Transmission pan gasket | FerrariChat

Transmission pan gasket

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Theruse, Apr 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    I have not been able to source the correct pan gasket for the transmission. for my 400A. The filter is not a problem. I have already seen 4 different gasket profiles. I was surprised because I thought the TH400 case was pretty similar across the years. We tried different Chevy and GM trucks as they did not list the Ferrari 400. Does anyone have a good source for the gasket or the correct cross reference with a GM vehicle?

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Summit Racing has everything you need! The TH400 gaskets are all the same profile. Get a "composite" gasket, not paper and not rubber.
    Are you experiencing leakage? I changed gaskets 5-10 times, I changed bolts, I switched to an aluminum pan. (Steel pans deform at bolt holes.) With all of this I still had the same leakage! I was at an exhaust shop getting a leak welded on my exhaust and the tech says you have a leak at the o-ring on the switch on left side of tranny. He said only way to change it was to drop the pan as it is secured from the inside. Again I went to Summit Racing and bought a switch with o-ring to be sure it all worked together; I think it cost $14. Once changed I have not lost a drop of ATF since! If you are changing gasket, change the o-ring too and you will be done with it for years!
    Ken

3. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    I have the aluminum pan which has a drainage plug. When I went to Carquest they had four different gasket and filter sets for the TH400. I made a template of the gasket from the original steel version. I left a template at NAPA and later today they called me back and said they had a match. Picked it up and a perfect match. For reference the NAPA part number for the pan gasket is 1-4439.

4. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    What material is the NAPA gasket? I'll be curious if you still see leakage after with the new gasket. NAPA can sell you the o-ring and it only takes 5 minutes to change it.
    Ken

5. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    The NAPA gasket is rubber. Do you mean the electrical connector at the left rear of the transmission close to the oil pan? Not been able to trace the small leakage. It is not the pan. I put a boroscope up near the dipstick, but that was not it either. So I will order the o-ring and see if that resolves the problem. On the right side of the transmission, while I am at it, I will replace the modulator.

6. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Yes, o-ring is on the electrical connector on left side. I had that leak for 10 years before I was told about the o-ring! Remember to keep pan off until change o-ring; the switch is held in on inside.
    Rubber gasket is not best choice according to all the GM folks. A local transmission shop can sell you a composite gasket.
    Ken

7. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    Great advice. Will let you know the outcome.

8. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    I spent hours driving around various car part places to get the right gasket, filter and O-rings. I wanted a duraprene gasket. No luck. So I was driving and I remembered Ken's comment to stop at a transmission shop. Just ahead of all places was an AAMCO shop. I told the guy I was looking for a TH400 pan gasket. He then said, "I will only sell you a duraprene gasket, all the others are not worth it and while you are at it, you should replace the o-ring for the electrical connection, the modulator and the dipstick". I then knew he was my "go to guy". Could recite rhyme and verse on every variant of the TH400. Even offered to lend me his tool for the extraction of another metal type o-ring. Will drop the pan tomorrow and see how the fluid is and if the filter is clogged.

And the best part of meeting him. He sold me the gasket, all the o-rings and charged me $5!

9. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Jackpot! Let me know how difficult it is to change the dip stick o-ring. I have no leakage but that item seems in a difficult location.
    Ken

10. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Can you provide the Summit part number for the switch and o-ring? It would be much appreciated.
    Al
    1984 400iA SN50605

11. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Al, I checked my records and could not find a part #. I went on Summit Racing site and did not find any of the connectors. I can tell you this, some TH400's have tw0-wire connector and ours have one wire connector. I bought a 2-wire piece so I just had to be sure I connected the outside and inside wire to the same connector. This part has only one function get wire from dry side to wet side without leaking fluid.
    There is one for sale on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/302534316338

12. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks. Hopefully now I can stop wiping up transmission fluid from the garage floor!

Al

13. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    Since you will need to remove the pan to release the electrical connector, you may also want to replace the filter. Inexpensive. The filter is connected to a plastic tube that fits up into the tranny. Pull that plastic part down and you will see one 0-ring. When replacing add a second o-ring as this tube sometimes loosens and not as much fluid is picked up by the filter. The o-rings fit over the tube and not into a groove in the casing, so adding a second o-ring is not an issue.

14. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Al, I have no more tranny fluid on garage floor, now just motor oil!
    Ken

15. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    For me that would be great because it's leaking very little motor oil as compared to the tranny fluid. After this fix I need to replace the leaking rear main seal in the 351W in my street rod. Then I could stop mopping up fluids from the garage floor! :)

Al