For Sale - Group buy for 458 Challenge Fuel cells. | FerrariChat

For Sale Group buy for 458 Challenge Fuel cells.

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by windsock, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    We are looking at making a run of 458 Fuel cells for the Challenge cars. Our first run of 6 sold quicker then we anticipated. Looking for a run of 20-30 if we can find interest. Price will reflect the number put in the order.

2. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    Keep me posted. May be interested.

3. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
  4. jackb111

jackb111 Karting

Mar 13, 2016
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I am in the market for one as well

5. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Vitalcompetition.com or pm me. Will start production next week. Delivery three weeks out.

6. Paul Mitolo

Paul Mitolo Rookie

Apr 30, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul Mitolo
    Can anyone out there assist me with the acquisition of fuel cells for a 2012 458 challenge.
    Are the fuel cells for all various years of the 458 the same?

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Paul I am no longer with Vital competition but my new company is retaining the fuel cell distribution. We are making a run of 458 Challenge fuel cells. Yes all the years of 458 Challenge cars use the same cell.
    We also will be making a run of 360/430 cells. let me know how we can help. We also have a full supply of pumps, filters, gaskets and seals for the cells.

8. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    How often do 458 fuel cells need to be replaced?

9. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    from ATL:

“Most ATL racing cells are warranteed for 5 years, which is the legal life span established by most racing organizations.”

10. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Price for a fuel bladder for a Challenge car is about 3400 GBP

when you buy x pieces you get a discount :)

11. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    All FIA certified cell which is the industry standard are certified from 5 years from manufacture. Shelf life can become an issue for low volume cells.
    There is an option to get a FIA fuel cell re-certified for an additional 2 years. That re-certification must be done by the original fuel cell manufacturer and done prior to its expiration date in year five. Specifics on re-certification vary from each manufacturer.

12. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

Which Challenge car are you getting fuel cell bladders for that price? I would buy all you can get at that price as that is less then a third of the cost in the US.

13. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Aero Tec Laboratories Ltd
    Supplier of motorsport fuel bladders for all major European manufacturers.

14. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    That cell is $9300 plus shipping by the time you get it to the US. As ATL has a US distributor ATL UK will not sell direct. It is the reason we paired with a US manufacturer to make our own. We also had a rash of brand new cell failures in the 488 Challenge cars that were very unnerving.

15. BabyFerrari

BabyFerrari Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    anonymous
    +1 for Windsock
    quality work!

f355spider likes this.
  16. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I wish I’d seen this. I bought new from Michelotto.

17. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Hi Windsock,

I'm just now digging into the heavy research and planning phase of purchasing a 458 challenge Evo, exclusively for non-competitive trackday use.
    For trackday use, what kind of lifespan should one expect out of these fuel bladders?
    Does the fuel simply erode the bladder over time to the point that dangerous leaks become a possibility? Is the 5 year lifespan the result of overzelous insurance requirements or do you find it to be a good idea even for trackday use?
    Let me know what your units cost, would be interested in factoring that into my calculation.

I am local to you by the way, hope to see you at the Ridge some time!

18. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Please quote me a 488 Challenge fuel cell and estimated time of delivery. I still have about 18 months but just curious on cost and time frame.

20. Alamo Gear Head

Alamo Gear Head Karting

Sep 28, 2015
    I'm looking for replacement fuel cells for the 458. Please let me know if you all are still manufacturing them. Running two cars, so might need two.
    Thanks,

21. hezgon

hezgon Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2006
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I'm too am looking for replacement fuel cells for the 458c. Please let me know if you all are still manufacturing them. Foam failed and bladders, pump, filters all have to be replaced.

Thanks,
    Stan

22. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

Currently offering cells manufactured here in US complete bladder, foam and gaskets for $10,250 plus shipping in US. Pump kits including pumps, plumbing pressure regulators and lids are $3369 plus shipping. ETA on bladders is roughly 30 days from order. Pumps kits have been problematic and running between 30-90 days.

Factory bladders $14,650 delivered in US with no ETA from time of order. Anticipate as long as 180 days but manufacturer will not make a commitment until they get a number of orders.
    Be careful to have anyone offering factory cells to confirm the production date on the cells you are purchasing. There are cells out there that are already 2-3 years old on shelf with a recertification done to get them back to five years..

23. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This seems to be the best / most recent thread. In for off-season maintenance on my F430C and there's a slight leak in the passenger side fuel cell. That's barely three years old. o_O

Per almost decade old suggestion in this thread I'm going to be calling "Fuel Safe" tomorrow to see if they have any options but @windsock would love to hear if you've got any suggestions / options for me. Thank you sir.

picture tax among some good company:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  24. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

It is very rare for the cell to leak itself but very common for both the top and side cover plates to leak either from the gaskets or through the fastening hardware itself if not properly assembled. What cell is currently in the car? If it is a factory cell did was it assembled with Hylomar and properly torqued as the sealing gaskets are molded into the tank and reusable on the original factory cell. ATL and FuelSafe use either cork or rubber gaskets that are not reusable. At three years old it is time for the cells to be opened and the pumps and foam inspected anyway and then resealed. We inspect and reseal annually. I am a distributor for fuel safe and would be happy to help. 360-941-6527

Performify likes this.
  25. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Will you be around tomorrow? I need to do the bags in my 360ch and I’d like to find out all of the options before ordering.