Autel Reading Error | FerrariChat

Autel Reading Error

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ColGraves, May 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ColGraves

ColGraves Karting

Aug 1, 2017
    Cos Cob, CT
    Full Name:
    C.T. Graves
    Both an Autel DS808 and Autel AP200 can read ODBII output but can not run Ferrari diagnostics (have up to date Ferrari set for both). It runs for several minutes through all five sets (ECUs and ABS), then returns with the below error. If I run outside of the Ferrari module in the standard ODBII diagnostics, it can read codes (but not interpret) and reset them. I have added the extra ground pin on the ODBII per Ferrari Service Bulletin FNA-22-A, but no change. VCI icon is green on the Autel. Anyone else experience this, or have ideas? A friend with a 360 can get the AP200 to diagnose in the Ferrari module.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Motronic version?

3. ColGraves

ColGraves Karting

Aug 1, 2017
    Cos Cob, CT
    Full Name:
    C.T. Graves
    Brian, it is a 1999 550 (Nov 98 manufacture).

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm not Brian, Rifledriver is Brian.

I believe your scanner's lack of ability to communicate with Ferrari diagnostics of Motronic 5.2 and earlier, which your 99 is, is due to Ferrari's use of their proprietary diagnostic system i.e. SD 1/2/3 etc. and the fact that due to "Limited Production" status prior to 2000 Ferrari was not required to provide OBDII diagnostic information other than emission related codes which start with P0, as in P0123.

5. ColGraves

ColGraves Karting

Aug 1, 2017
    Cos Cob, CT
    Full Name:
    C.T. Graves
    Crap, Dave, sorry about that! Could have been worse, brother! Brian’s good company. Been following both of you some time and loose track of which “driver” it is!

Interesting. So post 2000’s can be read then, but not pre-2000’s? Never knew that. Always thought I had a different issue. Is there a way to upgrade the ECU? This 550 is a “forever” car for me, and diagnosing is a ***** right now. It’s not just codes either; would like other measures from the ECU to track issues down.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Does the ap200 at least give you data streams from the associated sensor..that to me is key.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Get friendly with a shop that has an SD1/2/3, as far as I know that's the only way to properly diagnose a 550.

Island Guy and ColGraves like this.
  8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My Actron scanner reads data streams from both ECU's and they are accurate, I suspect the Autel does as well.

For example I can see in real time when the Secondary stops and the fuel system changes from open loop to closed loop. It says 90 something but it's reading both ECU's

I think there are something like 45 data streams that I can monitor in real time, it's just the code definitions that you cannot trust to be accurate.

flash32 likes this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    It is Motronic 5.2, not the production year of the 550 that determines what can be read. For the 5.2 Motronic Ferraris, you can read the emissions related codes like Dave said, but most of the rest of the ECUs used serial connectors, with which the SD1, SD2, and SD3 came equipped. OBDII was required on US cars after 1 January 1996. Ferrari initially did not make their OBDII connector compatible with anything except factory diagnostic equipment. EPA jumped on them very quickly about that and it resulted in the tech bulletin you referenced. Hard to believe yours did not already have a compliant connector already since it really was only a problem on early US 5.2 456s and 550s. Not sure when Europe jumped on the OBDII bandwagon, which they eventually did.

10. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Europe versions of the 550 have the 3 pin connectors next to the motronics, and my Autel 519 can read the 1998 motronics with an 3 to OBDII adapter and a 12v connection.
    But only motronic info, such as live O2 data, MAF values and rpm.
    I do not think a 16 pin direct OBDII would give more info than this.

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    My Autel MaxiSys Elite won't connect to the 2001 550 I have in the shop. If I try as "generic OBD2", I get a message that it identifies it as a Ferrari, it reads the codes and gives some live data.