FORMULA 1 ARAMCO GRAN PREMIO DE ESPANA 2021: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 13 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ARAMCO GRAN PREMIO DE ESPANA 2021: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, May 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Bottas is not on the same level as Hamilton, but he is surely not hopeless!!

17 poles, 17 fastest laps, 59 podiums and 9 GP wins attest to that.

He is driving to his brief and keeps shadowing Hamilton year after year.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

We demanded this scenario and it’s fun. Element of unpredictable is involved as well.

3. DF1

RedBull wish for this driver performance from the other driver. Bottas is doing his job.

ricksb, F2003-GA, subirg and 2 others like this.
  4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    True. People say Bottas is hopeless and for sure he is not tier 1. But he is solidly in the tier 2 pack - where most of the other F1 drivers are. Personally, I think he should see out this season with Merc but then swap seats with Russell.

ricksb and F2003-GA like this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Hamilton won't never accept Russell.

stavura, ingegnere and Isobel like this.
  6. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    George Russell sure made him look hopeless last season...

stavura, ypsilon and Nortonious like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #307 william, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    It's not because Russell performed better over one race, that Bottas is hopeless.

Hopeless is the word I object too. It's a gross exageration in these circumstances.

If a driver with 17 poles, 17 fastest laps, 59 podiums and 9 GP wins is judged hopeless, what about 3/4 of the grid ?

gh0st0 and ktu like this.
  8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I have the highest regards for all the non paid F1 drivers they're the fastest 20 people on the planet of 7 billion let that sink in

9. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Don’t let the hyperbolic statements of others hurt your feelings.

18 of the remaining 19 drivers on the grid have not had the car Bottas has had since he joined Mercedes, so the question isn’t “how can he be hopeless based on his numbers?” The question is “why hasn’t he been able to at least put up a fight like Rosberg was able to?” If we can’t hope for him to at least do that, what better word to describe him that “hopeless?”

stavura, Picchu88, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    True, but then Toto wouldn't like that and Bottas wouldn't get a contract renewal IF he beats Lewis.

The 2nd driver of any Mercedes variant has a decision to make...Either play 2nd fiddle or BEAT the multi-WDC and get a title and then say bye-bye to Mercedes.

Nospinzone and william like this.
  11. DF1

George had 1 race. well done. He faces none of the pressure Bottas or LH face. He was fast on an non F1 standard almost oval where there was no real competition. He has a long way to go before others are labeled hopeless.

He recently wrecked Bottas out of a race with a very poor decision on a wet track and cost Mercedes significant resources. He also made a major apology about his poor decision. 2 times he has cost Williams, his actual team, points. Not well done.

WPOZZZ and ricksb like this.
  12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Although there were many shots to their own feet along the way, Ferrari was certain engaged in a battle with Merc in 2017 & 2018. The quintessential example of self-inflicted wounds was Vettel & Kimi crashing each other out when Seb was leading the WDC (Seb freaked out because Kimi had a better start than him)

william likes this.
  13. DF1

In a way that is a summary of Vettel and his reaction to pressure. He is a bit over reactive and not thinking in a longer/larger picture sense. Im sure had Kimi stayed ahead, pitwall engineers a swap rather quickly.

635CSI likes this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #314 william, May 10, 2021

3 possibilities:

- Bottas isn't at the same skill level as Hamilton; that still doesn't make him hopeless.
    - Bottas was probably signed as Number 2; he drives accordingly without challenging Hamilton too often.
    - The team race strategy is articulated around Number One Hamilton and Bottas is just an instrument.

Bottas has been able to beat Hamilton to pole 17 times, and all of his 9 wins were against him too, so his speed and racecraft are not be in question.

As others have said before, Bottas one-year contract would probably not have been renewed had he challenged Hamilton the way Rosberg did.

It's better to drive at Mercedes as number 2, than at Williams as Number One.

15. RobertJRB

RobertJRB Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    I agree they trust Hamilton to deliver. However
    I think we have a different view on skill.
    Simply driving a faster car and overtaking with drs isn’t my view on winning because of skill. Yes driving fast has to do with skill but I think half the field would had captured Max with the Mercedes. It is skill but no special skill.
    They trust Hamilton with it, but a Leclerc would have done the same.

Talking about Lec. They did trust Bottas to take back its place from Leclerc after his pit stop.

You mention earlier Hamilton holding of Verstappen on old tyres while Verstappen could not hold Hamilton off showing the quality of Hamilton. The main difference is the RB with DRS could only follow the Mercedes while the Mercedes is much faster. Max has to do it himself while Hamilton simply could drive past him with drs on the strait.

And yes I think Hamilton is a very fast driver with few mistakes. This in combination with the best car makes I think one of the best combinations ever in F1. Simply giving Hamilton all the credits however isn’t a realistic view on this I think.

stavura, Picchu88, jpalmito and 2 others like this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 completely agree.

Picchu88 and ingegnere like this.
  17. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Good points, i don't agree on Mercedes being much faster in Bahrain. RB had the upperhand there. I agree that you don't give Hamilton all the credit, the same with any past champion. My point was Lewis is making it easier for Mercedes to try different strategies, he is currently driving at a very high level.

RobertJRB and Terra like this.
  18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Does anyone else get the impression that the season is already over ? at least in terms of enjoyment ??

2019 in Hungary we got an epic fight that was exciting to the very end.
    While yesterday was essentially the same recipe, the results were already stale by the checker flag.

19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    It says that 3/4 of grid at the same level as Bottas, or better, didn’t have a car as dominant as the Merc. A car which, with a very good driver, is destroying all existing records.

If Bottas had stayed at Williams—where he did shine on occasion, when the Merc engine was still miles ahead of the competition—or moved to McLaren, Renault, Racing Point or Sauber, say, those numbers would all be down around ZERO.

jpalmito likes this.
  20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    « Tout est pour le mieux dans le meilleur des mondes ».

- A British driver is erasing most of the records held by a Ferrari driver.
    - A German team based in England is also erasing the previous records of the same Ferrari team.
    -The FIA that for many years has done everything to ensure that this situation continues or even increases.
    -Bottas well, which remains Bottas ..

21. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Chances are it’s a combination of all three.

You know what’s better than driving for Williams as a number one and driving for Mercedes as a complacent number two?

Actually mounting an effort against your teammate to be world champion. I’m not a Rosberg fan in the least, and don’t rate him highly, but at least he didn’t roll over. That’s why Bottas is hopeless, at least in that context. Contract be damned. If you’re an F1 driver, you drive to win. If you don’t win, than at least you tried.

fil likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #322 william, May 10, 2021
    The circumstances are different, and probably Toto Wolff learnt a lot from allowing 2 of his drivers fight each other.
    I presume he now only offers a watertight one year contract to any number 2 , to avoid a repeat of the destructive infighting in his team.
    That entertained the public, but the MB management that looks after their investment maybe wasn't so amused.
    This is also a World Constructors Championship.

Yes, Bottas could throw caution to the wind and go rogue, ignore teams instructions and challenge Hamilton on the track. That's not in the script.
    How long that would last before he would reap the consequences of his undiscipline is anyone's guess.
    The team would probably make him feel their discontent; you know: race strategy, longer pit stops, airgun that jams, not sharing data, that sort of things.
    Bottas would in all probability see any chance to renew his contract go up in smoke: Toto is not one to be fooled around!
    So, Bottas accepts reality and plays his role the best he can.
    Deep down, he probably knows he wouldn't win against Hamilton in the long run.
    "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

23. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    I think you meant to say "reap" here (rather than ripe).

william likes this.
  24. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    If he was the mercedes number one driver, then merc would probably have won one or two championships in the last four years, even with such a dominant car.

Yeah, he's a bridesmaid.

sammysaber, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are correct!