Daytona speaker grills (repro) | FerrariChat

Daytona speaker grills (repro)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by derekw, May 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I am probably going to get some 308 speaker grills made and could get some of the longer Daytona grills at the same time. If we go for extruded it would help cover the tooling costs. Here are our options for the 308, Daytona will be about 30-40% higher than these prices due to the longer grill. Extruded, anodised and polished it would be $100 plus shipping each ($200/pair) if we order 40 pairs (price drops a bit per pair due to tooling costs.) CNC from plate with anodising and polishing would be $150 plus shipping each (this is without machining the horizontal grooves in the back which you don't see.)

Let me know if you want a pair (or several) or know a Daytona owner who might want some. cheers, derek

2. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Derek I'm interested in a pair
    howard

3. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'd also take a pair...

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #4 TTR, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Derek, I’m not sure if you know, but reproduction Daytona speaker grilles are already available in your area and while not 100% accurate, they are quite well done, so you might ask yourself if creating competitive items for quite limited market is really beneficial or worth a while.

As someone who’s been reproducing variety of parts for numerous makes/models of vintage cars, including Daytonas, over 25 years, I’m convinced that it may not be enough to offer competitive pricing, the quality has to clearly surpass that of others and yet there’s no guarantee you’ll sell them, especially if your competitors are able to lower their prices below or close to yours.
    In the end, such competition may not benefit either of you.

For example, I’ve been reproducing some (non-Ferrari) items which are quite costly to produce and are considered on known to be better(?) quality than equivalent OEM items, but in past 5-10 years there’s been an influx of “cheaper” alternatives coming to market at a retail price of about half what my production cost are.
    While the market for them is much bigger than any Daytona related items and I still have relatively good, long term clientele who recognize the obvious difference and are willing to pay for it, my annual sales of them have dwindled to 10-20% of what they used to be 10+ years ago.

P.S. I couldn’t tell you how many of these types of ventures I’ve seen come and go bust in my 4+ decades in this hobby and business.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    OTOH, should you decide to produce Daytona grilles and they exceed the accuracy, fit & quality of existing reproductions at indicated price range, I’ll probably buy a set or two.

6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Hi Timo, who has the grills and what price? I’m happy to support them if they can offer this price range for a group of about 10-20 of us.

7. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I would need the dimensions of the Daytona grills (excluding the grooves and oval holes which are the same as the 308.) Can you help Alex or Howard?

8. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
  9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Thanks Mark. At £1440 that’s more skin than a pound of flesh . My second quote for the 308 grills is $120 each so the longer Daytona grills perhaps $160 each. Anyone have the corner to corner dimensions? Are the holes originally round? The 308 grills have oval holes.

10. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Derek I can get you photos and accurate dimensions as my car is being painted right now.
    give me a day or so.
    Thanks howard

swift53 and derekw like this.
  11. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sounds like Howard can get to his car faster than I can get to mine (also in the shop).

If Howard has trouble, I can see if I can get the dimensions.

12. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    I’m in for a pair for 308. Thank you.

derekw likes this.
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Forgot to suggest that should you decide to go ahead producing these for Daytona, further due diligence might be in order to prevent unexpected surprises.
    I've observed at least 2 different OEM(?) versions of them, but like with so many other ancillary components on these, who's to say there isn't more.
    After all, the model was in production for nearly 4 and 1/2 years.

14. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Thanks Timo, if someone sends a couple of photos and the dimensions they should be easy to make as I suspect the extrusions were the same as the 308.

15. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Alex, computer problems and I'm stuck till my tech can fix it. Sorry

16. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Alex, PM me your email address and I'll get the photos to you

17. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    My email is derekrwhite at yah00.c0m (don’t forget the r in the middle.) Someone has suggested that the Daytona extrusion is slightly different so would appreciate some measurements of the groove top width, depth, and bottom width. Also, are the holes round or oval? Hole dimensions?

18. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Got it. will send in an hour or so