Cold start | FerrariChat

Cold start

Discussion in '308/328' started by Stenley, May 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    Hey guys - looking for some direction on a cold start issue. My ‘89 GTS has been a slow starter for a while but always gets there. Latest development is she started hesitantly this morning, I let her run for 5 mins and then when I put it in reverse to back out of my garage it just stopped. Did this 3 or 4 times (started, then turned off when engaging reverse) and then just wouldn’t start.

As I said, she’s always a little hesitant to start but the cutting out when putting it in reverse is a new development. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    So the starter cranks the engine normally (normal cranking speed) but it takes a while before the engine fires/ runs?
    When you engaged reverse, did it stall when you placed the shifter in reverse or when you let out the clutch?
    What is the Fast Idle RPM when started from cold and what is idle RPM when the engine is at operating temp?

3. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Wow...it could be any of a dozen things.

Time to methodically eliminate one possibility at a time.

Have you made any changes to the car recently? Is the gasoline fresh? How’s your fuel filter and air filter? Sparkplugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor all in good shape? Does it only stall when cold? What’s the idle rpm? Is the auxiliary air valve under the coolant tank working properly? Any vacuum leaks?

I could go on and on, but you get the idea...focus on one thing at a time and see where you’re not getting either spark, fuel or air (it’s got to be one of those three).

I know it’s frustrating but take comfort in the fact that the 328 is, fundamentally, a very simple machine. If you keep digging you’ll find the cause.

Good luck. Please keep us posted...

Alan
    N.J.

4. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    1. She cranks normally, catches and starts fast but it’s just kind of hesitant and sounds like it’s going to stall out. But doesn’t.
    2. Stalled this morning when I took my foot off the clutch
    3. Idles are about the same. Right around 1000 rpm. A little higher at start, a little lower when warm. But generally around 1000.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Also check to make sure your Frequency Valve is vibrating while the engine is running. See the other threads on this subject to learn more.

Alan
    N.J.

6. newto308

newto308 Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    McLean, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There are several video's on Youtube that go over all the major components of the Bosch K-Tronic injection, what they do and how they work (). It's hard to help you trouble shoot this without knowing control pressures. However, given the title of the thread, I would start troubleshooting with the Cold Start Valve on the fuel Injector (this is the line from the fuel meter that does to the main body, not one of the cylinders). For the most part, K-tronic is a very simple system and there are only a few components on the system that assist with a cold engine start.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The video is a good initial primer for the K-Jet without Lambda system so would apply directly to a euro version 328, but, since the OP is in Los Angeles, he probably has a US version 328 which is a K-Jet with Lambda system so has some significant differences (although one needs to learn K-Jet without Lambda before learning K-Jet with Lambda). If a US version 328, I like Alan's suggestion to confirm/deny if the frequency valve is vibrating (it should vibrate whenever the fuel pump is running) as the initial diagnostic step. We've had many instances on the K-Jet with Lambda and KE-Jet with Lambda systems where something goes wrong in the protection relay function, disabling the frequency valve (or EHA on KE-Jet/KE3-Jet), and then the Mechanic (wrongly) "fixes" things by tweaking the manual mixture screw. This can make warm-running OK-ish, but starting and cold-running will be negatively impacted. If the frequency valve is properly vibrating when the fuel pump is running, the next diagnostic steps IMO would be to confirm/deny if the cold and warm control pressures set by the WUR are still reasonable as Chris suggested. Good Hunting!

Brian Harper likes this.
  8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I had a similar issue a few months ago with my 308 Euro QV. Car would start OK- ish, let it run for a bit and start to back out of the garage, it would just quit. Crank and crank but wouldn’t fire. Pushed it back into the garage and put a full charge on the battery , then installed a quick disconnect on the positive battery cable just for good measure. Thinking low Battery and possibly flooding it cranking it over. Haven’t had another issue. Maybe I’m just lucky.