How much is a Dash leather fix cost on 456 | FerrariChat

How much is a Dash leather fix cost on 456

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Patek, May 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Just got a quote from a dealer that the dash on the 456 needs to be fixed and can't be scraped off or something. The cost they sent me by email was $10,500. That is a lot as this is not a classic 330 or a 275. What other options did I have. This is for factory leather. Are there not shops that would do it for $5,000 or so....
    Thanks so much.
    John

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, $4-5000 is about right. $10,500 is excessive even though they do have to pull the dash.

3. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    The dealership is a bit steep. What other options do I have.
    John

4. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Option: If you are reluctant to DIY, then find a good mechanic to assist you in removing the dash in your own garage. Removal and subsequent 'emptying' of the dash will be about a days work if you haven't done it before. Once out you can also renew the rubber seals in the vent openings (which will have disintegrated), remove the sticky on the window vent parts and check the speakers. There's a thread on here with detailed pics on how to remove the dash; very helpful. It is not particularly difficult, just many steps to take. And 2 persons are required to lift the dash out of (and back into) the car.
    Then either bring the dash to a good upholsterer of stretch the leather yourself. Be aware that stretching and subsequent drying of the leater takes time, in my case about 2 months for wet stretching and another month drying (while still tensioned). New leather of this quality (bull's neck?) is very hard to find and expenisive, but if not torn or otherwise damaged the leather CAN be stretched back to it's original length with just water, some tensioning and time. A nice job for the winter.

Dchrisnota likes this.
  5. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Yes, there is a lot of work to get the dash out, I’ve done it twice but I still have the original leather on it. Not that difficult DIY but laborsome and you need to be careful.

Mine is without airbags so it makes things a bit easier. And the 330 and 275 should be much cheaper as it’s both easier and the leather is also smaller and easier to apply. YMMV.

If you get a perfect result for $4000-$5000 it sounds about right as Taz said.

Cheers!

6. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Too much "know how" is needed for me to do any DIY. The authorized Dealership has the car.

7. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    The local dealer is farming this out and taking a nice cut. Post in the relevant regional section for an auto upholstery shop and I bet you get the same crew for half the price.

root likes this.
  8. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    For $10k you could ship the car to Dan at BRADAN and have him do the dash and probably a few other maintenance items and ship it back to you. At least you'll know the work is being done by meticulous experts. I'd do it if I were as close as you are to his shop.

9. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Root that is sort of what I am thinking, I just posted it yesterday on the New England site. Thanks.