Ghibli (AM115) modifications to improve performance and drivability | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ghibli (AM115) modifications to improve performance and drivability

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by -K1-, May 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Bob, I had an LP400 for almost 3 years and did 34,000 km in it! Loved every mile! I had difficulties first to live with that "long" gearbox but gearchange was great when used double-declutching! Driving a Bora was travelling...driving a Countach was an adventure!

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well you treated the clutch/gearbox a lot better than so many did during those years. My driving trips in the Bora were typically adventurous too because that's how we planned them.
    When I visited my friend in Kansas City he would take hist CT out on service calls. He maintained a large radio network there for Sprint at the time. He took if a bit off road which shocked me since it was black but what he really loved was to go visit the Audi dealer where he had a many months long ongoing warranty dispute over his big Audi sedan because every time he did that the entire shop would come out to see, listen and talk about the CT with the being that dealership began losing money! LOL But it was his Bora 992 that we took open road racing in Nevada and not the CT. That turned out to be a tragic day. The Barteski Ferrari TR fatality. :( He also had a Renault R5 turbo and RHD Mistral spider that he "restored" in early 1990's. Not a top quality job. He had a lot of other cars, some Maseratis over the years. An airplane nut as well. A real fun guy.

3. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Hi fellas I appreciate all the comments. I really do. I get the a Khamsin drives better in some ways but takes me back to my university days when my then girlfriend now wife has a DS Citroen to my Fiat 124 Sport (BC). Her car had a nice ride but I didn’t like the brakes very much.
    Khamsin is nice looking in EU trim but doesn’t tug on the heart like the Ghibli does. My problem is that I like a reasonable ride on cars and a harsh one isn’t really my thing. I was kind of hoping that the Ghibli would ride ok being a luxury biased GT car. Am I right or wrong here? Would modern springs and shocks make a difference? I noticed that Alfaholics said that in order to get a live axel to ride and handle you need to take unsprung weight out.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  4. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ivan I agree with you in the modifications.

5. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Marc that is super kind and generous of you. It opened my eyes to the Khamsin, which I agree is lovely looking but not as striking as the Ghibli. I’ll need to have a think and your offer is very kind. I’m actually heading to my U.K. home for the summer but might be around still.
    I think all the older cars do well with power steering, ignition and a few modern touches like modern pads, shocks and springs. Can I ask what got after you sold your lovely gold Khamsin?

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Ken traveling without my computer, will answer tomorrow evening, hate typing on phones.
    I no longer have a Khamsin on Michelin's but am having a great weekend with my Khamsin on Louboutins:)
    Greetings from Geneva,

Marc

Image Unavailable, Please Login

-K1- likes this.
  7. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    ...au contraire---never ever did I think that I could fall in love w/a car that would challenge my 34 year love affair w/my '72 Euro Bora. Let alone all else that I appreciate so much!
    To cut to the chase: Drive a happy K and park it in front of a decent cafe and look at her for a couple of hours!

I did.
    Immediately bought a K.

-K1- and Nembo1777 like this.
  8. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Love it. I’m interested in the Ghibli ride quality. I don’t care so much if it’s not as fast along the road if the feel is good and the car is enjoyable. A nice ride helps the later a great deal.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Why don't you get involved with a local Maserati club and join. Go to some events. Ask some questions. Promote a ride/drive after a while.

wbaeumer likes this.
  10. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    August 1st: Maserati Meeting in Frankfurt. That is a good opportunity to see them all.

11. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Crap. I lived in FF for years and never to one. Now I tend to avoid it. Unfortunately will miss it as in the U.K. for summer.

12. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Did I talk about living in FFM?
    No.
    I mentioned an interesting event.
    Would I consider living in London?
    Never.
    But there too some events can be worth visiting.

wbaeumer likes this.
  13. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ah shame I will miss it, I did have fond memories of classic car events in FF, my club used to run a good one every year. I mean I never went to a classic Maserati event there but did enjoy the Klassikstadt.

14. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
  15. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    After this video you are concerned about the ride quality? You want one, then you have to live with it. Try a new Audi with sport suspension, it is horrible if you ask me. These old cars use the tires as suspension, that is giving a nice ride. Just get the correct tires on your new Ghibli, not like in the video wich are too wide. On a serious note about ride quality. I have an early de-dion Qp and a Mistral with the same live rear axel as the Ghibli. Huge difference in ride quality when the road is bumpy. If it is flat, no problem. But the de-Dion sucks up all imperfections just like that, the Mistral, not so much. The comparison what Alfaholics do with the Alfas is not correct since Alfas have coil springs and the Ghibli leaf springs.

71Satisfaction, -K1- and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes I agree.

Just look at the photo below (from the website of the Norsk Maserati Klubb), nice photo to compare (and enjoy).

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  17. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #42 71Satisfaction, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    K1 - Wow, that a thread...

I'm 100% on board with your choice of the Ghibli.. it's an absolute icon of styling, and you have your heart set on it, so that's final. There are PLENTY of old used up derelict Ghiblis to start from.. don't start with a "fresh" Ghibli when they are very costly. You'll be opening up and modifying nearly everything anyway.

OK, but set aside the theory for now.

1.) DRIVE.
    The first thing to do is to find a vintage Ghibli and drive it. Not the SSS, but a Ghibli that will give you the experience of an original.. THEN you will have some real information on which to base your plans. Stop in at Gallery Aaldering in the NL on your way to the UK, they have really well sorted originals available. (If you are curious, you might as well drive a Bora and Khamsin too, while you are there). I'm sure there are many other Ghiblis for sale all over Europe. I think you might be impressed by it compared to your 550.. Maserati's chief engineer Alfieri was a master at his craft and I have not driven a '70s vintage Maserati that didn't impress me how modern and comfortable it is. As you note, Maserati designed with a different ethos than Ferrari. Much more GT than the detuned racecars Ferrari offered. My personal comparison is between our DB9 and our Bora. The DB9 makes the Bora an absolute sensation for being 40 years older. Our Khamsin isn't fully sorted so can't compare yet.

2.) WORKSHOP.
    The second thing you ought to do is call and talk to the Maserati or custom/vintage/exotic/racecar workshop that will do the work for you. Do you have a shop in mind? ..then start talking to them. If you have no idea who is going to do the work, then you best get started, because the choice will be very important. Since you are spending the summer in the UK, go visit and talk with the guys at McGrath Maserati, one of the most capable Maserati shops today - I'm sure Marc/Nembo1777 can suggest others. It would be an advantage to speak the shop's language - Norsk, English, Deutsch, Italiano - jeg kan nesten vedde du snakker alle de språka.

3.) AGENDA:
    Items to discuss with your Maserati build team..
    - What to modify on the 4.9 for more power, and where on the tach you want it: The basics are compression, cam, and carburetor jetting (or a new intake manifold for programmable EFI for easy tuning). Maybe some light porting, maybe fabricate longer intake runners for torque, but beyond the basics its gets exotic and costly. I don't think the steel cylinder sleeves can be bored out, so custom sleeves and block work = $$$.
    - The rear differential can be built with higher gearing, or machined $$$.
    - I bet the ZF transmission ratios can be modified too for $$$..
    - Cooling: Modern radiator core, shrouded airflow with new fans and higher capacity alternator.
    - Springs, shocks, and swaybars - Shocks are easy and cheap to experiment, but the components are all a package chosen by talented engineers, so proceed thoughtfully with a skilled shop.
    - Brakes - easy. Custom brackets for whatever calipers, discs and pads you want to fit behind the rims. Fit the right MC and proportioning valve, adjust and done. Expertise is required.
    - The chassis can be stiffened to handle the new higher dynamic forces.. especially starting with a stripped derelict, your shop can gusset the chassis.
    - Lighten the car with modern AC compressor, use modern insulation, change power windows, selectively lighten the sheetmetal, etc..
    - Rims and tires.. that's territory we all have discussed here over the years.. and it's been hard to beat the original specs except with fresh tires because the original sidewall size is an integral part of the suspension springs and dampening.
    - Electric power steering?

That's a start -

SUGGESTION:
    - Go buy yourself a lovely, sorted, original Ghibli 4.9 and drive it for a year. Get to know the car, the engine, its positives and negatives, plus some good Maserati workshops. After a year, if you still want the modifications...
    - Then sell it and buy a derelict Ghibli from Gullwing or Beverly Hills Car Club, or the European equivalent, develop a mutually trusting relationship with a workshop and have fun throwing money at it until you get it where you want it.

..and share lots of progress photos here.

Does my career in Architectural and Construction Management show? :D
    Hjertelig,
    - Art

..lighter weight:
    1588792770108-screenshot_2020-05-06kkkarmannkonnectionporscheinstagramphotosandvideos1.jpg

-K1- likes this.
  18. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    You mean like "this" Ghibli? I agree wholeheartedly ;)

-K1- likes this.