812 VS Rumors | Page 317 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #7901 ScrappyB, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    I think the frustration stems from knowing that competing companies do offer systems that are market specific. Lamborghini uses GPFs on Huracans for China but not in the other markets. The V10 is also a low volume engine yet they’ve justified the extra development cost and manufacturing complexity in order to not punish customers in other regions. Lamborghini is keenly aware that sound is one of the top reasons why buyers choose a Huracan over its competitors and thus deemed the effort/cost worth it.

Ferrari chose a different path for the GTS and now the 812C and have business reasons for doing so. Namely, that the cars will sell out regardless and perhaps thinking that a single global spec is more ‘equitable’ to avoid important markets like Europe and China having customers that feel cheated because other markets have a more powerful and better sounding version.

Regardless, I love the car and would love one.... but part of me wonders what the engineers would have unleashed if allowed to develop two specifications.

Thecadster, gliazzurri, Bundy and 3 others like this.
  2. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    two? At least three..perhaps more..

His somewhat arrogant reply to me a while back -

3. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ch-e-e-e-r-s!!!

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think we know what a Ferrari race-inspired 9,500 RPM F140 NA V12 with 830 hp would sound like without the muffle box. Heaven.

5. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Except according to day355, the target redline was to be 9,750 rpm. I believe he or someone said the power was also planned to be higher. I can only speculate whether GPFs are directly at fault for not being able to realize those figures.

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I like that the engine uses finger followers instead of bucket/shims. They've been around a long time and need DLC or other coatings because they have a constant contact point but they don't go for the ride up/down on top of the springs so less mass. Not a design you want to get dry and then cold start after long periods of inactivity.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Well I feel cheated knowing that I have to deal the visual monstrosity that are NA spec side reflectors and our friends on the other side of the pond do not. Lol.

8. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    MDEL, Picchu88, day355 and 7 others like this.
  9. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    You can't imagine how that detail change EVERYTHING. I seriously plan to emigrate to USA and start a political career just to obtain the ban of those orange things, ans get back to France :D

MDEL, Caeruleus11 and BG23 like this.
  10. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Perfect choice of words. Makes any car look cheap

11. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I remember when he made that post to you. He was in extra aggressive mode at the time. He said similar to me.

Forza Scuderia and dcmetro like this.
  12. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019
    so why the Aston Valkyrie can hit 10500rpm and 1014ps with 6.5L v12?? are the not street legal specs? and what will can do the street legal version? (I read that there will be)
    Honestly I expected mouch more from Ferrari considering that a pretty old 6.2liter on FXX reach 860hp/9500rpm. No gpf, ok, but the new V12 have higher displacement and is, as I said ,newer (tech advance...)

LMH likes this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The arrogance he used on this thread was breathtaking. And then to completely capitulate and say “I’m gonna eat crow”, it’s startling really. I have no idea who he is (maybe others do) but my best guess is he’s a 12 year old trying to pretend to be an adult with some inside link to Ferrari. It’s really quite bemusing.

Forza Scuderia and dcmetro like this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think the issue will be that the Ferrari V12 has to work much better in a wider variety of situations than the Valkyrie and FXX with low speed tractability, NVH and other considerations much more in play. It also needs to be easier to maintain and have a higher reliability requirement (can’t remember but if Cosworth is making the V’s engine, and speaking as someone who owns a car with a a Cosworth built engine, good luck).

Doug23 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. Hetmanski

Hetmanski Rookie

Aug 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Hetmanski Yura
    after these detailed videos, can anyone explain what the reason was for making the back cover not glass?

16. maxxy

maxxy Karting

Mar 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    max luca
    of2worlds, leopoldo, Boots and 6 others like this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You have to take into consideration the complexities and limitations of a road car engine; a track engine has less restrictions (driveability, noise, emissions). The F140 seems to be at its limit, given the regulatory restrictions and other road related requirements. Incidentally, it produces 128 CV/litre in both the LaFerrari and the Competizione.

I would say weight reduction (and styling), but that's just my guess.

F140C and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019

but with a bigger and more advanced engine one would expect to go at least on par with the 860hp of the much older 6.2L...

19. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Good spot eagle eyes !!! :)

of2worlds, maxxy and dcmetro like this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I dont know the exact number, but I do know Ferrari builds its engines to not need a rebuild for a long time- I have heard the number as 100,000 miles. I doubt the Cosworth used in such limited cars is capable of anything near that. Should durability matter in cars such as these? I don’t know... If we would ask the man himself, Mr. Enzo Ferrari, I would imagine he could say that durability was a key component in many of his racing victories.

I also remember a time when the manufacturers did not make the cars too loud, I think it was for some regulatory reason. The flap exhaust I think got us past that, and we got such screamers as we were used to for the past few years. But now we have new issues. Back then, people would tailor the sound of the car to their personal tastes with a choices from what became a robust after market for exhausts. It was common to see cars sold with Tubi or other exhaust. Perhaps purists will keep their cars entirely OEM, but perhaps some will decide to allow us hear this engine unleashed with some personal tailoring. I wonder if this might also unleash a few extra cavalli?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

of2worlds, MDEL and F140C like this.
  21. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    I can’t really handle watching Shmee’s video so asking to understand if you all don’t mind.

Is this truly 999 coupes world wide? For context, I am asking this question to help get to the truth. If this annoys you, I apologize in advance. While “everyone” is confident that it’s confirmed to be 999, the reality can still be different. An example I’ll provide is, “everyone” (prior to Marcel enlightened all of us) is also confident and *knows* that the 812 SF production is over (if you’re curious, no it’s not over with at least one to be finished).

22. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    And yet it was @dcmetro who was struck with the ban hammer

Forza Scuderia and 350MH83 like this.
  23. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Lo Que Pasó, Pasó , let's go forward to see some nice 812C combos ;)

24. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    My thought at the time was he is a first year MBA student who had become quite the expert/guru after a Ferrari SpA case study class assignment.

Forza Scuderia likes this.
  25. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    In past and modern times as well, I would guess so. Novitec, Fabspeed, Kline etc. all claim +XX Hp and Nm with their exhaust systems (840PS on the Novitec 812, for example). Not sure how they work around the GPF (in terms of technical and *potential* legal issues), that will be certainly interesting to see.

NMB likes this.