Roma driving impressions anyone? | FerrariChat

Roma driving impressions anyone?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Puorro, May 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Puorro

Puorro Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Park Cities, TX
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    If anyone has driven the new Roma, I'm curious about the driving feel. Does it feel more "Mid-Front Engine" like the 812? Or more like a front-engine car "Corvette, Nissan Z, BMW Z" sitting on the rear axle feel.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

2. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tom: I have not driven the 812 but owned an F12. The F12 never felt like a mid engine car. In fact just the opposite. With that v12 up front it felt too much front loaded and handled poorly. Fast in a straight line but moved around too much when turning. Other more experienced drivers have said the same thing. I would expect the 812 to be similar.
    Now for the Roma. First of all it weighs 350 lbs less than my F12. That is huge. Second Ferrari pushed the engine in the Roma back to achieve a 50/50 weight balance. Although I have not been able to be too aggressive with the car while I am going thru the break in process I can feel the sportiness ( lightness ) of the car compared to the F12 and am enjoying it more. Looking forward to more "testing" when it gets broken in.

SVCalifornia likes this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The 812 is much sportier than the F12. That said, all three cars mentioned (812, F12, Roma) are front-mid engined and have more weight at the rear than the front (rear weight bias).

Neauvou and ryalex like this.
  4. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Published weight distribution for the Roma is 50/50.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The Roma feels nothing like an 812. The 812 feels very fron-mid mounted, more so than the F12 which does feel quite front heavy by comparison.

The Roma does not put you over the axle, so it's no BMW Z like or like a Merc GTR.

Not sure how I would classify the feeling. A mix of Jag F type and Merc SL AMG perhaps? Somewhat generic and not distinctive Ferrari.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    It’s sporty and feels nice for a GT street car. I had thought perhaps it was so quick it might be fun on the track. The weight of the car was too much and the turn-ins were far from track car worthy. This is not to denigrate the car as it certainly is not and was not designed to compete with the Pista or even the F8 as a track worthy car. It is a handsome and unique looking Ferrari. For a true GT, I find the wheel base a bit too short, as with the Cali and Porto. Longer wheel bases absorb the road differentiations better on a long drive. I routinely drive eight hours at a time at least twice a month, and prefer a bit heavier and longer car for the comfort.

So the car winds up being a nice daily driver in and about town. It has that unique look and in Bianco Fuji looks just enough like the ubiquitous Teslas soiling the landscape that I truly enjoy pulling alongside them, pushing manual, downshifting two or three gears, and flooring it so the people saving our planet know both what an engine sounds like and that I am not drinking the kool-aid.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Not as nose heavy as the F12, but that’s due to overall weight and not balance - F12 is rear biased 52-53%. Tighter steering to me.
    My thoughts after 30 mins test drive:

8. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    See if you can figure out how to DIM the touch pads on the steering wheel for night driving. Also on the light and mirror panel on the left side. Display pad in center gets washed out from sun do to its 45 degree angle. Spots up all the time. Get a micro fibre cloth. The nav display is not that great compared to so many out there. Too many touch pads. Try adjusting the side mirrors underway and you will find yourself taking your eyes off the road for way too long a time. Not safe. Adjust when stopped. I ordered the all leather interior but you can still see where they cut corners. My F12 interior was like a RR compared to the Roma. The door handles will get scratched over the years by people with long finger nails. Could have done better there. The walk away lock in irritating. Should have had a defeat setting for it like stop/start. For $$$$ you don't get a power close or open on the trunk/boot? I have said it before, the graphics display is mediocre. So many other manufactures have more advanced displays. For their first attempt I guess you have to give them credit but
    Ferrari could have done so much better. Also so many owners have received cars that had software errors of all kinds. Why were these cars released? Can't open it up yet. Have more miles to go. This is going to be my last Ferrari. No more paying max price and then receive mediocre service. I will keep it as long as it continues to interest me. Ferrari has changed. So have I. After this, adios.

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have to say the build quality may not be up to snuff on the latest cars out of the factory. I was at Corso Pilota last week and they had a new fleet of f8's with 40 miles on each. We were doing the auto cross track and in two different cars, when I hit the brakes hard and swerved (as instructed) the button panel above the driver where the auto on off and dome lights are mounted, fell out. No worries it popped back in easily but it happened the same way on a different car the next time I did the course.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  10. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Hahahaha

Twosherpaz likes this.
  11. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I found the Roma to have a very taught feel and was fun to drive. It seems to be much smaller in person than it appears in photos, and this impression is heightened when behind the wheel. I felt like I was driving a small car (not from the comfort standpoint - the Roma is very comfortable) from the perspective of having the car wrapped around you, and easily able to determine where all edges were located. You definitely feel like you can sling this car around and could easily maneuver through city traffic without fear of clearing the long nose or width of the car. The Roma hasn't lost the go-kart kind of feel that I've enjoyed in the rear-mid engine Ferraris. It's not designed to be a track star, but its road handling won't leave many wanting from a joy of driving perspective. Again, the Roma was fun to drive and made me smile. For me, the sound was also a pleasant surprise, being more aggressive and louder than I imagined it would be.

dreadwing007, gw32 and SVCalifornia like this.
  12. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX