F355 Steering wheel options | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 Steering wheel options

Discussion in '348/355' started by CCWillF355, Jun 29, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AVMotorsport

AVMotorsport Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex V
    An OEM Japan-spec (same as Euro) '94 pre-airbag 355 steering wheel. Slightly smaller in diameter than the airbag wheel, with an adapter and spacer to work with the F1 paddles. I got mine reupholstered in alcantara. I was thinking of restoring it back to leather, but what the heck, I am enjoying it as it is. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    #27 michaelz, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Not with those wheels specifically but can comment on dish vs no dish and also size.

All those prototipos are generally 350mm in size. Great wheels but I always felt that particular design is better suited to Porsche 911s.

If bolting the wheel directly onto the boss kit without any form of spacer, you may want to consider a dished steering wheel to bring the hand grip closer to you and fix the 355's inherent ergonomic problem of having the steering wheel too far from the driver.

In saying so, I have used in the below order:

F355 factory 3 spoke 355mm (the size I suspect is not a coincidence, love this wheel, just sat too far away for my liking):
    [​IMG]

Ferrari 328 wheel (aka MOMO Veloce 350mm) with a quick release acting as spacer:
    [​IMG]

MOMO D35 (350mm) also with a Works Bell quick release which also acts as a spacer:
    [​IMG]

So far I prefer the looks of the D35 the most but found 350mm still felt too big since the standard 355 rack is too slow for my liking.

I will be switching soon to a Juran Racing Speed 320mm and hopefully this is the final piece of the puzzle to get the driving position just right.

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.
  3. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Thinking about this myself. Have the Prototipo in my 964 and was surprised at the larger expected feeling of 350mm. Curious about the 320. Always thought it was too small for the street but maybe not?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    #29 michaelz, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Whether it's too small or not depends on the rack ratio. For most cars 350mm is just right but there have been instances where I needed even smaller.

I had a NB Miata which I used to daily drive and a 330mm Nardi was perfect. I later move the wheel to my FD RX7 which had a 350mm and I was surprised how much better a 330mm was again. Mazda steering ratio I found to be slower than most other cars so the 330mm did improve the feel.

Since the 355's rack is known to be slow requiring more turning, it's worth trying a 320mm I thought. Cheaper solution than finding a 355 challenge rack. :)

P.S. The 320mm is on the way from Japan, ETA 7 days. I'll report back soon with findings.

5. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    can’t wait to hear your impressions!

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  7. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    #32 Mike Morrissey, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021

Attached Files:

8. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    X2... Specifically interested to hear/see if it impairs your view of the gauges.

9. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I don't get the hate for the stock airbag wheel. I've always thought it looks nice. All things being equal I'd take the early non-airbag 355 wheel, but the airbag wheel doesn't stick out to me as an eyesore.

tres55 and jimmym like this.
  10. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Am I the only one who isn't fond on any of these? All the momo style just make the car look so dated IMO
    The problem is I dont like the suitcase stock wheel either lol.

I think if i was to replace mine, I suppose I prefer the 360 style

Mike Morrissey and tres55 like this.
  11. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    +1

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Dated = classic ;)

13. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    This looks great! How's the match of the Momo leather to the OEM dash and surrounding pieces?

ShineKen likes this.
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Ahh. Good question :).

Ferraris up until the 360 use Connolly leather. Momos built for Ferrari (Most likely with an “F” designation in the back of the steering wheel and have Ferrari part numbers) were either made with Connolly leather or have a pretty damn close match. Momos not made specifically for Ferraris have its own leather. 360 uses Poltrona Frau leather.

The 308/328/288 steering wheels I have are the best leather match. Just pay close attention to interior pics of these cars. 348 steering wheels are also made by Momo and match similarly.

Or... you can always re-upholster the steering wheel of your liking with Connolly leather or just go Suede/alcantara for an entirely different look.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    ... And classic = 60s and 70s

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Those would be wooden steering wheels. I stand corrected... modern classic .

17. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I'm with Kenny personally. I'd consider the pre-airbag 355 steering wheel only...and even then it feels a bit wrong without the passenger pre-airbag compartment to match.

I'm becoming bit of a purist it seems. Send help.

ShineKen likes this.
  18. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #43 kenneyd, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
    I'm certainly glad that we're not all the same. I think everybody agrees if you painted it hot pink with some ghetto chrome rims (or worse, make it look like that SEMA 'button built' wide body) is wrong but everything under the realm of what the majority of us do here in my opinion is completely fine.
    We have purest and we have modders.
    I guess what's odd about me, is I love the modded look, but the stock airbag wheel lol

tres55 and ShineKen like this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I've got 2 beautiful 100% purist stock 355 airbag steering wheels for sale if anyone is interested :).

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I hated the OE airbag steering wheel when I first got my 355. Probably changed out the wheel within a month. Over the past decade, I've gotten used to the way it looks. I'm actually ok with it. However, I never liked the way it felt. Diameter too large and felt heavy.

tres55 likes this.
  21. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I agree, on other cars I've owned like my e55 and e63 even my old Saab lol The steering wheel is nice and thick. While the Ferraris is fairly thin. That mixed with the very light steering does kind of have a slight awkwardness to it that would be fixed either by the tighter ratio challenge steering rack or a smaller diameter wheel.
    I'd be up for a 360 shaped airbag with a thick D shaped wheel with a slightly smaller diameter

22. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    A bit more grainy. Same dull sheen. About 3/4 inch less diameter, so I don’t need to adjust the tilt any longer to get in and out. Took a few miles to get used to, but love the feel. None of the gauges or lamps are blocked. Total cost was a bit over $400.00.

23. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    The 360 is a beautiful wheel. When I see one for sale it’s usually without an airbag. If you find an airbag for it, the total cost has been reaching the 3k to 4K range. Ouch.

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  25. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have the Prototipo wheel on one of my Pantera’s. It came on that car, but I don’t think I would put it on a F355 though.