488 - How does everyone like their Pista? Is it a keeper? | FerrariChat

488 How does everyone like their Pista? Is it a keeper?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, May 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So I have previously discussed my inability to secure a Pista allocation when the car was first launched. Of course, I could have jumped through a couple flaming hoops (Lusso, Portofino), but chose not to. I wanted to buy one in the same fashion that I bought my 812. Well fast forward to present day, the new offerings by the manufacturers (SF90, LB, Artura) simply do not interest me. Instead, I want to gather up the best of the last ICE vehicles while they are still available.

I have a Performante currently, and a STO allocation (if I can ever get around to deciding on my final spec...). At first I thought maybe I might keep the Performante. I love it. I have had it since new, and I took delivery in Nov 2017. However, I am beginning to wonder if it overlaps too much with the STO.

Perhaps, I might be better putting the Performante towards a Pista? Or perhaps a GT2 RS? Both those cars seem to fill a couple holes in my current collection.

Currently, my garage consists of the Performante, a 812, a 765LT, a 2005 Ford GT, and a 2017 Viper ACR. I will have an STO at some point. Of course, I could cancel the STO, save the price difference between it and the Performante, and then grab a different car altogether. Ultimately, I am almost done buying cars. I am just a couple cars away from having all the bases covered (at least for me).

How does everyone like their Pista? Do you see it being part of your permanent collection? Any feedback that you might give me would be appreciated.

Lastly, it’s worth mentioning that while I absolutely love the raw performance of the 765LT, that category is the one I care about the least. The Ford GT is pretty much slow by modern standards (11ish 0-124mph versus sub-7 for the 765LT) and I absolutely love driving it. Something about driving a slow car fast, rather than a fast car slow... That said, I know the Pista is not the burner the 765LT is, nor does it have the crazy NA V12 like the 812, but, to me, it’s the best looking modern Ferrari. I find the design to be absolutely spectacular, and that is what keeps pulling me towards it.

2. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The Pista is my third Fcar among other brands. I was enamored with the car from the time of the reveal. I think Ferrari hit a home run with the design. It would certainly be one to consider for your ICE collection. Every time I go the three dealers in South Florida I see more compressed inventory. Prices seem to be holding good. I recommend you drive one before you make your decision.

Thecadster, wthensler and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Skip the STO, keep the Performante- get a Pista.

Jordan68, Mikael-F360, LARRYH and 7 others like this.
  4. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agreed.

5. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    what do you think about a pista without the stripes? does it look odd or more elegant?

Thecadster likes this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I love my Pista. May I make a suggestion- where I live in Westchester NY, its almost impossible for me to get the Cup2 tires up to an optimal temp- and I have tried. Many times (I have about 3800 miles). I recently swapped them for MPS4S. I now have tires which are in their operational window most of the time and thus, I actually have more grip, and more feel, and most importantly, I am having MORE FUN. If you go drive one of these cars and don't get a lot of feeling via the steering- it can be had- with "better tires", ironically, by going "down" range. Once you get comfortable with it, with everything warmed, find some straight road and around 4,000 RPM drop it into 3rd gear and experience the horizon come at you real fast!

7. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Each to his/her own. The stripe flowing through the large S Duct gives the car exceptional definition in my opinion.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Odd to me.

9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #9 wthensler, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
    I’m set for the STO, but in your shoes, already owning a Performante, I’d certainly consider a Pista. Part of the answer is how you intend to use the car. I saw a Bianco Italia Pista a few weeks back at Ferrari of Central Florida - a real looker - and started wondering whether I should just cancel the F8 Spider.

But.......

I really have come to value the open air, visceral feel of a car on the open road, especially here in FL, so the only super car coupe I will own will be the STO. I think it’ll be a fun car, and being in FL I may track it a bit.

The F8 will be plenty fast for me - and truth be told - even the 458 ain’t too shabby. Driving a ‘slow’ car fast is a hoot. The inbound 327 small block Stingray is another matter, but it looks great and will fly under the radar in town.

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  10. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Love it. It’s beautiful, yet aggressive. Crazy performance on track. Behaves well on normal roads.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11, SECRET and Thecadster like this.
  11. I like my Pista so much, it’s my daily driver.

12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    PM me the details.

13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Oddly enough, and as crazy as this might sound, I have not driven any of my cars before I bought them. I purchased them simply off of reputation alone, and it’s always worked out. In the case of the Viper, I had never even sat in one. If it were a fraction of an inch smaller, I wouldn’t fit.

ScrappyB, Mickyd329 and SECRET like this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    You like your Pista? You see yourself keeping it? I feel like the STO is going to be turned up a little more than even the Performante. I absolutely love how raw the 765LT feels. It feels even more “race car” than the Viper or the Performante. I wonder if the STO might capture even more of that “race car” feel than the 765LT does.

ScrappyB and Shack like this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So I definitely like the stripes...

LARRYH and Pis7a2020 like this.
  16. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    the pista is such a beautiful form on the road. i just love being able to see it, and know i can do that amy moment in time.

my only regret when i drive it is not being being able to see it in motion!

as a great designer once told me as he was imploring why design matters, “other people’s automotive choices make the scenery of your commutes, your nights out, and your weekend drives.”

we were talking about car companies with ****/lazy industrial design.

17. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Excellent car. Street and track. Keeper. Pilota is the collector car, but I’m not selling the regular coupe or spider either.

18. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've found my perfect sports car in the Pista. I don't see myself selling it anytime soon.

LARRYH, Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I do like it. I do plan on keeping it. My house situation is pissing me off as we are still waiting on permits from the stupid city. But I want my Pista in my new garage for years to come.

20. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Well, you’re a big guy if I recall. With the exception of the F8, I never drove any of my other cars either. Sounds kind of silly, but I haven’t been disappointed at all.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Get it. Worse case scenario, if it doesn't live up to your expectations, which is doubtful, sell it.

22. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I love mine. Fun to drive fast, comfy to drive slow, and achingly beautiful everywhere in between. Every time I think I might trade it for something, I stop and realize there is little out there that is a better replacement for it. It is absolutely part of a balanced collection. When you consider people are spending the same money on a Countach, it suddenly looks like a bargain too. You even get some warranty and maintenace thrown in:).

23. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    This 2020 Pista is my 23rd Ferrari, and it is the most exciting one I have had. You just think about what you want to do, and the car just seems to know. Power, ride, looks, handling. My first, but not last, Grigio Ingrid, color is beautiful, and gets compliments from about everyone that see's it. Wow. What a car.

24. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Pista is a keeper - incredible beauty and performance. I love the stripe on my RC. Despite all the talk about Ferrari over-producing the coupe, I think it will hold value.

25. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    I've been blessed to own lots of exotics, probably more than I can count or remember. Present assortment includes a GT3RS (991.1), Ford GT, Challenge Stradale, 993TT, Porsche 930, and a few others. The Pista is my seventh mid-engine Ferrari.

I've owned my Pista for about a year and a half. I now have about 4000 miles under my belt, on varied roads and circumstances. As some may remember, I drove it to 212 mph in a measured event in Florida. I've driven it in the canyons near my home more times than I can count. In other words, I feel like I've experienced enough of the car to give it an honest appraisal.

The verdict is that is a keeper. Solid, quick, no detectable turbo lag, and easily the best engine of any car I have owned. EVER. While the GT3RS is magnificent in all of its NA glory, I still prefer the Turbo V8 of the Pista. Furthermore, it makes the wonderful Speciale feel a bit flat and underpowered. (I owned a Speciale, and I love the car, but the truth is the truth). The Pista is a towering achievement. I think it may be the best looking modern Ferrari, and with all due respect to the F8, I must say I prefer its extroverted styling.

I'm somewhat jaded after 30 years of owning everything from a VW GTI to a Carrera GT, but I have to say that the Pista has really won my heart. If you can locate a car that you like, buy it. I've a feeling that they are going to age well, just as is the case with my delicious CS.