F12 Fluid Leak Near Rear Left Wheel | FerrariChat

F12 Fluid Leak Near Rear Left Wheel

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Garthbo, May 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi all. Drove my 2014 F12 yesterday and today noticed some sort of oily fluid on the garage floor where the left rear tire sits. Tried to see where the leak was coming from but couldn't really determine, Just noticed that the inside bottom part of the rims has some of the oily fluid stuff when I touched it. Hope someone can help me figure out where this leak is coming from.

Here's a picture of the area where I felt the oily fluid.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    The only thing that would make sense to me would be brake line/caliper.

3. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Would I lose control of my brakes if it was a brake fluid leak? I was thinking it could be a shock leak as well but I read that shock leaks don't normally release enough fluid to cause a small puddle on the floor. Although I was touching the lower surface of the strut and noticed it was oily.

Thanks for your reply 350MH83!

4. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    well you are right that it could be a strut, but I would imagine a leaky strut would be quick easy to spot. If there is a brake leak, you would be probably be fine as long as there is still enough fluid in the brake fluid reservoir. The pedal might feel softer though, and the harder you press, the bigger the leak will be.

Garthbo likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Brake or shock. Pop the wheel off and take a look. Did you have brake work done recently?

6. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    No brake work recently. I'll take the wheel off to take a closer look. Is it easy to find the brake line to the caliper? Sorry I'm far from being a mechanic.

THanks.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes its easily located. A metal tube connects the inner and outer piston blocks and they are fed by a rubber brake hose. Also check bleed screws on each side of the caliper. With the puddle you show in the picture it should be easy to find. I have not examined the shock hydraulic connections so can't advice there but check for running fluid down the side of the shock body. Careful re-installing the wheel so as not to clip the ceramic rotor. Good luck.

8. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    So took off the wheel to examine further. Dry everywhere except for the shocks. Took some photos to show the oily areas. Car is a 2014 with 6,000 km. Maybe lack of use that caused the shock failure?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Looks like the shock.

If it was brake fluid, it would have eaten the paint finish of your wheels I think?

10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    And here is exactly why I hate low mileage Ferraris :)

otakki likes this.
  11. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    I am assuming Ferrari used DOT 5 brake fluid in the modern models, which is silicone-based and does not harm paint like the older types of brake fluids

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app