Testarossa VS Testarossa 512 TR | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testarossa VS Testarossa 512 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by oo7ml, Apr 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. concoursmike

concoursmike Rookie

Oct 9, 2010
    I had a 1986 Testarossa with the single mirror and the single-center wheel nut. I had the car for more than 10 years, sold it in 2010.

I tracked the car with the club and also won a Coppa Bella Machina with it. Competed in the Coppa Bella Machina GT as well. I spent a LOT of time getting to know the car. Unfortunately, my track skills were just a bit shy of the bar. For me, heel-toeing that big engine, very fast and heavy car brought a few thrilling "moments", luckily no harm, but still!

A couple of things to consider:
    • Regarding TR vs 512 I would also point out that some early years have the regular 3 point belt, the middle years have the god awful mouse track belt and the later years and TR have airbags. Personally, I would never buy one with the mousetrap device.
    • The brakes on the TR's are really not good enough for even 9/10ths track days at the Glen. If you ever want to experience what the car can do, I'd recommend the 512 is the way to go!
    • As a Ferrari luxury cruiser with some spirited driving mixed in the performance difference between models isn't going to matter.
    • If your considering buying or replacing your car - I looked at a lot of cars before I bought mine. A LOT were moded. The car is/was such an icon, a lot of put huge speakers, lights, alarms, exhaust and other customizations on them. Be careful when looking for a replacement. The electrical systems use very old-style relays so I just totally avoided mods involving electronics. I'm not judging anyone. They did whatever they wanted and that's fine - just not for me.
    • Even for my car, the prior owner had removed the cats and replaced them with straight pipes. He gave me the cats when I bought the car, so it was pretty easy getting back to Concours level originality.

vincenzo and Douglas52 like this.
  2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    EXACTLY THAT Ross, the factory upgraded over 120 parts of the car.
    One very important things which was upgraded are the new brakes.

LVP488 likes this.
  3. Douglas52

Douglas52 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    I've had the privilege of driving both, and IMO, the biggest difference is that the Testarossa is more "base", I felt the road more, the steering was a little more "visceral", the drive was rougher (more sporty), I could feel the bumps, stones, pavement strips more. The TR was an upgraded drive, more smooth, not as rough or bumpy. in the end, I preferred the Testarossa's "road feeling" drive. I would compare them to the difference between the feel and drive of a 328 to a 348 (both great drives the 328 more base, more road feel and the 348 a more comfortable "luxurious" drive). again, that's just my opinion.

Rensen and Melvok like this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The brakes on the original TR are hopeless due to the small 16" wheels.
    They can be noticeably improved though, by adding cooling ducts and replacing the braking lines with Goodridge steel ones my '87 TR became almost able to slow down.

Melvok likes this.
  5. Bob Sullivan

Bob Sullivan Karting

Aug 18, 2005
    Great Falls, VA
    Full Name:
    Dr. R. A. Sullivan
    I have had a ’85 TR (bought new) and still have a ’93 512TR which I have driven 65K plus miles. Both cars are wonderful but the 512 is simply ‘better.’ Nicer styling cues to boot. Both cars are ‘heavy’ to be sure but the 512TR is more refined (for lack of a better word). Better seats, better A/C, better steering, brakes seem better. You don’t see much differences on the street but on the track the 512TR is improved in every way.

Melvok likes this.
  6. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Just a IMHO note; the 512 version has some very obvious cost savings in the bodywork; most notably the rear deck has a cheap plastic look rather than the detailed metal assembly of the TR. The rest are minor but there is you look closely.

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Just add 512 wheels and solve several issues so you can put Brembos on it. I think anyone will agree that the 512 is a better car and my top choice but a TR is pretty dang cool and I personally love them.
    Center console looks like it came out of a pinto but still is ok.

Melvok likes this.
  8. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Hey Ron,
    Did you only have the fit issue with the 512 and not the Testarossa? I'm similar size and trying to decide between the two.

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I fit fine in the Testarossa. In the 512 TR my right knee hit the center console

TJsBeer likes this.
  10. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Just an observer to this conversation.

The 1986* -1991 Ferrari Testarossa is my all time favorite car.

I couldn't warm up to the visual changes of the 512. Particularly the lower rocker panels in body color. This made the cars look chunky, with the exception of nero cars.

Joe

*1985 and early 1986 Testarossa's used metric tires with 15" alloy wheels.

Rensen and Jonkheer like this.
  11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    IMHO .. contrary to some of the above posts

If you put price aside and don't want the monospec or knock wheels I can't see how you can choose a TR over a 512Tr .. i have a 512TR and one of my family members had a TR.. drove both ..the 512tr is a all around better car .. at least when I judge it .. mechanically, aesthetically, tech etc

Again IMHO

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The original design is well done. Can't say the same for the 512TR. The front bumper is foreign to the rest of the car. The interior gauges are perfect in the Testarossa. The font in the 512TR looks like a placeholder. I wouldn't want the 512TR for mechanical improvements. I love the 80's icon for what it is. I don't want an 80's icon with plastic surgery.

Rensen, jjmalez, fridolin_pt and 3 others like this.