355 - How to adjust headlight aim? | FerrariChat

355 How to adjust headlight aim?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Targatime, May 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I can't find any info on this. My low beams are aimed sky-high (the light makes no contact with the road) while my high beams seem aimed low, although not nearly as out of adjustment as the low's. Can the low beam projectors be adjusted independent of the high beams? Looking at the headlights I can see what appear to be adjusters -- one on the bottom, two on top, with what look like 4 or 5mm allen screws (although one of the top ones seems inaccessible with the headlights in the car). Are those in fact adjusters? Thanks for any guidance.

I ran an errand in the car last night, first time driving it at night, and the low beams literally illuminate the trees. Bizarre.

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Ok, so after I posted this I looked in my owner's manual and sure enough it shows headlight beam adjustment. My bad. Thing I can't understand is how to adjust high and low independently....sure seems right now that if I set low beams correctly the high beams are going to be way, way too low. I'm getting a sense that the weird adjustment I have now is because the PO installed HID's or something, and mucked up the alignment, or the low beam projector...or something like that. On my 993 the high and low beams can't be adjusted independently, but if you install aftermarket low beam projectors, it can create similar problems to what I'm seeing on my 355.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Your high and low beams don't adjust independently - You adjust the the low beam beam setting until it is correct, and your high beams should be set correctly at the same time.

The 355 headlights were never designed to run HID bulbs - It sounds as though the previous owner fitted some cheap a$$ rubbish HID's, that simply scatter the light all over the place, rather than even try to replicate the original halogen beam pattern.

You either need to find a better set of HID's, that replicate the halogen beam pattern better, or revert the car back to Halogen headlights, and set them correctly.

(Have to say that with my 348 [same headlights as the 355], I never really had any problems with the standard headlights, and their light output. The 328 that's now replaced the 348 on the other hand, needs all the help it can get! )