FORMULA 1 ARAMCO GRAN PREMIO DE ESPANA 2021: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 14 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ARAMCO GRAN PREMIO DE ESPANA 2021: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, May 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    F1 always had them, mostly in the top teams.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Remains to be seen. Horner said that Portugal and Spain would favor the Mercedes car, and that seems to have come to fruition. Let's see what happens on the next couple of circuits. I would think that Red Bull has a great chance of taking Monaco based on its superior speed in the lower torque/rev range (they look fantastic at the starts, week after week). I think it's too early to throw in the towel, but Hamilton certainly seems to be giving his full attention this season.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It will be very close this year, and the championship may be won by the team with the best pit strategy. (RB or MB only, of course).

Tyre management is very important, so is tyre preservation where Hamilton excels.

jgonzalesm6 and ricksb like this.
  4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think this is something that's often overlooked. It's the most apparent reason that Hamilton will beat Bottas even if outqualified. He has a firm grip on when to attack as his competition's tires start to go off. He does take different corner angles, but that can't be all (otherwise others would just do the same). When he starts saying "Bono, these tires are done" that usually means he's going on the attack and is probably talking about the tires of the car in front of him.

Picchu88, Terra and william like this.
  5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

F1 drivers aspire to good cars. Bottas is in one. Do you think he wants a less capable car? No of course not. He is doing his job. Hence his renewals. George might be faster. Frankly that is all we know of him. He makes poor decisons and on more than 1 occasion. He is learning. He is no LH from what I see. I would still take Norris. A keen and aware YOUNG driver he is. George has to cure some anger and impulse issues, frankly should be cured by now or is he the next Vettel?

375+ and william like this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Coming from someone that actually moved the goalpost.

Good play as usual Willy.

fil, stavura and jpalmito like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Maybe Russell feels entitled to drive for Mercedes next year, and attempting to pass Bottas at Imola was like putting his marker?
    Unfortunately, it didn't come off, and instead it threw some doubts on his ability to control his impatience.
    I still rate him highly though, and think he could have a bright future.
    With Hamilton talking about signing a new contract soon, Russell may have to wait for his turn, or try his luck elsewhere.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Bottas is driving for statistics only. He knows there is no WDC in his future and all he can do is assist in gaining more WCCs.

william likes this.
  9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    This proves Lewis is way beyond a tire 2 driver.
    Whereas Bottas would get 1-2 WDCs in the same car Lewis got 5 and nearly got 6 with Rosberg getting the other one.

william likes this.
  10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    My guess is::
    a) 3 races in a row where he disobeys team orders--Russel gets his seat.
    b) less than 3 in WDC--Russel gets his seat.

william likes this.
  11. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think he now has two incidents after hearing his statements following yesterday. I wasn’t certain if his double-brake move on LH in Portimao was to aid himself or bomb Hamilton’s start and give Verstappen a better run. I generally believe there is a lot these guys control and now I feel like VB knew what he was doing there. All fair, as he was trying to win a race, but not necessarily in the best interests of Merc.

12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Marko and co’s harshness can be criticised, but we can never deny that without the financial support of Red Bull few of these drivers would have had their chance in F1. Which is already huge when you’re not lucky enough to be a billionaire’s son.

375+, 635CSI, SimCity3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. RBR and their driver programs don't exist to pump up how their #1 driver is perceived by fans and other teams. What use is that?! It is in RBR's utmost interest for their #2 to perform well.

Doesn't suit willy's narrative though so...

jpalmito and SimCity3 like this.
  14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Let's not forget that Mercedes will keep it's engines turned down until it gets too close for comfort.
    Liberty needs a show this year and Merc are playing ball.

15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

In the Mercedes LH was a bit better than Rosberg and is a lot better than Bottas.
    Plain to see that Bottas would need Mazepin as a team mate to get a WDC.
    VB is good in quali but on Sundays is not a Top 10 racer.

jgonzalesm6 and jpalmito like this.
  16. DF1

Bottas is third in the championship with 1 pole, two fastest laps, and 3 podiums in 4 races whereas Perez is nowhere to be found. Bottas is doing a good job for Mercedes.

william likes this.
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    This reasoning is only valid when considering that the Mercedes and the Red Bull are globally equivalent.
    Which they are not.
    The reasoning can also be reversed:
    How is it that with such a strong car Bottas has not won at least one race this year?
    He is underperforming.

Picchu88, fil and SimCity3 like this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Maybe this has more to do with how much more Max is able to coax out of the RBR.

Perez was more competitive last year in a year-old Merc and even won a race.

fil and SimCity3 like this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Some people still don't understand how team orders work.

Any win by Bottas would be at the expense of Hamilton, and would help Verstappen towards the title.

Mercedes decided early in the season, the strategy to adopt for its Number One to build a cushion of points.

Inner team rivalry is good to watch, but can be disastrous for the end result.

Mercedes is focused on winning, not entertaining.

blkfxstc likes this.
  20. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Or maybe Lewis is over performing, making the Merc look stronger than it is?

william likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    During a race, Hamilton gets more out of his car than Bottas, that is obvious.

DF1, SimCity3 and ktu like this.
  22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Let’s say that he uses 95 per cent of the tool Mercedes gives him.

Nortonious likes this.
  23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Mercedes is the fastest car, as Toto kindly reminded Bottas.

Business as usual for Merc.

24. DF1

They appear to build a car he can cope with. He has the adaptability factor lacking in others. Others who are good drivers. FA, Charles, Max and I think LH appear to have this. George possibly and Norris. I think Max and FA have the most so far. To simply gain immense time/speed that a chassis should not provide. Fun to see!!

25. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think it’s pretty undeniable that Lewis Hamilton is a top tier driver. I don’t think there are many drivers from his generation who could consistently beat him over the course of a single season. The only two that really come to mind are Alonso and pre-headcase Vettel. Of the three, I would take Alonso. I also believe that either of them would have easily achieved what Hamilton has.

I do think his car makes him appear to be god-like, and that several of the youngsters including Verstappen, Leclerc, Norris, and Russell could give him a real run for his money, just like Alonso dethroned Schumacher.

375+ and Nortonious like this.