Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Hamilton doesn't relish an authentic challenge.

But Schumacher did.
    Lost at least 3 x WDC's as a result but conquering the challenge was worth it.

stavura, jpalmito, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  2. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Is that why Bottas is 0-4 against Max?

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

No it would be ask FA that question. Fully knew Alpine was not going to be superbly competitive. Is here no matter.

Vettel would appear to love racing. I do think he was counting on a more competitive Mercedes clone and realizes now he probably should have left lol.

SimCity3 likes this.
  4. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    who is they?

what excuses are they making?

Bas likes this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    You know, they have all at least one thing in common, which is that after a while, insult replaces argument.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If my post offends you, report it, by all means.

Back to the subject, and in response to your "question":

Right now, I don't think Hamilton has such a dominant car as he had before. The Merc and the Red Bull are very close.

IMO, Hamilton's success this year is due to better team strategy and his uncanny ability to manage his tyres, better than Verstappen.

Hamilton has already lost the technical advantage Mercedes enjoyed during the previous years.

It has been eroded by several rule changes that don't favour "party mode", DAR steering, low rake design, etc ... also Honda has caught up in the power race.

Still, Hamilton seems to accept the challenge and apparently wants to stay longer, even if his chances of success are diminishing.

So the assumption that Hamilton is staying in F1 only because he has a dominant car is uncalled for.

I think he just likes to race.

7. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    This from a gentleman who has been Banned before.....hmmmmmmm ?

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Toto reminded Bottas of who has the fastest car.

:D

stavura, Nortonious and Bas like this.
  9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Banned because PR comments.
    I don't remember insulting anyone here..

375+ and Nortonious like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

The Red Bull uses it's tyres harder than the Mercedes. Not quite sure how one can compare tyre management in two different teams anyways, but alas, you seem to make a go of it. Max compared to (all) his teammates tends to get more performance out of the tyres for longer.

Mercedes is still the better race car. It's more reliable, better on the tyres, still enjoys some power advantage (it was gaining 2 tenths on the Barcelona straight despite RBR forced to run a smaller rear wing).

Low Rake is definitely not a clear cut as to whether it's an advantage or disadvantage. Mclaren has moved to low rake, Ferrari has gone slightly lower rake, Mercedes stayed low rake. All 3 teams have improved. It depends wholly on the concept a team is running, but again, doesn't suit the narrative does it.

Does Mercedes have closer competition? Undeniably, in the form of Max/RBR. Are they still the team to beat? Absolutely so. Look how close Bottas runs Max. Look how far Perez is away from Max. Lets not forget about the rest of the field how far away they are. However, it's looking very much like Red Bull doesn't quite have the car they looked to have in pre-season testing.

Red Bull have a car that can certainly threaten Mercedes for pole at most tracks but their biggest concern is tyre usage and top speed. They are consistently closer which is a good start but they certainly don't have a better car.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    To be fair, I have also been banned before, so I see no stigma attached to a ban.

Exchanges become heated sometimes, mostly on a subject many feel passionate about.

Any conversation around Hamilton will bring controversy, because his place in F1 isn't accepted by some.

Hamilton is like the elephant in the room some want to ignore, but you simply cannot, so trying to knock him down is the next best thing..

The top athlete in any sport will attract detractors who would prefer someone else to shine instead.

That's the bottom line as far as I can see it.

thirteendog and ktu like this.
  12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    The barely concealed accusations of racism about the Hamilton topic are starting to get tiring.

This intellectual terrorism will eventually kill any form of debate from the moment a "minority" is involved.

kes7u and Nortonious like this.
  13. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Translation: Haters gonna hate

355TDI and william like this.
  14. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Like I said William, I'm not offended. But you do seem to resort to the ad hominem when your logic is challenged, claiming my words are driven by "spite" of all things. Can we not debate as adults?

Regardless, your lengthy recent post goes in circles. I'll just follow-up by reposting your own (condensed) words again.

I won't ask you to clarify again as that has proven troubling for you.

Instead I'll say that I actually agree with you. This should please you, yes?

Ham loves racing when given a dominant car.

Even if he eclipses every F1 record imaginable with Merc, I can't imagine he'd ever do something like set foot in a Spec Car series like IndyCar just for the joy of racing.

stavura, SimCity3, fil and 1 other person like this.
  15. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Why is Hamilton the elephant in the room? Please explain.

16. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Any Hamilton thread reveals a lot about the F-chat posters here.

17. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Indeed.

But then there's confirmation bias as well.

18. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Stop making excuses. All that does'nt matter when Max should have won 3 races this year. 1st was Bahrain, 2nd was Spain. Max is currently 4-0 against the other Merc. Hamilton is driving better than Max at the moment.

19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Please expand your thinking.

Nortonious likes this.
  20. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Let's just focus on the last race. Do you think ham would have risked the 2nd tyre change if Checo had been within 20" or so? Do you think ham would have overtaken max without the tyre change?

Let's not underestimate the value of bottas to ham's accomplishments.

375+ likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    "Change of fortune " can mean different things. To narrow it down to just "a catastrophic loss of performance" is too restrictive.

Most of the discussions last year centered on the future of the team, and were about the new MB CEO, Kalenius, who isn't a die-hard F1 fan.

Toto Wolff himself hinted me may relinquish his postion soon, and the team have a different principal .

There were even talks about MB selling the team, rumours about Mercedes-AMG morphing into Aston Martin, etc ...

Finally the dust settled, the team has now 3 equal owners and Toto is still in charge.

It's only when the situation became clear and Hamilton received some reassurance that he accepted to sign, having waited until Feb 2021 to do so.

My belief is that if the environment came to change drastically at Mercedes F1, Hamilton would stop.

I don't think Hamilton has to go down to race in a specs series to prove his worth.

Maybe Grosjean needs to do that, but not a 7 times WDC.

ktu likes this.
  22. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Did Max pit unannounced causing a slow pitstop? If so that didn't help. Also RB made the decision to keep Max out because they thought he could hold off Lewis. Lewis was able to do it.

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Michael loved racing, and Michael stepped aside to allow Massa to continue.

24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    DAS steering

william and Nortonious like this.
  25. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Don’t worry KTU,Mercedes and Lewis are not likely to lose both championships this year.
    Soon Max will experience first reliability problems during the race and Perez will start to spin because the Red Bull is difficult to drive when you really push.
    No need to stress.;)

SimCity3 and Nortonious like this.