The BORA | Page 38 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Here’s a question, has anyone seen a Bora with a vented hood that was hinged at the windshield?

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    From an operational standpoint I just wish that they'd have done the airflow for the radiator exit right with the vents further back and properly designed ductwork. But that would have destroyed that very useful front luggage area and I've used that a lot and the area under the glass hatch is great for wardrobe bags ... with an auto press feature! ;)

As it is on the 75 & after cars the flow design out that hood is an inoperable bad joke.

But I think it looks OK.

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    There are lots of Boras that fit that description, just look on my website at Boras build in late 1973 through 1975. They have vents and hinges on the firewall. In 1977 the year the hinges were moved; supposedly after several hoods flew open while at speed. .

http://thecarnut.com/priormaser.html

Ivan

staatsof likes this.
  4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Having the rear hatch open is even worse! I only know of one and not mine!

5. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #930 AMLC, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Thanks, that’s a lot of documentation! Impressive work.
    Find it hard to draw any conclusions though.

About this list: http://web.archive.org/web/20020128195942/http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6743/Bora/registerlist.html
    The comment on the site is: “The following 220+ Boras are listed exactly as they were relayed to me, including sequence of serial number terms (US.49 vs 49.US) as I assume the owner/observer has the best knowledge.”
    What I would like to know is where the owner/observer looked for these numbers, did they look in the documentation, or on the car itself, and if so, where (crossmember, headlight bucket, a plate?)? Maybe in some cases there was “US” in the documentation but nowhere on the car. That’s why I think it’s hard to draw any conclusions from this list.

And about this list:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20011216150323/http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6743/Bora/factorylist.html
    There are many lines where the column Model is filled with “European model” and the column “Serial number range” is filled with a chassis number with “US” in it. I don’t understand that.
    And take for instance #892, I had concluded this in my post above: “The lowest number that I can find that has “US” as part of that crossmember VIN is Bora #892 (AM117/US *892*). ” But in this list it is listed as AM117/892

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Those lists are from the late 1980's to mid 1990's and were put together by a now former Bora owner Scott McClure. He probably gathered info from a number of sources. Back then the only real piece of info we cared about was the number so I'm not surprised that the US would be left off in some instances. Personally I wouldn't conclude anything from that. The ones you pointed out that don't have the "US" stamped in some places is kind of interesting.

These were already old but quite beautiful cars that people bought to drive and have fun and not revered classics which they are more so now. Matching serial numbers wasn't the huge thing it is today, something I still think is silly. Just look at Maserati's race cars the now most revered of them all. The chassis numbers and engine numbers are a constant puzzle to those who obsess over such things.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Ok, 80´s-90´s, that explains a lot, there wasn´t as much info online as there is now of course.

Somehow I thought that the “system” for the Bora numbers would be largely the same as for the Khamsin, so with a separate range for the US etcetera, and I was surprised to find out that it wasn’t. But then the question (for me) was what’s normal on a Bora, is it correct that #332 for sale in the Netherlands, and according to the seller sold new in the US, has a chassis number without “US” and without “/49” on the crossmember? After this short research I think the answer is yes.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I wouldn't worry about any of this ... Maserati isn't "normal" LOL :p

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  9. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes you have a point :), but nevertheless I (very slowly) learned to pay more attention to the numbers.

Years ago I laughed when I read in an article about the owners of classic Ferraris (not only GTO’s or SWB’s) that they could give you their chassis number if you woke them up at night.
    But today I wouldn’t buy any classic car without a thorough check of the numbers.

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And if it's had an engine or tanny swapped so what? The Lamborghini factory swapped plenty of motors and that's probably a good thing. Is it well documented? Frankly I don't know.
    Info was quite sketchy when I researched the glass roof Espada. I brought everything I had at the time and showed it to Valentino at a car event. His first reaction was that it was a fake. It had blue shag carpeting that frankly looked awful but they said it was ordered that way. Weeks later he confirmed the entire story. So they obviously have some info.

11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    contrary to popular belief/myth, The Italians are very good record keepers. Which is why we have records from the Roman Republic/Empire. The issue is they are very private about those records. Think of the Vatican Library, centuries of records, not exactly accessible to anyone.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So, then Maserati is just exceptionally bad?

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    they aren’t, there's just certain records they don’t readily share. Read Cozza’s book, with particular reference to the day Italian Federal Government officials (forget which office) paid Cozza an early morning visit wanting documents and implying serious charges.

Luckily This happened just after Ferrari took control Maserati, phone calls were made to Ferrari legal department to defuse the situation. The situation involved replica Maseratis and ended with a judge ordering the destruction of original Maserati race engines.

They have the records, it’s a matter of what they’ll share and with whom. Perfect example, Marc was able to get the supplier information for a Khamsin spare tire. Someone else inquirers and the answer maybe we no longer have that information. Why? Because they know Marc, he is a “Friend of the Factory” they know his intentions etc.

14. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is how i over came the problem of expelling the hot air within the radiator compartment. It also had a secondary effect that it keeps a considerable amount of hot air out of the cabin making it much cooler inside.
    Furthermost it can be brought back to original just be removing the fan and installing the scoop.

71Satisfaction and ralt72 like this.
  15. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    That's a great color. Is your hood vented ?

16. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Did you have to do any modifications underneath the car , openings, slots, etc. to the car as my Bora doesn't seem to have that configuration underneath. My Bora is a pretty late model, #1000, with the hood vent.

17. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Great idea!

Interesting comparison to mine, #932, with vented hood (and rear hinges) 1975 model year. Mine has far less enclosing sheetmetal forward of the up-turn of the coolant tubes. And I'm not saying its original - probably modified to flow more air.. fewer clamps on my coolant tubes too.

...and just one minor point about choice of words - there shouldn't be an air "scoop" there, but rather an air "extractor", to draw air from behind the radiator, like the fan does.

Lovely as usual,
    - Art

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have similar examples that indicate quite the opposite. But both of ours are anecdotal so generalizing from them is folly.

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very smart solution!

20. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    ralt72 likes this.
  21. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    No mods...

22. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Art.
    Correct.. either way extractor or scoop quite useless...

71Satisfaction likes this.
  23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My Bora is the later variety with the vents in the hood so the airflow path is quite different.
    On yours does all of the radiator exit air go through that fan or are there other exits?

24. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Smart move.
    I like it!

BRAVO:)

25. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Bob
    There are 2 other exits approx 300mm x 125mm on either side of the fan that i installed however they are totally inadequate.

ralt72 likes this.