The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #26 Coincid, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Elitism, pomposity and snobbery are all traits that are undesirable.

Len Howell, Loxo, harrish1985 and 8 others like this.
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    A manual will not be in any C8, unfortunately. (like other mfg'ers) 3 pedals will not fit among other reasons.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I raced the C5Z for a quite a number of years. The C6Z did not overheat. The C7Z overheated but solved immediately in the aftermarket with a known set of coolers. If your C7 overheated you did it wrong. I'm a fan of vettes Gen 5+. It is more than bang for the buck it is that GM got all the compromises right for a car you can drive everyday and park right next to the cart return at the supermarket or leave in the airport when you take a trip and have your car still start because there is minimal parasitic drain. I agree with the OP the turbo ferrari era sounds like the F1 turbo hybrid era of blah cars. The lack of good sounds is a loss of some of the emotional appeal but at least Ferrari isn't pumping in fake engine noise like BMW. That is worse than the sound of battery powered whine.

VAF84 likes this.
  4. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    The Z06 will be a beast. If I could get one to throw around on track days, I would.

While there is no comparison to Ferrari, one has to give GM credit for building such a cool car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

VAF84, Coincid and jpalmito like this.
  5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I've got a deposit down on an early z06.

I think it will be hard to beat for under 4x the msrp

Loxo, Gorilla83, racerdj and 6 others like this.
  6. savannah

savannah Rookie

Jun 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Everett DeHut
    Have you seen the video with the new 812 Competizione at 9500 RPM?! All about opinion and personal taste. The new vette in my opinion is without passion. Looks like an origami project, claustrophobic, little sound, but a great budget ferrari. If you want american sound, nothing can match a mustang. Out tracks the vette if you can keep tires on it and the gas tank full. But the Camaro is better yet. Did a couple of runs with a friend in the Blue Ridge Mtns. switching between GT500 and Supra 6. Hands down Supra more fun. Mustang too big, not enough torque. Opinion and taste. In summary, manuals are overrated which is why no one buys them.
    Except for my 911 which I've had for 35 years. The mechanical sounds are incomparable. Red line it every time I drive it. Then there's exclusivity? I like not seeing my F12 on every corner. I like little kids yelling at me and older women telling me to "make some noise"! Then there's the passione! I always look forward to my three lunch hours a week with it. Alone. All about opinion and personal taste.

7. Sorry, my friend, you completely lost me when you compared the new 812 Comp to a (wait for it) Corvette? A car that costs something like 5x the Corvette? At that point it isn't so much about "opinion or personal taste" and more about "bank account and personal wealth" methinks.

As to tracking a Vette versus a Camaro Zl1 1LE, the latter is up by about 300 lbs on a similar Vette, so while the Vette might churn through tires (debatable), the Camaro eats through brakes like a termite in a wood factory.

Len Howell, Loxo and Drson like this.
  8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    BUt a good point is brought up cause also the new 992 GT3 sounds pretty awesome with a 4 liter NA 9000rpm flat 6 ... and I figure they need to meet the same standards as Ferrari does.. and i think Porsche built something like 10k 991.2 Gt3s..

Loxo and Bundy like this.
  9. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have had a Zo6 in C5, C6 and currently the C7 and can’t wait for the C8. Amazing cars…

Loxo and LARRYH like this.
  10. Topace

Topace Karting

Apr 2, 2021
    Omaha ne
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Sounds like a Kia with automatic transmission and a broken muffler. The shifting sounds like a mini van with a teen driving it. Must be the push rod v8 make what like 80HP per liter. What’s the 458 S make per liter 132hp.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Have you heard the C8 rev against a Laferrari? Why would anyone be caught dead buying a C8 instead of a Laferrari?!

Loxo, JJ, Mbutner and 2 others like this.
  12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    they both fill a void the other leaves.

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They have issues bit similar to other street cars. Brakes and cooling are the main issues.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Or any Ferrari.

15. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    Drove a 2021 convertible c51 Corvette today. A friends car.

I own a few cars , Huracan, aventador , Turbo S , 458.. etc.

I was very surprised at this car. My friend has a SF90 , SVJ roadster, Murci and about 15 other cars.

We both agree this thing is very badass. I pushed it hard and it really was an incredible car for this price.
    Have other friends with serious exotics and everybody loves this new Corvette.

I'm going looking for one very soon.

Loxo, brookliner7, JJ and 6 others like this.
  16. TheGaucho

TheGaucho Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    SergeFurRE
    Those of us who have paid a hefty premium for a car with a a Ferrari badge on it are not likely to be particularly objective about the virtues of the new Corvette. Perhaps what we really have to do is a thought experiment where we imagine for a moment that the C8 had a Ferrari badge on it,' so we take the "snob appeal" question out of the equation.

Then take into consideration that you could buy it for about a third of the price of 458/488/F8, that your insurance would be about a third, your sales tax would be about a third, your property tax would be about a third, your maintenance costs would be about a third, and you'd have your choice of hundreds of dealers to which you could take if for maintenance/repairs. If you were told it carried a Ferrari badge, would your opinion of the car remain unchanged?

Even if you're a Ferrari fan-boy, you should welcome GM's competition. It will hopefully make Ferrari up its game, just like the Acura NSX did a couple of decades ago.

Loxo, Rembrandt, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I’ve had a C8 convertible for about 6 months now. It’s not a Ferrari.
    It is the best Corvette ever made— and that’s a good thing.

Phil~, Loxo, Rembrandt and 9 others like this.
  18. No one is buying a C8 instead of a LaFerrari.

C'mon, let's put the straw man arguments aside. A C8 is not cross-shopped against a LaFerrari, or really any new mid engined Ferrari (488, F8, etc.)

Why can't we appreciate a car without feeling threatened by it?

ScrappyB, Wikdstrate and BJK like this.
  19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m agreeing with you. My post was in jest.

Loxo, ScrappyB, JJ and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I simply started this thread moaning about how incredible the Z06 sounds, it sounds more Ferrari than the mid engine 8 cylinder Ferrari of today. I would not try to compare the Vette to a Ferrari as they are simply in different niche categories, but, for the American car maker to build a flat crank 8 that sounds like a Ferrari is quite incredible. Yes the F8 is a far superior car, but it does not sound anything like this Z06. Ferrari is supposed to bring out emotions and feelings like no other brand and with Ferrari dealing with all these restrictions of Europe, the brand has lost much of its emotional stimulation. Weather we like to admit or not, these new turbo type era cars along with SF90 type of cars, simply do not have that spine tingling excitement that Ferrari was famous for.
    Just saying, very impressed of that Z06 scream, not saying I would replace my Ferrari, nothing really can.

Loxo, Bundy, ScrappyB and 2 others like this.
  21. Avi Das

Avi Das Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Savage458
    What a butthurt comment!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Loxo, Boomhauer, Boosted930 and 3 others like this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Will be interesting to see how long your ownership lasts after your “blink and you missed it” C7 experience.

We all go through different stages in our car lives, I no longer consider a Corvette a goal to aspire to. If I am in the market for a normal car that is fun to drive in that price range that I can park outside and take anywhere without caring about scratches or dings, I will consider it

Twosherpaz likes this.
  23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #48 TheMayor, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Well I had the C7 a year and about 6K miles. The Alfa 4c was a smart move IMO but it wasn't a long distance GT or daily driver. The C8 is.

My only real issue now is Chevy dealers -- but they couldn't be worse than Alfa dealers.

Seriously you cannot even dare to begin to compare a C7 to a C8. My C7 had paint so bad it looked like someone painted over a pizza. The 3LT interior looked like parts were made from elephant skin. In quality control and materials this car is already way above the past.

People should stop comparing the C8 to a Ferrari. It isn't. Its just a great mid engine sports GT. For me driving around town as my daily, that's good enough.

Loxo, x z8, Graz and 2 others like this.
  24. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Lol this is actually hilarious. That flat plane Z06 sounds the absolute business. As others have already established, it’s no Ferrari, but that’s not the point of this thread. The point is, Porsche (GT3), Lamborghini (Huracan), and now Chevy of all brands are still able to produce a competitor in the mid/rear-engine super car market that all sound distinctly more exotic (more “Ferrari” if you will) than Ferrari. I don’t mean this as an insult to anyone and I know the respective driving experiences with the hot-tube are still otherworldly, but the F8 and SF90 sound downright pathetic. The fact that a $650k Ferrari now sounds like a vacuum cleaner and a $150k Vette now sounds like an Italian orchestra shows just how backwards this world has become. Are they comparable? No. But is it ironic as hell? Yes. I find it to be downright hysterical. Fortunately, aftermarket solutions do exist.

LARRYH, Loxo, Bundy and 7 others like this.
  25. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Exactly my point, very well said, that is the point of why I started this thread.