The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada

I just saw this new video of the C8 Z06 Corvette, its a 5.5L flat crank 8 cylinder. It sounds incredible. Why is Chevrolet building an 8 cylinder that sounds more like Ferrari than the new generation Ferrari V8. I am not posting this to ruffle any F8 owners, but can someone explain why this C8 Z06 can have a naturally aspirated 8 to achieve somewhere in the vicinity of 650bhp and Ferrari has to resort to turbo V8?
    This video shows a bunch of launch control starts and it is mind boggling how incredible this car sounds. It sounds very close to a 458.

catdog, Loxo, Sargepug and 11 others like this.
  2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    If you aren’t trying to “ruffle any F8 owners” try posting in another forum. Enjoy the Corvette. Nice bang for the buck unless you actually want to go more than three laps on a track. Then it overheats, like the C6, like the C7. I put extra oil coolers and it lasted six laps. You get what you pay for.

You should know full well that European emissions standards are why Ferrari has had to go to turbo and now hybrid and later full electric.

manya81, maximilien, buhareb and 12 others like this.
  3. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Ok, what forum is that, I will gladly ask a moderator to do that, but since I was comparing the sound of this new Corvette to a 458 naturally aspirated v8, that's why I chose this forum. Secondly, never said I wanted to buy the car or am I lusting after the American car, I am merely complaining why the new generation Ferraris cannot sound like the old generation Ferraris and that Chevrolet decided to grab this and run with it.

kissmyaxe, catdog, Loxo and 10 others like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Euro emissions is far stricter than USA. The European market for Corvette is practically non-existent. If the Corvette was banned from Europe today GM wouldn't even notice it.

I liked corvettes but the C8 is very...it just looks like a kitcar to me. I'd prefer the C7...

Wazmo, manya81, Avia11 and 5 others like this.
  5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I think because Chevy gets to offset a few hundred raw NA V8 flagship cars with thousands of other cars in their fleet fuel economy and emissions numbers? It would be nice if Ferrari got to pool with Fiat or simply bought carbon offsets but I don’t know how these things really work

Bundy, Caeruleus11 and Napoli like this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    The C8 can be tracked Ive seen them at Sebring with zero issues . This C8 Zox mule sounds great. The C8 Z0X is going to be a monster.

Boomhauer, Schaef, nmcclure and 7 others like this.
  7. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The ZO6 will be extremely hard to get. Just look at all the people just waiting for an allocation of the standard C-8.

nmcclure likes this.
  8. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    A Corvette will still just be a Corvette, no matter what they put in it and how they make it sound.

Too bad they have to copy Ferrari on looks and sound.

9. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Too bad for whom?

They've been benchmarking it against the 458 for a while now because in their estimation it's the one to copy, that's the ultimate flattery to Ferrari and the 458.

Graz, Loxo, Vertix and 7 others like this.
  10. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David

Too bad they can't stay "Original" to the Corvette instead of wanting look and sound like another brand.

I just can't get into them. I'm sure they're great cars but just more of a fan of the original Corvette look / sound (For those that want a corvette).

I've considered buying an older C5 or C6 as a spare / track car lately, but just not a fan of the new design.

11. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    back to the sound...epic. Thanks for posting.

kissmyaxe, JJ, carguyjohn350 and 9 others like this.
  12. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    What's really too bad is that Ferrari, for reasons beyond their control, can't stay true to their own sound. Now that's something to bemoan, not that another maker can.

I'm glad there are still manufacturers out there leaning into NA engines that sound like they mean it, for one day soon those will be gone too.

Loxo, Boomhauer, Mbutner and 3 others like this.
  13. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    Last weekend I was on a parking with my suv and heard something behind but due to the difference in height, apart from the red color, I couldn’t see clearly what car was right there, then as apparently I was annoying the guy , he blasted the gas in neutral. I thought… hmm sounds too good to be a 488… when the guy managed to overtake me I fell wordless… the new Corvette.

WTF!!!

Loxo, Rembrandt, JJ and 4 others like this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    New C8 is incredible. Cost me $94k I can’t see any competition under $200k.

Z06 will be $150k fully loaded I wouldn’t be surprised if they hit $300k secondary.

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    The C8 Z06 is not going to be a 'monster'. Only a 625? hp na v8. In fact, the coming all-electric 'E-Ray' will be faster. (tho not on track)
    The 'monsters' will be the future ZR1 (825? hp, tt V8) and the Zora (1,000+hp, awd, tt v8 with front electric motors) Quite the line-up to look forward to. :cool: :D

Corvette C8 and Z06 threads here, under 'American Muscle': https://ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/c8-z06.623509/page-6 :)

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yeah I seen many c7 tracks no issues.
    I’m laughing reading u get what u paid for: my 355, Old Testarossa or worse my ff are just terribly made. The vette isn’t that worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loxo, brookliner7 and Mbutner like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ah, so that's why GM had a 458 - to copy off of.

The F8 is a blisteringly fast, beautiful, and exquisite exotic.

The C8 is a Chebby with all its charm and charisma. Who cares.

If I wanted an old 458, I'd buy an old 458 - not a knock-off built in Kentucky by Bubba and uncle Merle at the Chebby plant.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ale55andr0 likes this.
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Uninformed comment. I’ve driven both F8 and C8 a decent amount. With an extra 150 hp there’s not a chance I wouldn’t take a C8. That’s what the Z06 will have.

Schaef, Loxo, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  19. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    First of all, anyone knows that a mid-engine car handles better than a front engine car. Why make the switch? Because GM reached their limitations with the platform, and yes, to attract more buyers since the C8 is much flashier. I respect their commitment to make such a leap, instead of sticking to the same old routine. I don't think the C8 should be compared to any Ferrari. Apples to oranges. But to dismiss the C8 as a "wanna be", I think is a foolish way to look at things. The C8's platform potential is tremendous, and allows those with less spending power to get into something that looks and feels far more exotic. If those people want to make pie in the sky claims that they've got a supercar killer, then so be it...But I don't think the Corvette deserves to be slagged off, it should be judged in the league of sports. That being said, when track times of the Z06 are published then we can reevaluate it's positioning.

20. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David

Do you work for Chevy?? lol

I'm clear on their reasons to move to try and keep up with the others by moving the engine to mid. I just wished they'd have done it in a way that stayed true to the shape / design and history of the Vette.

It simply looks / sounds too much like a Ferrari for my taste.

Just my opinion... But I'm likely never gonna be a buyer (of a C8 or above), but will consider a C5 - C7 manual as a spare "fun" car / track toy someday.

21. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #22 Coincid, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
    GM must be lauded for creating the C8. It offers an attractive package with performance to match at the price of a full carbon fiber package on a F8. Comparing it to a $350K super car from Ferrari is non sensical. However, the laws of diminishing returns dictates that an F8 will not be 400% superior to the C8. For car enthusiasts who cannot or will not spend mega bucks on a sports car, the Corvette fills a highly satisfying niche.

For those who denigrate the Corvette with condescending and elitist insults, simply reveal their snobbery and pomposity.

Len Howell, L82brake, Schaef and 24 others like this.
  23. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    We have an annual car show in our community each year. Last year just before COVID shut everything down we had a brand new C8 on show. Besides my 488 we had many exotics but the C8 was the star. I’m sure it being new was one of the reasons but it really is an amazing car considering it’s price (his was a little over $80K).
    One of the guys that owns a F12 stated if he was in the market for a mid engine exotic it would be difficult to pay 4X more for one when the C8 is as nice as the one at the show.
    I agree the 458 and C8 are not equals but you have to give it up to GM on what they accomplished. It will be interesting to see how the car holds up mechanically.

Len Howell, Graz, Loxo and 3 others like this.
  24. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    The main overheat issues was with the Z06 with a supercharged engine. These would go into limp mode. The LS7 engine on the C6 Z06 was 7L of naturally aspirated goodness and with some minor valvetrain mods, bulletproof on track. As for the interior, you strip that out when you put a full cage in anyway:p. I love my Ferrari but I also love my Z06 fully prepped track car. Granted it is not really a factory stock car (Brembo racing brakes, Penske shocks, etc..) but GT3's cower from it and a blue flag with red stripe is the most common flag it sees on track, not a meatball;).

I for one love that they are working on a high revving, flat plane crank V8 as I was when Ford did it with the GT350. Hoping they put a manual into it too. There is room in this world for all sizes and shapes of cool cars. No, it will absolutely NOT be a Ferrari replacement but might be a fantastic car for beating up on the street or track.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Loxo, Bundy, Thecadster and 3 others like this.
  25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Right. If the reason someone won't give a car a chance is because they view the brand or model as "below them" then I'm not interested in a debate with such a person. C8 is objectively very good. At it's price, great! I own cars at different price points because I like them. I don't care if the car is a Ferrari, Chevy, Mclaren, Porsche etc.

Len Howell, Loxo, Rembrandt and 9 others like this.