812c steer by wire? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

812c steer by wire?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by JTSE30, May 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Ah, maybe this is the actual clarification, there is no 'independent, four-wheel steering' steering at all as Ferrari proclaims here:
    https://corporate.ferrari.com/en/812-competizione-and-812-competizione-two-interpretations-ferraris-racing-soul

Instead:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/ferrari/812-competizione/

* independent rear-wheel steering

The first of many is independent rear-wheel steering: each of the rear wheels has actuators that can be activated individually, rather than in unison – Ferrari says that allows the 812 Competizione to react much quicker to changes of direction while remaining stable under hard, tight cornering manoeuvres.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The rear wheels have no mechanical connection to the steering wheel in any kind of rear wheel steer system.

That's what I have been saying all along. Ferrari's press release was just grammatically erroneous. It should have read something like this: "The 4WS system steers the rear wheels independently."

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you for the clarification.

REALZEUS likes this.
  4. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    The front wheels are still controlled by a classic rack and pinion system, but with electric assistance (as per the 812SF). there is no adjustable angle between the 2 front wheels. The front wheels are still mechanically connected to the steering wheel.
    The back wheels are controlled independently from each other, via electric motors. The ECU decides which angle should each of the rear wheel take. That means they can differ between left and right, and they will also differ depending on the situation. ie a 20 deg angle on the front wheels will not always give the same angle on the rear wheels. And indeed, there is no mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the rear wheels (neither is there on the F12 TDF, 812SF or GTC4Lusso).

TopspeedPT and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Right, and was there any such, “OMG the sky is falling” worry when these cars were announced? My point is simply- lets wait to pass judgement.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

350MH83 likes this.
  6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry I enclose a copy of the 2019 Ferrari's US patent application for a steering system by wire. Is the 812 C equipped with some thing similar to this one ?

Attached Files:

7. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't know. I think you have to have a physical connection and this doesn't appear to feature such.