456 v 575 Dilemma / Advice Appreciated | FerrariChat

456 v 575 Dilemma / Advice Appreciated

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Joel Delman, May 6, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Hi All,

So here's my dilemma (and yes, as dilemmas go not one to complain about)... I'm looking to buy my first 12 cylinder Ferrari. I love, and can afford, a nice 456M with a manual. And I love, and can afford, a nice 575 F1. Right now prices on these cars seem very comparable, though of course they are very different cars.

Can anyone who has owned both / owns both weigh in on pros and cons of either? My guess is the 456M with 3 pedals will be a better financial investment long term, but I would enjoy the F1 just fine (stick is not always a bonus in traffic) and much prefer the 575 in terms of design.

My primary goal is a car to enjoy driving while it appreciates, I'm not going to lock it away in a garage and watch Hagerty valuations. But I also want to make a smart investment.

Any and all opinions greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

I have never owned or driven a 575, but I have driven a 6-sp 3-pedal 550 and have owned a 1995 456 GT, 6-speed, 3-pedal, no airbags.

I bought it because it was what I wanted. Seventh summer starting. No regrets.

I am sure it will be easier to sell the 575 F1, and most likely for a better price.

But I don’t buy cars for selling them, I follow my heart, and that is what I suggest also to my friends.

But some people prefer their wallet, so I can not help you with your dilemma as I don’t know you,

Life is about desicions. :)

Cheers, and good luck!

EnzoItaly likes this.
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Dream on......if you are relying on appreciation to justify a relatively cheap Ferrari you probably won't be able to afford to maintain it properly

Shark01 likes this.
  4. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    You can always convert the F1 to a manual if you desire in the long run. While a converted car wouldn't pull factory manual money, it would be more valuable than an F1 car. Historically 2+2 Ferrari aren't as sought after as the other models, so I wouldn't grab one with the intent of it being a money-maker. Also, the 575 hasn't historically done well value wise unless it was a high option car or with unique options, which again will likely carry on into the future.

My 575M was my first 'automatic' in a decade. The old F1 in sport mode and controlled manually is surprisingly fun and has enough of a unique characteristic (compared to newer systems) where I don't lust for a 3 pedal conversion . . . and I have all the parts/tuning to do so at my disposal.

Between 456 & 575 would be: style, number of seats, power/performance and number of pedals. Whichever of these three added up is more important to you is the better choice as there isn't a wrong choice.

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Playing Capitan Obvious, isn’t the 550 the natural winner? The looks you like, the transmission you like, and the best appreciation potential.....the true and only successor to the Daytona.

Texas Forever and tantumaude like this.
  6. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    While depreciation is no longer really a factor with 456s and 575s, you're making a huge assumption here. Nobody has a crystal ball, but at best if you buy the right car, net of maintenance and other ownership costs, you might more or less break even over time. If you're lucky, maybe make a little money overall. If you're in it to flip it for a big profit, good luck with that. It's a crap shoot.

In other words, don't buy a Ferrari as a financial investment. Most Ferraris -- most cars for that matter -- cost money to own, sometimes lots of money, and generally make crappy investments. Buy it because you simply want a Ferrari to enjoy. Any potential financial gain would be icing on the cake.

7. thomharrow

thomharrow Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    New Canaan, CT Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Thom Harrow
    I’ve owned both the 456GT and 575 M with F1. Ive also owned two 330GTC, Daytona, Boxer, and 400GT. Not bragging I swear. But I know the 12s.

F1 is fine to drive. It takes some skill so there’s satisfaction. It’s smooth and you can downshift into the torque curve just like a stick but you’ll never be as good and your ability to concentrate is better.

the 456 is a nice car (no offense to 456 owners) but it is what it is. A heavier car whose value will always be limited by the extra seats. The design is creative and a good solution to the extra seats but there are limits to what they can do. To me, it’s kind of a boring car.

yes, there’s a stick. And yes there’s lots of HP but far from what’s in the 575, which is a lighter car.

To me, bottom line is the 575 is a lot more car. The F1 makes it perform better and there’s a reason Ferrari doesn’t sell sticks any more.

As to value track the values of a 250 or 330 4 seater vs coupe. When they were all almost beaters 40 years ago, they were priced the same. The two seaters are now twice the price. Yes you’ll pay less on a 456 but it’s better to compound a higher starting number if you can afford it.

They’re both great cars but the 575 two seater will hold your interest longer.

One last thing. I’m 6-3 and 135 pounds. I’m used to the folded leg/straight arm position and willing to put up with it for the experience, but the 456 is definitely more comfortable.

One last last thing, the 456 was an earlier car. The whole stretched leather and sticky switch thing is way worse. Check the fit of the leather around the passenger air bag.

8. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Appreciate the good advice, thank you. All very much with how I was feeling... found this great 2004 575 locally and it's now mine, could not be happier with the decision:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LVP488, brogenville, SteveVT and 2 others like this.
  9. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Thanks, all very true. Per my reply above, I went with my heart on this one and am glad I did.

10. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Congratulations: enjoy it (but be carefull with the throttle until you know the car)!!

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Both cars are GTs. But the Maranello is much more of a sports car. You only live once, get the Maranello.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Joel Delman likes this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Very pretty 575M. Looks like Tour De France and Cuoio.

Joel Delman likes this.
  13. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Thanks, those are the colors... Very nice combination IMO. Only change I'd make cosmetically, wish it didn't have the Scuderia badges, but tI know most seem to prefer them.

rhern213 likes this.
  14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I would say it seems most prefer no shields....myself I really wanted them.

Joel Delman and white out like this.
  15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    shields are the way to go. ;)

Joel Delman likes this.
  16. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    If you'd consider trading fenders for a non-scuderia badge let me know! :D

Joel Delman likes this.
  17. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    Ha, will keep you in mind... Guess if I ever have to repaint down the road, can remove them and fill the spots

rhern213 likes this.
  18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Since you both have TdF that would be a classic move! Wonder if anyone here on the forum has done that? I recall reading that having the fenders pressed to factory look “recessed” seemed silly expensive to do non-original embedded “normal” shields.

rhern213 likes this.
  19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No shields on mine, but I am highly ambivalent about shields. Ambivalence being defined as your mother-in-law going over a cliff in your FF.

rhern213, SteveVT and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  20. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I am honestly willing to do so, lol. Just in case I checked the diagrams, the 550/575 fenders are the exact same part numbers and just a handful of bolts to remove. The only question for me would be for paint matching. But since both cars are lifelong garaged, and close in year, 2001-2004, they should be pretty identical.

21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If you guys were both in LA it would be neat to get a “side by side” photo!

rhern213 likes this.
  22. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Can't think of anything better than driving through the mountains and coast of CA. Well....with no traffic

23. Joel Delman

Joel Delman Karting

May 4, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joel Delman
    hmmm, let me drive the car a whilee and see if the shields grow on me... originality means a lot to me, and as they were the fenders she was built with not sure how I'd feel about swapping them out (and of course paint match is a concern, garaged or otherwise the tone or metallic direction for reflections can be different on different cars.

24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #24 Ferrari55whoa, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Rich, I don’t remember did the 575 recently at coparts have shields? You could get on the list at ferrparts or another dismantler for fenders with shields and then get them painted?

EDIT yup that car had shields...not sure where the car went though.

rhern213 likes this.
  25. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I didn't see that car I'll look it up.
    I don't know if I want to go that route of getting used fenders and painting though just because of the cost of it. Since it's more of a preference than a value add I don't know if it's worth it.