I need some inspiration: ladies' watches | FerrariChat

I need some inspiration: ladies' watches

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by walnut, May 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    As some here may know, I've been tinkering in watchworks for a while now. This summer will begin a true adventure though of building timepieces of my own designs (movements will be roughly 80%-90% my design and fabrication though the movements are based on the ETA 6497 and 6498 movements).

While talking to my wife about it a few nights ago the usual glazed over look she gets when I nerd-out on technical stuff was replaced with one of interest. She says to me "what is my watch going to look like?"

o_O

After I picked my jaw up from the floor since she's never asked anything like this before, I found I still had nothing to tell her. I've never really thought about a "women's" watch before that. Unfortunately I think I'm in the situation where "she'll know it when she's sees it". The obvious questions I've got for her are: manual vs. automatic, date or no date, central vs. subdial vs. no seconds indicator? But these really only get after the mechanics.

So I'm reaching out to the venerable f-chat brain-trust for inspiration. Let's see those ladies timepieces from your, your spouses, your significant other, etc. collection! Help me inspire her!

Boomhauer likes this.
  2. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Well, I think the only thing that matters around our house is whether it has diamonds on it!
    On the other parameters I'd say automatic and no date. +/- seconds hand, and the significant other is still needed to wind/set it from time to time....

walnut likes this.
  3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Round, rectangle, tourneau? small, medium, large size? Perhaps something with an open heart design?

walnut likes this.
  4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I have a few in my "collection" if you want pics. I have my mother's Seiko that she got when she graduated nursing school, an old Bulova that was my grandmother's (a rectangle / tank watch), and an old Desta that's more of a traditional shape, but very small.

The nicest one I have is a Guess GC 1000 - men and women's tank watches with small seconds...looks like a cheap Cartier knock off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

walnut likes this.
  5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yeah. Some basic questions to be answered. Does she like big modern "technical" watches, bangle-ly jewelry types etc.?

You two might sit down together on the Chrono24 website and filter on "ladies" and then filter a decade. ... just hope she doesn't fall in love with something and click the "buy" button!

Another alternative is to stroll the watch cases in a department store to get a sense of what she is envisioning.

... or you could "guess" that she wants the man's watch that you are craving (and hope she doesn't like it).

(FWIW, my wife hardly wears any of the nice watches I've bought her. Currently, she either wears a plastic sports watch or her Apple Watch.)

walnut likes this.
  6. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Many great ideas brought up so far, thank you! She does currently wear an Apple Watch and I don't know how often she'll wear one I make but hopefully it would be the "go to" for special occasions at the very least. The biggest problem is she has no idea what she likes for watches as she just doesn't wear them... which I suppose means the ones she has are NOT the way to go!

7. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Take a look at the ladies Chopard watches, combination watch/jewelry look to them. That said, I think she'll love any watch you'll make! Please keep us posted.

walnut likes this.
  8. alexandra-ny

alexandra-ny Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexandra
    Watches for women are the same as for men - completely personal, so it'll be very difficult for you to choose one for your wife if it's to be a surprise. However, if it's for special occasions, it could be on the smaller side. Perhaps subtle but elegant. Something like a https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/en/watches/reverso/reverso-one-duetto-jewelry/3363402.html or https://www.cartier.com/en-gb/santos-dumont-watch_cod44733502651447098.html#dept=EU_Women-Watches?

The strap doesn't need to be traditional leather or metal. My oldest watch has a silk strap that really suits the age and face. I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs so sorry if it comes across that way.

And to reiterate what Poljav says above, anything hand made (within reason...) where time and effort are spent are greatly appreciated. Lucky woman :)

walnut likes this.
  9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Here's an idea, the Rolex Lady-Datejust:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    28mm Oyster case,
    Fluted bezel,
    Two-tone 18ct yellow gold (Yellow Rolesor) Jubilee bracelet,
    Champagne colored diamond-set dial,
    and the Rolex perpetual movement.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/lady-datejust/m279173-0011.html

Only negative, aside from the obviously eyewatering price, is the cyclops lens over the date. I wish the Datejust watches were available without the ugly magnifying lens. It's the reason I yearned for an Oyster Perpetual instead of a Datejust for my own watch. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    My wife has a JLC Reverso and an Omega Speedmaster Triple Date.

11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    walnut likes this.
  12. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
  13. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    We sat down and talked a bit more a few nights ago, looking at the pictures here and on Chrono24. The two that jumped out at her the most were the Tag Heuer Lady Carrera (two tone) and interestingly a Grand Seiko.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Most of the ones she seemed to like were similar to the Tag. The contrasting materials, narrow bezel, and the tapered lugs being the key shapes I noticed. Everything she picked out seemed to have a date indicator and if it had a seconds hand, it was a central seconds. When I started talking about the mechanical aspects (automatic vs. manual wind in particular) she wasn't sure. At least this will get me going on the overall layouts though!

14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#14 Cigarzman, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021