Wont drive the car until its fixed and I need time to do it).

My ambient temp is 70-80F.

This noise that the OP has I can't really tell what it is. Sounds wet. Has the OP checked near the front of the engine to see if the sound is coming from there? It could be the oil pump chain tensioner going, too.

24. evo11

evo11 Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    K